Rough resin kit

Captain_Birdseye

With a roughly formed resin kit with multiple small dots that shouldn't be there, larger scraggy bits and holes that haven't formed properly.... what is the best way to:

a) sand/remove the small dots

b. cut/remove the larger scraggy bits so that the lines look as they should

c) drill the holes/or some other method to their full size (ie what drill bits are best - PRESUMING drilling is ok).

Many Thanks.

Being comparatively new to resin kits, you will need a razor saw (or two) for separating the good from the un-needed, some files, an Olfa 'P' cutter or similar for scribing panel lines, a set of micro drills and a pin vise (amazon or ebay will provide) and something like PVA glue or Deluxe Perfect Putty for sorting out the pin holes. Sanding with wet'n'dry as normal.

WARNING, when sawing or dry sanding resin, use a mask, as the dust will not do your breathing apparatus any good!

Dymo tape stuck to surfaces gives you a good straight edge for re scribing.

Ya keep the dust out of yourself.

Wet sanding is good , make sure your materials are up to it.

I use a mill sweetheart file to really start the removal process , much like grating cheese.

Keep a wire brush handy to relieve the material from the tool.

Work on a sprue first as resin varys from kit to kit , manufacturer to manufacturer , familiarize yourself with the properties of the resin in your kit.

I've had good results filling small holes with cyano and talc powder or microballoons.

1 hour ago, krow113 said:

I use a mill sweetheart file to really start the removal process , much like grating cheese.

Keep a wire brush handy to relieve the material from the tool.

'Sweetheart' being the swear filter substitute for B * Stard (An accepted engineering term)

• Thanks 1