Sea Fury VX-730, 805Sqn RAN HMAS Sydney Korea 1951

It's been about 6 months since I've posted anything in here, been building lots of stuff for other projects but not quite finishing them.........the same old story.

Well this was built for the Hawker (Siddeley) GB. The model is Fisher Model & Pattern's 1/32nd resin Sea Fury. I was very lucky to win this one on my favourite website for a ridiculously cheap price as normally they're quite frightening price wish. There was an option in the schemes for an all-over blue RAN aircraft but I wanted to do one in the earlier colour scheme, lucky enough Novascale do a nice set of decals for this aircraft. The only other options were replacement tyres, as these aircraft had the diamond pattern tread version and some brass gun barrels and pitot tube.

The model was a real pleasure to build with no real issues at all. The only real issue I had was my own doing as I wanted to have the wings folded, the model comes with this option. Not a good idea as the outer wings are really quite heavy resin hinges are very fragile. I ended up making a pair of wing locks as per the those used on the real aircraft, they've helped strengthen the wings, but I'm too scared to turn her upside down in case they fall off.

Other that that she was a real pleasure to build and I enjoyed every minute of the build.

Hopefully you enjoy the photos

Cheers

Fisher Model & Pattern 1/32nd Sea Fury FB.11

Paint: Mr Hobby (main), Tamiya, Model Master Metalizer Lacquers

Decals: Nova Scale Sea Fury

Extras:

Master Model: Gun Barrels & Pitot Probe set

Fisher Model & Pattern: Diamond Pattern Tyres

IMG_1295-XL.jpg

IMG_1296-XL.jpg

IMG_1297-XL.jpg

IMG_1298-XL.jpg

IMG_1301-XL.jpg

IMG_1303-XL.jpg

IMG_1306-X3.jpg

IMG_1307-X2.jpg

IMG_1287-XL.jpg

IMG_1288-XL.jpg

• Like 51
  • Thanks 2

Fantastic model, no doubt about that!

The reason I'm not completely blown away is that I think that the folded wings (while offering a lot of opportunity for minute and interesting detail work) tend to obscure the beautiful and purposeful lines of the Sea Fury. Just my personal preference, you understand – your modelling is exceptional.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Fantastic model, no doubt about that!

The reason I'm not completely blown away is that I think that the folded wings (while offering a lot of opportunity for minute and interesting detail work) tend to obscure the beautiful and purposeful lines of the Sea Fury. Just my personal preference, you understand – your modelling is exceptional.

Kind regards,

Joachim

To be honest I wish I had done her with the wings down, you're very right she is a beautiful looking aircraft, the very last of her type. But I wanted a bit of a challenge, something I like to try do each build and this was my first attempt at a model with the wings folded.....plus I really do need to be very careful with space, as in I really have no shelf space left. I'd love to build another one if I can find one t the right price, this one will be wings down.

4 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

I like it.

Excellent build, accurate and doesn't have great streaks of black crap down the sides from the exhausts

Well done indeed.

That was something I found really strange when going through all the photo's of RAN Sea Fury's compared to RN ones. A lot of the photos of RN aircraft in "used" condition appeared to show the exhaust stains as quite dark, while the RAN aircraft in similar condition had light grey, almost white exhaust stains. And I don't know why (maybe it's just the photos), did the RAN run the engines at a different tune, or use different fuel/oil, or were they just kept cleaner??? Hopefully someone here might know.

thanks or the nice comments.

6 hours ago, trickyrich said:

That was something I found really strange when going through all the photo's of RAN Sea Fury's compared to RN ones. A lot of the photos of RN aircraft in "used" condition appeared to show the exhaust stains as quite dark, while the RAN aircraft in similar condition had light grey, almost white exhaust stains. And I don't know why (maybe it's just the photos), did the RAN run the engines at a different tune, or use different fuel/oil, or were they just kept cleaner??? Hopefully someone here might know.

Different operating enviroments. RAN aircraft tended to operate in warmer climates than their RN sisters

and would have flown with a leaner fuel mixture.

Sea Furies will almost always get little black stripes behind the exhaust stubs (my 647 still has them) theses are small burn 

marks on the heat shield.

Sadly though some modellers choose to show their aircraft as if its been flown jammed in full rich.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

Different operating enviroments. RAN aircraft tended to operate in warmer climates than their RN sisters

and would have flown with a leaner fuel mixture.

Sea Furies will almost always get little black stripes behind the exhaust stubs (my 647 still has them) theses are small burn 

marks on the heat shield.

Sadly though some modellers choose to show their aircraft as if its been flown jammed in full rich.

you sound like someone I should have been talking to on this build. I can imagine that as long as the engine was running smoothly as you said the main effects would have been from heat, which tends to tryout and "bleach" surfaces. Now it makes sense.

Plus to everyone else thanks for all the great comments, they're greatly appreciated, plus I forgot to add the link to the build, it's now in the first post.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, trickyrich said:

you sound like someone I should have been talking to on this build. I can imagine that as long as the engine was running smoothly as you said the main effects would have been from heat, which tends to tryout and "bleach" surfaces. Now it makes sense.

Plus to everyone else thanks for all the great comments, they're greatly appreciated, plus I forgot to add the link to the build, it's now in the first post.

At the risk of being beaten up by the locals for being a smug git again I'll show you a pic of whats sitting in my 

other work place B)

Q25dGfq.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Tricky,

Excellent model. Finished to perfection.

Regards, Orion / The Netherlands.