High Speed Siver

Jetgrob

Hi

I am looking to build A Vampire, Meteor and Canberra all in High Speed Silver.

My question is what paint is a good match for this colour.

I live in Canada and Xtracolour is not available and neither at the moment is Humbrol metalcote. ( I was going to use Humbrol Aluminium metalcote)

I do have access to

Humbrol, (Full range except metalcote)

Vallejo, (Full range including the metal range.)

AK, (Full range including the metal range.)

Tamiya, (Full range.)

Mr hobby. (Full range including the metal range.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 hours ago, Magua87 said:

Tamiya AS-12 Lacquer in the spray can is a good choice. You can either spray direct from the can or decant for spraying from an airbrush (my preferred method). 

Yes AS-12 spray can is what you need

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:05 PM, Seawinder said:

FWIW, although you didn't mention the brand, Alclad also does High Speed Silver (ALC 125). Alclad is almost always my choice for metallics.

Unfortunately Hannant's listing of such paints (Alcald 2) only goes as far as ALC124, then starts again at ALC201!

Could you possibly re-confirm the number as there are lots of other 'Silvers'!

17 minutes ago, Denford said:

Unfortunately Hannant's listing of such paints (Alcald 2) only goes as far as ALC124, then starts again at ALC201!

Could you possibly re-confirm the number as there are lots of other 'Silvers'!

Well, I just Googled Alclad 125, and there it was, available at a bunch of sites.

Humbrol 11 is a good choice as HSS is a silver grey.  HSS is not metallic at all so I would stay away from metalcote type paints.  When the RAF moved to polyurethane paints in the late 60's and they could not produce at that time a HSS paint in polyurethane for technical reasons , the colour they chose to replace it,  as they considered it the closest match was Light Aircraft Grey.

Selwyn

Edited by Selwyn
  • Thanks 2

I’m given to understand that high speed silver weathered to an almost mat silver/aluminium. There is a fine example of a meteor T7 at the Newark air museum that’s kept outside and I’ve managed to just about match its colour. Ive found that spraying on a really bright shiny silver from a rattle can then, after a coat of clear and decals I spray on a Matt varnish.. it looks ok to me anyway 🤔

Edited by speedbird

58 minutes ago, speedbird said:

I’m given to understand that high speed diver weathered to an almost mat silver/aluminium. There is a fine example of a meteor T7 at the Newark air museum that’s kept outside and I’ve managed to just about match its colour. Ive found that spraying on a really bright shiny silver from a rattle can then, after a coat of clear and decals I spray on a Matt varnish.. it looks ok to me anyway 🤔

The RNZAF had Vampires in High Speed Silver (HSS), and if you look at these two photos of an Ex RNZAF Vampire at MOTAT

here in Auckland (under cover) you can see the Silver/Aluminium colour

fef81fb0-39fb-41f7-98e3-a4288199de71.jpg

614ef64d-6a91-4db1-a730-6fbe4d0ade39.jpg

Reiterating Selwyn's post above

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

Humbrol 11 is a good choice as HSS is a silver grey.  HSS is not metallic at all so I would stay away from metalcote type paints.  When the RAF moved to polyurethane paints in the late 60's and they could not produce at that time a HSS paint in polyurethane for technical reasons , the colour they chose to replace it,  as they considered it the closest match was Light Aircraft Grey.

Selwyn

It was a 50/50 ratio of Aluminum and Clear cellulose Dope paints.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

HSS as mentioned is a silvery grey, initially gloss but wore to matt (er) finish. Almost every image of it looks different. In the past  I've used Citadel Mithril Silver, it has a fine fleck but definitely not NMF. Still too shiny I think. Very recently I tried Xtracolor HSS but again too shiny so I experimented with using a a light grey filter ( very thin GS light aircraft grey) and was pretty happy with the result. As long as no one  paints it as a NMF such as Alclad or AK Extreme I'm good. 

HunterT7-30.jpg

Edited by JamesP
  • Like 1

On Heller instruction sheets, the colour is described as 'Gris Perle'; Pearl Grey.  I was thinking of Humbrol 191, but on reflection that looks too light to me, and 56 too dark.  I've always found 11 too shiny; and don't Humbrol reckon that their metallics cannot be overcoated? 

Edited by Chillidragon

This is what I use, with two examples of how it turns out. I don't know how exactly accurate it is in terms of BS number, etc - but it looks good enough to me ...

2hn3q4w.jpg

I used to post photos on here at one time, but stopped when I accidently came across some which had been stolen and posted on various websites worldwide.............its quiet a shock when you type in searching for an item and when the results appear, you see a completely different web site, hosting your pictures

Citadel Mithril Silver is my favourite for HSS, with a thin coat of Windsor & Newton Galleria satin or matt varnish over the top. They discontinued Mithril Silver a while ago though but Runefang Steel is supposed to be the equivalent replacement. I haven't tried that yet though as I've still got a couple of the old pots stashed away. A couple of my efforts using it,

Vampire-_T11-_WZ581-3.jpg

Tempest-_TT5-_NV711.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Have also used Mithril Silver before, under a satin varnish. Runefang Steel seems

to me to be a bit coarser grained and more metallic looking.

Also used Xtracrylix RLM01 Silber. 

All these metallic colours can be toned down using small amounts of white

or light grey.

Cheers, Paul

I use Halford's Aluminium for my HSS, I have a few unused Canberra panels painted HSS silver and they are a quite 'dull' satin silver, but like all aircraft paint pick what you like and you can probably find a photo of an aircraft in HSS to match. 

vvEUcO.jpg

John  

• Like 3