Camel colours for Ray Rimell WNW builds

GrahamB

Hi,

I've just got a copy of Ray Rimell's excellent "Building the Wingnutwings Sopwith Camels (& LVG C.VI). What a standard to live up to!

In the text, Ray mentions some Methuen matches, based on comparisons with surviving relics - these for the VR3 red in its red-orange vermilion versions, and the "bright sky blue" of Culley's 2F.1  N6812. This last colour was surprising in its relatively dark and saturated appearance.

I've used my usual method of translating the Methuen values to a local paint company (RESENE) chips, but this is possible with other ranges of course (Dulux, Berger etc). The RGB values are those given for the paint colour by Resene. The resulting RGBs on the screen may look different to the actual solid versions but you could use colour finders to get commercial matches. I'll have a look to see if there are any Vallejo matches.

Cheers,

GrahamB

40523708455_06bdd31f4c_b_d.jpg

Edited by GrahamB

Thanks Jack.

Anyway, here's a picture of a Deltic diesel locomotive robbed off the interweb. I'll have a play with some Vallejo mixes (Prussian Blue looks a distinct possibility for tinting). The Stockholm IPMS site list of Humbrol Authentics (with FS. matches) annoyingly doesn't include 133 Deltic Blue.

Cheers,

Graham_

P.S. Forgot to mention that one of the matches with Culley's blue was Deltic Blue or the Methuen value. Deltic Blue is an obsolete railway colour in the Humbrol Authentics range and does not feature in the IPMS Stockholm paint lists.

27570824648_11d4e02ae4_b_d.jpg

Edited by GrahamB
missing information

On 14/04/2018 at 4:26 AM, GrahamB said:

Thanks Jack.

Anyway, here's a picture of a Deltic diesel locomotive robbed off the interweb. I'll have a play with some Vallejo mixes (Prussian Blue looks a distinct possibility for tinting). The Stockholm IPMS site list of Humbrol Authentics (with FS. matches) annoyingly doesn't include 133 Deltic Blue.

Cheers,

Graham_

P.S. Forgot to mention that one of the matches with Culley's blue was Deltic Blue or the Methuen value. Deltic Blue is an obsolete railway colour in the Humbrol Authentics range and does not feature in the IPMS Stockholm paint lists.

Yes that's a Deltic, but it's standard BR blue. Deltic Blue  is a reference to the colour the prototype Deltic DP1 was painted, quite different:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Railways_DP1#/media/File:Preston_Riverside_-_Deltic.JPG

On 14/04/2018 at 4:26 AM, GrahamB said:

Thanks Jack.

Cheers,

Graham_

As British rail was a UK government owned entity the colours above will  be found in BS381c. All UK government owned entities  (London transport, GPO  trinity house etc,etc) were painted to this standard.   Without standing next to it with a colour chart  it could possibly be BS169 Traffic blue  and BS 363 Bold yellow.

Selwyn

Many thanks for pointing this out. :) It's interesting about the confusion about the Deltic Blue. The colour of the prototype Deltic does look completely different in that photo - a more pastel or or violet hue (more Methuen 20-21). It guess it can't be determined what colour the original match was intended to be (the colour of BR Deltics or that of the prototype)  but the alternative Methuen match 22(C-D)7 is more like the BR colour than the true Deltic Blue. On the other hand.........if Culley's blue was mixed from roundel blue (VB2) and white - and the VB2 was purely ultramarine - then a Methuen of 21 would be appropriate and we would be back to the original Deltic Blue!

Oh well - it leaves a bit of flexibility for the modeler, but a good RFC VB2 blue should be probably be the starting point and the result should be a fairly dark/saturated colour.

GrahamB

On 18/04/2018 at 9:14 PM, John said:

26676815087_07c6942cb5_c.jpgP1010994 by John Walker, on Flickr

It's a bit dark to do an eyeball match this evening but I'll do a daylight one when I get the chance and see how it looks.

Standard BR locos should be 114 Rail Blue and 356 Golden Yellow.

John

I stand corrected!B)

Selwyn

• 1 year later...