Sopwith Camel cockpit decking question

JackG

Are there any known dates or time frame for when the Camel's decking began to be cut down around the machine guns? 

Was it done at the factory or a field modification?

regards,

Jack

From "Camels of the 'Aces'" by Carl Surman, (Airfix Magazine, May 1969, pp. 394-5, 397), "the starboard side of the ply panel enclosing the gun breech block was sometimes cut away to facilitate gun clearing", from which I've always assumed it was a field modification.  But the state of our collective knowledge may have advanced in the intervening 49 years.

HTH

Seahawk, thank you for responding.  You have also answered another question I had as to 'why' it was done, so obviously it was something not dependent on the engine type.

The aircraft I'm building is from June 1917, so am thinking it safe to have the cutout present.

regards,

Jack

56 minutes ago, hacker said:

what version are you doing? F-1?

hacker

Yes, Eduard's F.1 in RNAS service. 

More specifically N6347 when on June 5th it would be the first Camel air-frame to score an air victory, flown by Canadian pilot Alexander MacD Shook for 4th Naval Squadron.

regards,

Jack

Hacker, thank you for the offer, but I have been able to view the 'BR.1' instructions (and quite often at that) directly from Wingnut's website. It's there I noticed their first decal option A 'Black Maria' is of a machine from Dec. 1917 and it has standard deck fitting with no cutouts - reason why I brought up this question/thread.

regards,

Jack

I am also under the impression that it was a field modification as one of the most noted drawbacks around the armament of the Camel was access to the breaches while in the air. You have to be careful though and get the right mod for the particular aircraft if you can find it. I was left a bit confused by the WnW Br.1 instructions and had to contact Richard Alexander for clarification. On the particular aircraft I built (Donner Wetter) in the photo you can 'just' make out the way the decking is cut away on the Port side.

Thanks Beardie.  As far as I can find, no photos appear to exist of N6347, at least not on the internet.  Perhaps once I finish the build, something will surface ...

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

Best guess I reckon then would be trying to find any photos of other Naval 4 Camels and seeing if any of them show a cutout in the 'hump'. If the fitters did it a certain way for one they would have probably done it the same for all.

Just found your build on the WW1 forum and it looks like a great wee model you are creating :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thank you Beardie.  We are thinking the same,  and I have tried doing a general image search on Naval 4 Camel  from 1917.   A search of Bray Dunes (base of operations) from the same year also yields zilch

The only possible image found is a trio of pics N6332, and I only mention it because I'm assuming it is from the same production batch, and possibly delivered to 4 RNAS. 

https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/camels-dolphins/

Nevertheless, the machine looks quite new, probably just delivered as the tail fin is still clear dope finish.   One photo is clearly marked as 'Clerget' and I always thought RNAS  preferred the Bentley engines, so likely a false lead?

regards,

Jack

Unfortunately I can't find any pics of Naval 4 Camels in the reference material I have either. Problem is as well that, even if you find pics, chances are that area will be in shade from the wings and so it's hard to make out just what is and isn't there. Looking at most of the profile drawings of Camels as well it would seem that, in virtually all of them the artist haven't even tried to depict that area in anything other than 'factory standard' layout.

Beardie, thanks again.

I'll just go with Eduard's optional piece with the front portion of the combing removed.   At least it allows a bit better view of all the work I put into the interior.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1