GWH 1/48 Su-35SK "Flanker E" PLAAF 6th Brigade

Hi Yufei,

Thank you very much for this hugely informative WIP!

A couple of questions, if I may.

1. The cockpit rear bulkhead. Gabor wrote in his WIP that during the design-stage, little information was available on the rear bulkhead of the cockpit. The detail incorporated on the rear bulkhead of the kit look like details that also can be found on the rear bulkhead of the Su-27, only mirrored. Do you know if there is more info avalable now regarding wiring etc.?

2. I noticed that you’ve painted the rear main gear well “ceilings” aluminium. Is that also on RuAF aircraft or only for PLAAF aircraft?

3. You’ve painted the inside of the intakes in a grey tone. Is that also universal or only for the PLAAF? If I’ve been paying attention correctly, Russian/Soviet aircraft often had metal colored intake interiors? Maybe that changed in efforts to minimize the radar cross-section?

I hope you can find time to answer these questions, I look forward to any next installments of your Su-35!

Cheers,

Erik B.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for watching and sorry for the abesence guys.

Met some accident during my summer vocation in Koh Samui when I slippered in swimming pool and my foot thumb nail had to be removed by surgery.

During my rest at home finally finished weapon painting.

Besides the AA missiles provided by GWH I also added B-13L rocket launchers which are very common for PLAAF training.

The outloads, look simple but took tons of efforts and patience.

Different colours and surface texture means many masking works, both spray work and brush paint.

And since outloads are usually stored very well they are generally brand new, which means you need to paint them as neat as you can since no weathering trick to cover your miss.

ZQssN80.jpg 

• Like 5

Under some aspect you can find the different surface texture on the missiles.

Gloss, semi gloss, flat or metalic

This shows how good a modeller has spent time to learn and understand the missile in real life.

Meanwhile a great fun from modelling as well.  

FBC1nI5.jpg

• Like 3

Actually I almost finished camo on main parts, but now pending to Chinese font stencils which are under designing.

I cannot paint other colors on other details since I need to spray the semi gloss surface once decals attached, to make different surface texture on the fuselage again, like what I did on missiles.

So let me save the explanation to next update.

txlr9QQ.jpg

To be continued...... 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2018 at 12:28 AM, ErikB said:

Hi Yufei,

Thank you very much for this hugely informative WIP!

A couple of questions, if I may.

1. The cockpit rear bulkhead. Gabor wrote in his WIP that during the design-stage, little information was available on the rear bulkhead of the cockpit. The detail incorporated on the rear bulkhead of the kit look like details that also can be found on the rear bulkhead of the Su-27, only mirrored. Do you know if there is more info avalable now regarding wiring etc.?

2. I noticed that you’ve painted the rear main gear well “ceilings” aluminium. Is that also on RuAF aircraft or only for PLAAF aircraft?

3. You’ve painted the inside of the intakes in a grey tone. Is that also universal or only for the PLAAF? If I’ve been paying attention correctly, Russian/Soviet aircraft often had metal colored intake interiors? Maybe that changed in efforts to minimize the radar cross-section?

I hope you can find time to answer these questions, I look forward to any next installments of your Su-35!

Cheers,

Erik B.

Hi Erik

Sorry for my delay since I did not access to the forum for a while.

Regarding your questions,

1. So far still not too much info available, unfortunately...sorry for that.

2. Yes same on both Russian and Chinese airframes since that was the factory standard painting.

3. I checked the Russian Su-35 photos and found they are the same color with Chinese ones. So I believe again, that was the factory standard painting.

Yufei

• Thanks 1

On 08/09/2018 at 13:30, haneto said:

Hi Erik

Sorry for my delay since I did not access to the forum for a while.

Regarding your questions,

1. So far still not too much info available, unfortunately...sorry for that.

2. Yes same on both Russian and Chinese airframes since that was the factory standard painting.

3. I checked the Russian Su-35 photos and found they are the same color with Chinese ones. So I believe again, that was the factory standard painting.

Yufei

Thank you for your answers, Yufei! Glad you’re still busy with this project. The weaponry looks great, I just hate the Russians who thought of the waffle-iron fins for the R-77’s! :) I understand that in injection-moulded plastic they can’t be see-through, the current aftermarket solution of stacking PE pieces doesn’t look too convincing either, I’m afraid.... Slotting very fine strips of brass or plastic together to form the pattern seems to me to be the only convincing-looking solution. I already start to hyperventilate when I think how many strips I have to cut with a scalpel to make those tiny slots!

I hope your foot problem will be healed soon! 

Cheers, Erik.

• 1 month later...

So almost another month passed an what did I do?

1. I scratch built the PLA Flanker pilot for the diorama and made resin cast copies for sale.

2. I finished checking the PLAAF decal design for the upcoming limited edition kit, and am now waiting for the decal printing for my built utilization.

3. I painted 2 exhaust nozzles.

Since many people ask "how to paint Flanker nozzles/engine naccels", I summarized the "how to" by 18 steps.

It took me about 1 week to finish 2 nozzles by 1 hour per working day before sleeping + 2 whole weekend days.

CV4JUSY.jpg

eSMF7Ww.jpg

tmUXDU4.jpg

5wOvIJt.jpg

ZLEnNCS.jpg

AlLtTdT.jpg

To be continued...

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

• 3 months later...

So no one's interested in this thread on a British forum?

Okay, whatever.

I just post the left progress to terminate this built.

So I first finished camo spray.

Both color and camo pattern on PLAAF scheme is different than RusAF, which has been fully reflected on the newest GWH S4810 kit so I'll save my words here.

Oo3NS0B.jpg

iSEw8qI.jpg

As you can see I have built the radar so I want to show it with radome not glued.

I added 3 micro maganets inside the radome and also beneath radar part, to assure radome hold tighter.

6HD7BxM.jpg

And I emphasize again: the lightning stripes on Su-35 radome are recessed and silver!

D7znFfZ.jpg

• Like 3

Next is the naked bare metal burnt effect on engine naccels.

Many may think it quite headache to replicate but I believe after careful studying on the real life photos, you can find some hints and regular pattern for them.

For example, the number of the obvious burnt "lines" on the panels, is same on every aircraft.

That is because of the factory manufacture process and AF-41F engine heating features are always SAME.

So some quantization work(base color and pattern on panels), plus some sensibility work (weathring effect) will make this replication much easier.

Yes, thinking by brain before making by fingers, is always the short cut to success.

YT7x0OT.jpg

Aco35ru.jpg

VO9Lkhw.jpg

Model vs real life.

43sAnGi.jpg

E3CBnDk.jpg

8ICXO7G.jpg

HGy8A4i.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Stabilizers are bit more complex.

On different angles the metal reflection effect is very different, which is more challenging but also interesting.

My first thought is to use some laser reflection sheet, but I hate the sheet may come off over several years and painting on the sheet is really no fun.

So finally I still decide the paint the effect as more conservative but steady way.

fRqQWDF.jpg

kXsl2JK.jpg 

And done.

UCklLB9.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Some details were also painted.

Since the PLAAF Su-35 are brand new, parked in hangar and very well maintenanced, I made very little weathering on it.

But still my friend who works in PLAAF was not happy enough and commented "it's still not clean enough!".

Well in a world where people are use to heavey taste fast food, maybe it's too clean to catch some people's attention, haha!

Another word I'd like to emphasize is that I used different texture paint on different areas on the plane.

Gloss, semi-gloss, flat, metalic, etc.

Why bother that much?

Because the real aircraft is just like that!

Different paint just has different texture on the real life and I must replicate them after studying so many photos!

That's the fun of modelling, isn't it?

PHwzxQ3.jpg

Q1PyyNW.jpg

1IXc06Y.jpg

0ZzqJi9.jpg

tg3d8WV.jpg

iIpkp9K.jpg

55mIDwT.jpg

ODNnEd8.jpg

ZnosHzb.jpg

HmVT9ut.jpg

TVajxBk.jpg

8TgvgDR.jpg

cCex88h.jpg

iSjr3Ts.jpg

yAcrUcC.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I mentioned in previous reply, cut some material from the install pins, could greatly enhance the assembling of intake/engine parts on fuselage.

Look, seamless!

FMypFFs.jpg

vY3m3fw.jpg

4diR3fw.jpg

Still 2 gaps over wing root, needs to be filled/sanded/painted.

No compromise for a geniune air modeller!!

6bCE0lS.jpg

jwI3Cld.jpg

cmO8Llr.jpg

KeUugV8.jpg

I glued wheels at last, to assure all weighted wheels flat surface attach the absolutely flat glass seamless.

These tiny skills could greatly improve your model overall finish effect.

Devils are in Details!

6fjntdY.jpg

bBemA3Q.jpg 

• Like 2