1/72 Airfix P-40B Tomahawk

So I finally decided to attempt 2 builds, well it is the RAF 100 and should make a bit of an effort :rambo: First one is this ebay purchase with no box, instructions or decals in other words bought because it was cheap :lol: However, I have a sheet of Tomahawk decals with the required roundels and squadron markings... should be enough to complete a build. One thing to look at is the canopy as it appears to sit too high, at this stage not sure what can be done to lower it. Canopy rails maybe a bit on the thick side too. I'll have a ponder while I start painting the cockpit :hmmm: Will post the second build thread as soon as I decided on what other kit in the stash to retrieve.

39651349110_1409b9b3ef_b.jpg

• Like 2

Welcome to the build.  I haven't seen that kit, so I'll follow with interest.

No instructions? I don't know if it helps, but, there is a scan of the Warhawk instructions on the Scalemates site:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/7/5/963675-24-instructions.pdf

It looks as if there should be two canopies - shown in the last step

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Welcome to the build.  I haven't seen that kit, so I'll follow with interest.

No instructions? I don't know if it helps, but, there is a scan of the Warhawk instructions on the Scalemates site:

https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/6/7/5/963675-24-instructions.pdf

It looks as if there should be two canopies - shown in the last step

Thanks, that's for the 1/48 although it would have helped if Airfix done 2 canopies for the 1/72. As it is I did manage to get a better fit by sanding all round the bottom edge of the canopy, still not perfect - might give the frame a bit of sanding, does look heavy for the intended scale.

Going back to the instructions, already have a set courtesy of another kit, haven't completed the other P-40 as I'm rethinking the scheme:

27008739798_81749c4df4_b.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Made a start with painting the interior and assembling some of the parts. Pilot painted too and just needs another coat. Think I'll be happier when everything is together and ready for painting the camo scheme. Doesn't appear to be many steps to get there... hopefully

40271649080_cf9f7a8b65_b.jpg

Edited by Knight_Flyer
  • Like 3

Wings are on :penguin:  Not a particularly good fit as is typical Airfix, usual filler required. Dry run of upper cowling and again filler would be needed. Pilot was sitting too low and had to glue him part way up the seat. Don't know if in reality, the pilot would be seated on parachute hence the height difference :giles:

Think I'll add the undercart next and then it will give me a guide to gluing the tail planes level.

42113981631_b9145778ab_b.jpg

Edited by Knight_Flyer
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has resumed and struggling somewhat to get a good result. Landing gear was a real pain and I'm sure the leg is too long. Also, the way the P-40 leg is designed means there is a good chance the Airfix model will start bending on the undercart due to the soft plastic. Nothing I can do as unlike the other models, there's no surrounding area to make another attachment to strengthen it. Lastly, the brown is a mare to paint - I need to review how I'm thinning it as it's going on like treacle at the moment or molasses :chef:

Oh and the rudder was a pain too, I really wish Airfix wouldn't do it as a separate part. It doesn't add anything to the model if it's angled right or left and less so if ailerons, elevators, flaps are in the neutral position.

41796103535_2c994131a4_b.jpg

42646611112_91298d4dd7_b.jpg

1 hour ago, Knight_Flyer said:

the brown is a mare to paint - I need to review how I'm thinning it as it's going on like treacle at the moment or molasses :chef:

What paint are you using?  And what thinner?

15 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

What paint are you using?  And what thinner?

Humbrol and Humbrol. Actually I was comparing the shade against other models painted in the same camo. Not entirely happy how it looks and going to try a different colour of brown. Hopefully that one wont turn out to be difficult to mix.

Humbrol acrylics?  Thinned with ?water?

Or enamels thinned with ?white spirit?

As you said earlier, try a different thinner.  Humbrol's own if you've used a cheaper option (vice versa if not).

Isopropyl alcohol is said to work with acrylics - but tends to evaporate too fast for hairy stick brushing and takes the water with it.

BTW, I'm thinking of doing a Fokker Dr.1 in the WWI GB, and your streaked brown would be great for that!

• Like 1

More progress. Not entirely happy with the paint finish but you get to a point where you just want to complete the build. Managed to paint the canopy and that proved a lot of bother too. Some of the masking missed a frame or two and then the quarter windows got in the way of the canopy fit. I did modify the canopy to sit better and that may have changed how it usually all goes together. Had that once with a hob and oven. Bought different brands and they wouldn't fit properly together into the worktop. Changed oven to the same brand as hob and both fitted perfectly :chef: So with the quarters I had to shorten the length and bevel the edge before canopy would fit. It's not fitted in the photo as I'm waiting for the paint to dry on the quarter frame.

At this stage, finish the painting and to do the exhaust stubs, prop, fit canopy and pitot... then decal time

28977379888_6830a63630_b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knight_Flyer said:

Changed oven to the same brand as hob and both fitted perfectly :chef:

:rofl:

I'm glad it is getting there.

That brown should look fine with a bit of weathering after your decals.

• Like 1

Right, this is where we're up to. Paint pretty much all there just need to do a bit of touch up in places. Canopy on without too much of a problem. Prop all done. Exhaust needs painting as well as guns and also need to do the sky fuselage band... and don't forget the pitot :viking:

Think I'll wait a week for paint to thoroughly dry before doing anything else. Also gives me a chance to make a start on the 262. Already dry fitted the engines and I cannot believe what a momentous mess they made of it. It's almost like the wing and nacelle weren't designed to fit on each other, I even tried swapping the nacelles round in case the instructions were wrong. I sincerely hope Airfix doesn't continue this as a trend, otherwise they may as well move to Eastern Europe and label their kits short run 🧛‍♂️

42983872841_97c728ab38_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Finally all done. I kept the weather to the barest minimum as I think this P-40 may have been one diverted from a French order. The squadron also only flew the type for 6 months before transitioning onto Spits.

Overall a typical Airfix kit, a few areas that could be better - canopy looks a tad oversize, gear leg tad too long and prop blades tad too narrow. The saving grace is no other P-40B kit out there that's better than the Airfix... nearest is a rehashed Frog from the 60's

43517948892_75615161a0_b.jpg

• Like 4

Nice to see these kits getting finished this weekend. Your Tomahawk looks great and you’ve done a great overall job. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2

Don’t know how I missed this one. Think the Tomahawk suits the green and earth camouflage and this is a good result. Really like that well done