Revegawa kit B-25 post war RCAF

Paul J

Well, I wanted to post pics of my proposed build and some of the work so far but postimage is off  air!!! Bit peeved with that. So I have resorted to Village Photos and forgotten password and now waiting for the reset thingy to be sent across.:swear:

• Sad 1

Phew. They all show up nice and easy to use too.  Will have to do more prog report pics tomorrow.  And will have to order my decals now too.

A bit more done... not a lot...but progressing. Almost ready to close up the fuselage once I have shoved in some weight in the nose. And if not enough the solid nosecap will take a bit more.  Not sure if the green interior is right for my chosen subject but It will do for me.

3h0e2e.jpg

qG7cSP.jpg

Gu50pf.jpg

Ordered my decals last night and hope they turn in good time before the GB ends.  Some other bits have been prepared such as the main wheels and their legs painted, wing sub assemblies etc.

P.S.  I won't be using any of the armaments so they will end up in my spares box as too the decals that I won't want.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

What particular RCAF Mitchell are you doing?

Chris

This one:

http://www.canmilair.com/products.php?cat=44&pg=3

( Not sure if you can open the link though)  Its a post war bare metal one with red hi viz areas and a white top with that lovely red white fuselage flash. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paul J said:

This one:

http://www.canmilair.com/products.php?cat=44&pg=3

( Not sure if you can open the link though)  Its a post war bare metal one with red hi viz areas and a white top with that lovely red white fuselage flash. 

Nice choice. I shall sit back and watch the show.

Chris

Still waiting for a response from CanMilair:hourglass:. Made some progress last night and I'll post latest pics up later this evening.   Need to be brave an hack away the top turret flange and do the blanking off bit.

Well. Here we are with the next few pics of progress.

6Mi54p.jpg

Turret blanking in process with plastic card. The bent cracked looking area is where I tried to bend it to fit inside the fuselage. Its very old card and not bothered too much as long as it stays put and does the job.
vFTxA1.jpg

Fuselage joined up. The extreme nose deliberately not glued as I had read someone elses problem with the fit of the solid nose to the rest of the fuselage......
tP3fO9.jpg

.... my theory being that with a bit of jiggling I could match the join reducing the amount of blending and filling, but.....
Tkok6Y.jpg

Here is the nose with plastic rod gued in to the former gun openings where they will be trimmed and sanded smooth. Hopefully hiding any witness marks of them ever being there.
Dilts4.jpg

Main wheels all painted up. I left the Humbrol matt black to dry for a couple evenings and when perfectly dry to a nice matt finish I rubbed the tyres with dusty fingers following some sanding elsewhere and this gave them a nice look   I thought.
uY6iCv.jpg

The cleaned up nose gun fillers.
pg8sJ4.jpg

A dummy run with the wings in place to test that I had enough nose weight in place.
LFo5TN.jpg

Here, I wedged in a piece of plastic scrap to pry apart the lower nose in order(hopefully) for the join between the cap and main body to fit better.
RXXcTj.jpg

As can be seen here, I still needed some filler to try and blend the join better.  More sanding I discovered I need to do is to file away the 'armour plate' to the port side as it does not appear on my subject according to pics I have seen of the same variant. Hasegawa for some reason do the starboard 'plate ' as a separate part  so that meant blending with some filler and fie of the blister or small intake at top right corner. There is one on port side too but that will go when I work on that side.   There seems to be a lot more to this than I thought.  However the turret flange will go tomorrow night and whatever else I can do. Cheers for now.

• Like 3

Well, I managed top successfully clean up the nose join and dealt with the upper turret. Did some other work on it too. Pics up of progress so far later this evening.

In answer to how the glass nose fits I don't really know but one can hope that its better. Not that the solid nose is too bad, the part seems to be just fractionally wider. Surprisingly all else has fitted superbly.

• Like 2

Here we go then.  These show the work I did last night . Top turret blanked with plastic card scraps. Joins all smoothed and some primer for the tailplane and wings for the red areas.

0DBwV3.jpg

Those curved shavings are the flanges for the turret.
KXrVB9.jpg

JlbQtf.jpg

Close up of card laminates for the blanking. Working quite well so far.
VrYl1p.jpg

By the way, I scraped away the canopy frames that are around the front quarters of the cockpit cover and then with much polishing manged to get rid of them and restore clarity.
rPzQmU.jpg

Turret area all smoothed  and looking fine. Soon be time fo fitting the wings on. Also I have to alter the exhaust outlets on the cowls and add one wher the gills are. Need to work out how to make new pies; but shaving off the small outlets and filling the recessess for others the way Hasegawa have tooled it should not be too bad a job though.

Still waiting on CanMilair for news of how my decal order is going.  If they don't happen I will have to resort to other means for them...

• Like 4

Not a lot done this weekend. bUt here are a few pics of a bit of work:

sZikOh.jpg

sBpyQX.jpg

Above and below a couple shots of the cockpit as per kit. No extra detail .. just what was supplied
knG4kI.jpg

Tail plane painted up. I did a dry fit and the fit is splendid. No need to use any filler to blend the join/ I'm glad really as it will save some complicated masking

I have also painted the wings as separate modules with the red panels and bare metal finish. Again the join is really good when test fitted.  Just need to do the fuselage paint work with the white top to  do . And then on with sorting out the weird exhaust arrangement. It looks like one biggish one poking out the side where one of the gills are and the bottom half of the cowls having those little stub affairs/

• Like 5

Thanks for looking fellas!  It seems I will be in a very long queue and wait,probably beyond the end of the GB, for my decals to come from CanMilair. So it looks like I will complete the build but no markings... unless I find suitable ones in my RCAF decal bank.

• Sad 2

Strange that. The wings on mine I have test fitted and all is fine . And so is the tailplane fit, For this I found that if one inserts the very end part(where the glazing fits first)  and then lower the leading edge in to place it just clicks in nicely with a minor join but no gap.

A few more pics of progress.

NDsqZd.jpg

The little bumps behind the waste position on port side need to be moved up and aft a bit  as per.....

UAYOdi.jpg

... this one. A preserved example of my subject.

IHnWNv.jpg

The moved inlet and partner.

mZIVFx.jpg

Still need to work on the exhaust ports.  But here you can see the big apertures masked for spraying.And the partly broken nose leg which is now fixed!!! ( the print out images purely being used for reference for this build)

Since the above pics the gloss white is done which revealed that I need to smear a bit more filler around the former top turret position.  I'm off to get on with that in a few minutes.

• Like 2

I'm back again! A bit more from this evening:

j7yyeI.jpg

White top masked off for the grey primer to go on.

0N8Be1.jpg

Blocks of foam sponge to plug the openings for paint work. They push in further comfortably so that a thorough covering can be applied.
Y3fKOM.jpg

Nose gun ports , though already filled a bit more was needed revealed by the primer.
zCnp8q.jpg

All smoothed off and looking better now.
w0E9Bn.jpg

Another dry run with the wings in place. The flash alongside is a test piece that I found in my scraps of spare decals that proved to be a bit undersized.  Decals being sorted for me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Beard said:

There's some nice work going on here, I hope you get some transfers because it'd be a shame not to see it finished.

Thanks. Transfers all in hand . Hopefully will be done for me in good time by end of this GB.  Using the book by Patrick Martin on Canadian Colours and Markings book as guidance and my surplus leftovers (As seen in last pic)and other generic decals , all will be fine. Ordered a set by Canuck Models for the Silver Leaf roundels from Hannnants so that part is sorted. Just need the rest like the stripes etc.

• Like 1