Army Air Corps Green/Black scheme - what green?

Dave Fleming

The new Hataka AAC helo set gives you BS381C 298 as the green for the AAC Green/Black camouflage - this is the green that Comando Sea Kings were painted. I always thought the black/green scheme used dark Green (BS381C 241/641)

http://www.armahobby.com/htk-as87-british-aac-helicopters-paint-set.html

Anyone know for sure?

CIELAB values for BS381C-241 Dark Green are L36.26 a-1.64 b6.51

CIELAB values for BS381C-285 NATO Green are L36.29 a-1.2 b7.24

They are rather difficult tell apart without instruments rather than eyeballs. Both have virtually identical chroma (or lightness / darkness) with NATO Green measuring slightly less green and a bit more yellow. Or, in otherwords, an ever so slightly browner olive.

IMHO you could camouflage a helicopter with each alternating 'green' patch of camouflage switching between -241 and -285 and few would see anything amiss with it, or, if they could they'd struggle to put their finger on what was wrong with it.

• Like 1

Checked on a Modeldecal sheet but only had helicopters in grey/green.

Then I checked an old SAM article and here I only found a 29 JSTU Lynx HAS.2 profile captioned as black and Olive Drab 298. All other profiles are of naval machines in naval schemes.

4 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Well ive no idea about numbers but i can catagorically say whilst looking at a mk7 (its has skids so one presumes)outside the Senior rates mess at VL that it is a completely different green to that used  on a  Sk4.....its a lot lighter ....quite spring like really.:D

If it's a Mk.7 then it's likely in the more recent grey/green scheme. In this scheme the green is BS381C 220 Olive Green, that is indeed lighter than 298.

Don't think the black/green scheme made it into the '90s and don't think the Mk.7s had this scheme

• Like 1

Funny you should mention that HAS2...... I was looking for that very profile

If Mike Keep said 298, I’ll take that as pretty definitive.

i don’t think any service AH7s carried green black, it was changed to the grey /green scheme before that. 

Edited by Dave Fleming

10 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

CIELAB values for BS381C-241 Dark Green are L36.26 a-1.64 b6.51

CIELAB values for BS381C-285 NATO Green are L36.29 a-1.2 b7.24

They are rather difficult tell apart without instruments rather than eyeballs. Both have virtually identical chroma (or lightness / darkness) with NATO Green measuring slightly less green and a bit more yellow. Or, in otherwords, an ever so slightly browner olive.

IMHO you could camouflage a helicopter with each alternating 'green' patch of camouflage switching between -241 and -285 and few would see anything amiss with it, or, if they could they'd struggle to put their finger on what was wrong with it.

It's especially difficult with modern IRR paints. Hard to tell if RAF helos are in 241 or 285 for example!

• Like 1