Jolly Rogers history in 1/72 (31 planes)

This is a sneak preview of a series of online articles I'll be doing at another site, my Jolly Rogers history collection. I built most of these between the years 2000 and 2008, just completed a second Super Hornet to represent this decade (2010's). As some of these planes don't exist in kit form (i.e. F9F-6 and F9F-7, F8U-2/F-8C) there was a LOT of scratchbuilding modification going on. Add to that the fact that many of these markings did not exist in decal form during the period it was built, and the markings challenge was ALWAYS an issue.

I mentioned a decade-relation with the Super Hornet, meaning I wanted one good scheme for the 2000's and for the 2010's, to be repeated in the 2020's. I did the same for the Tomcats. One good F-14A scheme for the 1970's, one for the 1980's and again for the 90's. Same with VF-103's F-14B's, one from the 1990's and again for the 2000's. Additionally I wanted to represent each F6F Hellcat type flown during the war (F6F-3, F6F-5, F6F-5P); I only lack the F6F-5N, as I've never found any decent photos of a VF-17 radar Hellcat although they did have them assigned.

Some other types are repeated; for instance, the F6F-5P, F4U-4 and apparently the F8F-1 were flown in different markings under both VF-17 and VF-5B. 

During the build I amassed a good volume of unpublished photos especially from the 1950's during the VF-61 years. 

The collection took 2nd place in the Collections category at IPMS Nationals in 2010.

Hope you enjoy!

IF54gHk.jpg

ufkHaWk.jpg

BGSpsou.jpg

3TYQ8Nu.jpg

eW04dAB.jpg

Edited by Andrew D Jolly Rogers guy
  • Like 45
  • Thanks 5

Ah, nice. I remember visiting them while docked in Stokes Bay, pre- tone down. At that time they were a Tomcat operator.

an impressive collection :) 

Martin

• Like 1

Wow.  Superb collection. I especially like the 60s-70s era of Demon, Crusader and Phantom.  Are the aircraft in chronological order?  I must say I rather like unit history and heraldry so this collection is particularly appealing. 

Kindest, sincerest thanks for all the gracious comments!

Here are a few more shots, broken down by squadron designation. 

Here is VF-17 only:

HhXX8Nb.jpg

Here is VF-5B:

VY96FAe.jpg

And VF-61, the end of the original lineage and my favorite lineup:

RlLFKio.jpg

Then hijacking VF-84:

d9utYPr.jpg

And finally the hijacking of VF-103, then VFA-103:

wPPJz4L.jpg

• Like 7

What a fantastic collection!  I'm quite envious. Interesting to see the various types side by side, I never realised the Demon was so large compared to, say, the Crusader. 

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...