Toyota MR2 SW20

When I first spray painted the body in Tamiya TS-88 Titanium Silver, I was wondering if I'd chosen the right thing.  A bare body without further additions, it just looked really... gold. I'd seen an MR2 on the internet (a real one) in a similar colour and it looked really elegant. So I coupled this with an interior colour I'd also seen online and once the details started to build up, I was very happy with the body colour choice.

Additions to the boxed kit are: Aerial stub, seat belt retainers, seat belts, number plate anti tamper bolts and thinner number plates. Also I changed the steering wheel for one more matching my online inspiration. The rest of the kit really does the job. The wheels even have moulded-in air valves.If there is one (or in this case three) criticisms of this Fujimi kit, it's that a) Everything is moulded in Red, not a great colour to cover, b ) the front undertray-front-suspension-moulded-in-one part has really poor contact areas with the main body undertray, and is a pain to stay fixed in place and finally c) The ride height is too high, but it's at least not too hard to remedy that, as I did.

I'm quite glad in this instance that Fujimi omitted side windows as it allows the details of the interior to be nicely seen.

fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_01.jpg
fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_02.jpg
fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_03.jpg
fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_04.jpg
fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_05.jpg
fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_06.jpg
fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_07.jpg
fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_08.jpg
fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_09.jpg
fujimi-toyota-mr2-sw20_10.jpg

• Like 22

• 2 weeks later...

Good job. 

Cleaner than the majority I saw on the road. The interior colour works well with the body colour.  I like the addition of the MOMO style wheel. 

I owned a red T-Bar who's spoiler needed a monthly T cut to stop it being pink. 

Brother owned a T-Bar and a Tin top.

A really fun car, who's value is currently going up and up.

Congratulations on a clean build.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice finish on the body colour and the panel lines. 👍

Yet it appears to me that the rear spoiler has not been properly attached, it is too high and needs to be further "pushed" into the fixing holes. Compare it to an original car image, and you'll see what I mean...

• 1 year later...

Just stumbled over this while looking for MR2 info on undertrays (to save me crawling under mine looking!)

I've recently acquired one of these and am facing a task or two.

It's based on a Jap/US spec Rev 3 tin top, mine is a UK spec T-Bar, so lots to do.

Looking over the kit, I've so far noticed:

The wheels are over scale, they scale to 17", Mr T only ever fitted 15", but the rolling dia is correct (low profile tyres).

The underside detail is poor. Exhaust is wrong, cat moulding is awful and I think there's a few undertrays missing (see above).

Little things to change are side indicator repeaters off from the trim line and mounted on the upper wing.

Rectangular number plates, which will entail digging out the rear valance recess - tricky.

I thought I would have trouble with the Rev 2 rear spoiler wraparound, but the pieces are there in the box (?)

Modify rear lights to be smooth rectangle (prefer them anyway on the real thing)

and then...T-Bar roof - not at all sure how I'll do that.

I may post the build if it looks to be going OK!!

Re. above posts on MR2s.

On 4/14/2018 at 8:52 PM, Redshift said:

Does the kit include leaky door seals and an odd smell in the cockpit?

Mine doesn't do that - hooray.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:21 AM, Cooper645 said:

I owned a red T-Bar who's spoiler needed a monthly T cut to stop it being pink

Very typical of the reds. I nearly bought an entire pink car before I got my white one.

On 4/28/2018 at 9:21 AM, Cooper645 said:

A really fun car, who's value is currently going up and up

Fun, yes, increasing value - still debatable. Would help if people like Heritage would recognise it as a classic, like they do the MX5.

Edited by MR2Don

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2020 at 4:10 PM, Ben Brown said:

Beautiful job! I love the 2nd gen MR2. 

I have that kit in my stash. How did you fix the ride height on yours?

Ben

Thanks. Bending, mainly. Bending the chassis at the front and tucking it further up at the back. No cutting involved but I had to glue in some strengthening parts to keep the newly bent chassis in place.

Having just been outside to mine, I can confirm that, with a standard ride height, the distance from the top of the trim line to the ground, immediately where it intersects the rear of the front wheel arch, is 540mm. Similarly, at the front edge of the rear arch, it is 610mm.

I've dry assembled my kit and measured it and the ride height matches these figures scaled down by 1/24, i.e. 22.5mm front, 24mm rear, so it appears no need to lower the kit.

If the OP had achieved the dimension in a similar way, maybe his subject car had been lowered - many have been. The other thing that might cause confusion is the wheels scale wrong, should be 15", scale to 17", although the rolling diameter is right at 24". Tyre width is wrong for standard, should be 195 front, 225 rear, with 17" wheels, typical is 215 and 245, model scales to 250mm all round (and that's a shame). Nothing wrong with 17" on a Mk2, (many people do, as 225/50x15" tyres are very rare now), it's just Mr T never produced them to the MR2 pattern.

Can't have everything, though!😉

Ehmm...is this turning into an MR2 forum?🤔