Revegawa kit B-25 post war RCAF

Paul J

BAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flipping BIG H!!!!!   I received my order from them today and eagerly opened up the packet only to find that the wrong sest were inside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Instead of the Silver Leaf roundels /Insignia they sent me sets for the Hornet... exactly what I do  not need!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Weird ly the set number on the invoce matches the Hornet sets but the description does not. Someone there has fouled up big time!! I have emailed them and will wait and see what they will do.  Am I annoyed...... you bet I am as I want to get on with this build.

😖🤨

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Some more  progress pics:

zafU11.jpg

Work on one of the engine cowls. Both done similarly with vents ctut off and filled while a couple other vents added. One of the cowl gills needs cutting out on each unit and an exhaust fabricated. Yet to see how I will do this.

YZXNQj.jpg

lVlRTw.jpg

Another dry run with the wings and tail in place. Also paint masking all removed to reveal scheme so far.

ESlHau.jpg

5mKVzr.jpg

Anti dazzle panel masked and painted. 

9mrsDd.jpg

Tail plane and fins fixed in place. Also showing the gun positions blanked off.

FJGwoq.jpg

Starboard engine in place as a dry run.

7S4kLK.jpg

An overrall view with all the bits still left to deal with.

ADmWcF.jpg

A full frontal view with engines in place still as a dry run.

OLx2lD.jpg

The canopy framing yet to do. I will probably apply black decal striping first then overlay with white striping. where appropriate and silver striping for the rest.
mSKzVi.jpg

A couple pieces from the sprue for the exhausts that poke out between the cowl gills. One gill on each outfacing side of the cowls need to be cut away and the above scraps formed and shaped to become exhausts will follow. I'll open up the exhausts with a drill and carve out, carefully, the rest to depict the openings.

One is done as you can see.

I know that there is something that isn't right and one that I will ignore because It will take far too much effort to correct it and so I will leave this error well alone. Not going to say what it is though.

Cheers for now.

• Like 6

Bit naff about the decals, hopefully they will come back to you real soon. I have to reorder all my stuff from BigH as they did not deliver it to the MK show. 

Fantastic work Paul, and that paint work look stunning

Just one update pic of the engine units waiting for paint.

xiXoWT.jpg

You can see the new single port exhausts I scratch made from little bit of sprue off cuts and where the cowl gill got cut away. Under some paint I think they will look good.

• Like 5

Received the correct decals from Hannants( thank you so much!) the other day and duly returned the others so my decal situation has taken a turn for the better. So now I can add the roundels at least. Colleague at the club is in process of preparing the remainder for me

• Like 2

Some update pics.

Basically its mainly decal work but not all of them....yet.   

MujsT5.jpg

The decals I have so far for this project stand behind. The modern day very nice decals by David Winter on the left and on the right are some very old Canuck Decals ( not to be confused with the modern day named sets) decals for the RCAF fuselage titles in various formats and sizes. Fortunately the smallest ones representing the 6 inch titles are there too. But I won't try these until I have the lightning flash/ trim to hand. 

CSzxbD.jpg

Above and below some of the markings that I can apply. The Red Ensign old Canadian national flag. The decals for these are from a set by Stoppel!! Quite ancient but are pretty good and still work well after so many years! Even with the Micro decal system they settled nicely.
r3kYJf.jpg

Bsh5Ex.jpg

Black stripe decals to mark the anti dazzle sections on the inboard faces of the engine cowls. Later filled in with paint and leaving a nice straight line!! Beats masking and freehand !!

4c2Jxj.jpg

Cockpit framing all done. Started with black decal stripe and then overlayed with silver an white where appropriate.

UAfqNq.jpg

A view from above. Wing roundels from the Canuck Models decal sheet that finally turned up...... correctly!

CKBQf8.jpg

In the above views, you can also pick out that I have placed black decal striping to mark out the edges of the de-icer boots to the wings , tailplanes and fins. The remaining areas will be filled in with matt black.

I can do a bit more and add a couple aerials to the top to go along with the DF loop and add the pitot at the very end. I still need to tidy up the rearmost transparency with a bit more white decal stripe to finish the framing at this end. But it is almost done......

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Update on this build. Been sent roughs for the lightning flash cheat line in paper form but the 'Z' bit at the front needs serious adjusting. Its been decalled with the Red Ensign fin flash and wing roundels but there it has come to a stop until I get the cheatlines done.  Then its the serial codes and nose titles and hopefully a finish in time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ah well. Its all over and this is the first Gb I was unable to complete on time. The decals arrived yesterday and the major items such as the cheat line and flash are too big so not going to use them. But I will complete it and find another way of doing those flashes... probably by using appropriate coloured stripes and build it up that way. Just those angles for the 'lightning flash' to somehow overcome.  The other decals made for me such as the serials and fuslage legends are OK though.

In any case its far too hot in my shed to do any modelling... 34 degrees inside it. Gets the full brunt of the evening sun !! And its still too hot when it goes down ad couple with that lethargy has set in due to this debilitating heat.

The same goes for my BN Islander build for the Classic Airfix GB  Thats on hold breifly.

• Sad 2

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I can continue posting WIP pics here or star anew thread in WIP.

But heres one pic with my custom made cheat line decal now back in progress:

HZ61HQ.jpg

• Like 1

Finished it!!  A couple pics here and more in RFI.  ( Am I allowed to put a few in the Gallery despite the GB being finished????)

BgxLmo.jpg

The nose flash has a greyish silver edge which was done on my custom made decals for me to blend with the silver and because it was printed on solid white decal paper as it was not possible to print white with the red and black. I trimmed it back as close as poss but it got very risky. Shows up terribly in the photos but in the 'flesh ' its not too bad. I also had to do a lot of "cutting and pasting" to get the 'flash ' right as the way it was printed wasn't quite right but a lot of stripe was provided for me  to make good any anomalies!!  Aft of the flash the stripe/line was very good... even the little tail at the aft most end where it curled up to meet the tail plane leading edge.

iCukJN.jpg

• Like 1