Opinions on UK Phantom book

Giorgio N

I've seen this book for sale at a local web based shop:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phantom-Squadrons-Royal-Force-Fleet/dp/0946958319

Would you suggest this book from a modeling perspective ? I have Ward's similar book on the Hunter and love it, should I espect the same kind of book ? How far does the book go into the Phantom career ? I see the book was published in 1988, so the last few 4-5 years of service will of course be missing, but having Ian Black's "The Last of the Phantoms" I hope to be covered in this regard.

Any other opinion on this book ?

I have a copy in front of me that was bought around the time of the original release in 1988 and very much following on in the same pattern as the Hunter book.

A4 sized , 68 pages 4 of which are in colour , averages three or four images to a page and covers operational service squadron by squadron each of which has a brief introductory paragraph on the squadron with the remaining text comprising of at times very detailed captions for each image listing variations to markings and other details (of which there were many on UK Phantoms) followed at the end by single page appendices with one having technical data for the FG.1/FGR.2/F-4J(UK) and the other camouflage & marking information.

Written by the late Richard L. Ward of Modeldecal fame it shares the same high quality and eye for detail as did his decal sheet instructions although without the art-work and I have found it to be extremely useful over the years.

Edited by Des
adding a misssing 's'
  • Thanks 1

This is actually my favourite Phantom book.  Despite not being a fullsome or wordy tome like some of the other books on the subject, it really has some great period service pictures in it and they printed nice and large.

It has just the right balance of pictures and brief text for modelling work, and is very 'user friendly' (to use a ghastly internet era phrase!) in layout.

I bought mine in as new condition off Ebay for £3.00, great value even at the Amazon price.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Thanks Des ! Sounds like a worthy book to have in the collection, the Hunter book is one of the titles I've found myself browsing most often of all my books, if the quality is the same I'll have to get this one too.

I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

Mention has already been made above of Richard Ward's 2005 'Lightning Squadrons of the Royal Air Force' but he was also involved along with Yves Fauconnier in a 'Jaguar Squadrons' book back in 2010 covering all users , both followed a similar style but in full colour throughout , were published by Ad Hoc Publications and like the Hunter and Phantom before them can be highly recommended for the same reasons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, iainpeden said:

The Phantom book is my initial reference of choice whenever I'm thinking about RAF/RN F-4s; the Lightning Squadrons book is also worth buying.

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

This is actually my favourite Phantom book.  Despite not being a fullsome or wordy tome like some of the other books on the subject, it really has some great period service pictures in it and they printed nice and large.

It has just the right balance of pictures and brief text for modelling work, and is very 'user friendly' (to use a ghastly internet era phrase!) in layout.

I bought mine in as new condition off Ebay for £3.00, great value even at the Amazon price.

Thanks guys, these comments make me even more convinced that buying a copy is the right thing to do. I like the idea of having something dedicated to the markings of the various units with as many variations as possible.

25 minutes ago, Des said:

I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

Mention has already been made above of Richard Ward's 2005 'Lightning Squadrons of the Royal Air Force' but he was also involved along with Yves Fauconnier in a 'Jaguar Squadrons' book back in 2010 covering all users , both followed a similar style but in full colour throughout , were published by Ad Hoc Publications and like the Hunter and Phantom before them can be highly recommended for the same reasons.

I've been very close to buying the Lightning book in the past but slipped through my hands a couple of times. There are some for sale online but with delivery they are not that cheap, I'll probably wait until I can get one. Didn't know about the Jaguar one, will have to keep an eye for that too.

+1 👍🏼 from me. Bought it at my first or second IAT, back in the early 90s. I really can’t add anything that hasn’t been said. If you like his Hunter book, you will not be disappointed. But have a look on Abe, I have seen it a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tempestfan said:

+1 👍🏼 from me. Bought it at my first or second IAT, back in the early 90s. I really can’t add anything that hasn’t been said. If you like his Hunter book, you will not be disappointed. But have a look on Abe, I have seen it a lot cheaper.

Checked on Abe for my country and found the same Ebay seller where I had originally found it for sale. Guess I could find it cheaper in the UK but I would have to find it at a shop that delivers to Italy. I know several that do and I've bought from them before but can't find it there. In any case, €11 is not too bad and the shop gives free delivery over €25 and I've eyed another couple of books there. Or better, I've seen a lot of potentially interesting books and I'll have to restrain myself...:lol:

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Received the book today and I'm very happy with it ! The only surprise was a hard cover, I was expecting a soft cover like I have on the Hunter book, but can't complain with a hard cover :lol:

Thanks everyone for their comments and suggestions !

• Like 1

On 12/04/2018 at 10:46 PM, Des said:

Mention has already been made above of Richard Ward's 2005 'Lightning Squadrons of the Royal Air Force' but he was also involved along with Yves Fauconnier in a 'Jaguar Squadrons' book back in 2010 covering all users

The Jaguar book is excellent. Aviation Bookshop were selling them at the Milton Keynes Show for £5.00 each and it is a good read.