1/72 MIG-21MF/bis upper wing panel question

MVW

40736831514_bace5c33d7_b_d.jpg

Hello,

after receiving my Eduard #2124 Library Edition of the MIG-21MF, I spent some time comparing it with the RV kits of the MIG-21MF, MFN and bis.

As further reference I used «Mikoyan MIG-21», Midland Publishing 2008, ISBN 978 1 85780 257 3 (Reference 1)

What puzzles me most are the wing upper surfaces panel lines. RV encloses two versions in their kit, one with a slim panel with rounded edges and one without it. See picture: A with this panel, B without.

Eduards MIG-21MF is, according to the kits instructions, a Gorky built aircraft and these MF incorporated modifications from bis aircraft already in production there. Inofficially, MF’s built in Gorky are designated MF-75 and are distinguishable by their 8-digit serial numbers vs. 6 digit serial numbers for aircraft built in Moscow (1). The kit from Eduard has the B wing, so in accordance with (1). RV’s MIG-21 MFN uses the B wing, what makes sense, since the MFN are modified Gorky produced MF’s.

Interestingly, RV’s MIG-21 bis instructs to use the A wing, where I awaited a B wing. In my neighbourhood there is a Czech MIG-21MF on display, serial 965210, which is a Moscow built aircraft and has the A wing.

I supposed the B wing is for Gorky produced MF’s and bis, all bis except the Indian license production are from Gorky (1). This contradicts with RV’s MIG-21bis instructions.

So far I haven’t found a picture of a bis where I can proof which wing it was equipped with. Or has the bis type also two different wings like the MF's? Can anyone help solve this puzzle?

Thanks a lot

Martin

Hello Martin

I do not know if it helps but there is a type 75B (MiG-21 bis with Polyot OI, Fishbed-N) pilot's notes book which shows wing without oval panel. Given that Fishbed-N was the second MiG-21 bis export version the type was probably produced in Gorky. Just like you, I have never seen a MiG-21 bis with that panel, either live, either on photo. Cheers

Jure

Dear Jure,

thank you for your reply. I looked a bit further around and the Eduard 1/48 MiG-21bis do also have the B wing without that oval panel. It's not a direct proof but at least we are not alone in our assumptions.....

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

The oval panel had been on Moscow built planes only.

The reason is different way to seal integral fuel tanks. In Moscow the wing was first assembled, then they applied sealing agent throught this oval hole and then the hole was covered by the oval panel. In Gorkiy the sealing agent was applied during assembly of the wing, so the oval hole was not necessary.

• Like 1