Neil Armstrongs F9F-2 Panther 1/72 Hobbyboss

Just finished this one today. The markings represent Neil Armstrongs F9F-2. He was shot down in this aircraft on Sept 3, 1951. While on a armed reconnaissance mission south of Wonsan, he was hit by ground fire while making a bombing run at about 350mph. While trying to regain control he subsequently collided with a telegraph pole at a altitude of about 20ft which sliced off about 3ft of his starboard wing. Armstrong then flew the stricken aircraft back over friendly territory and ejected. He planned to eject over water and await rescue by Navy Helicopters, but wind blew him over land and he was rescued by a roomate from flight school driving a jeep. Neil was in my Fraternity (Phi Delta Theta) Purdue '55. I also volunteer aboard the USS Hornet Sea, Air and Space museum which was the ship that recovered him after his Apollo 11 Mission to the moon so there are quite a few connections with this build. The kit is the 1/72 Hobbyboss F9F-2. I added a Eduard Zoom set. Quickboost nose and guns, resin nav lights from Aires and Aires wheels as well. Paint is MRP. Markings are from Starfighter Decals.

MVFvMeKh.jpg

TAkBfZvh.jpg

XZhrP5Eh.jpg

GaTD7FTh.jpg

1CW9Pf7h.jpg

UHiza7eh.jpg

UwnHvfKh.jpg

WZ6ZzIuh.jpg

WBWn9Kqh.jpg

YwCg6vuh.jpg

4wRahAvh.jpg

PRyxWwUh.jpg

• Like 45

Lovely Panther and back story Geoffrey.

Having just watched a few space related videos over the last few weeks I've often wondered if there was ever any decal sets that honored the many aircraft flown by these famous astronauts. It would be nice to know what else is out there.

Cheers and well modelled... Dave

• Like 2

Very nice Panther! I did not know that Armstrong was flying Pather... Obviously he was Navy pilot in those times, like almost all astronauts.  

1 hour ago, DennisTheBear said:

Will you do any of the other astronauts aircraft? Jim Lovell's say?

I think some of us has some machines of astronaust. Let me tell you that some 20+ years ago I made Matchbox F4U4  Corsair used by John Glenn at the end of WWII (decals by ESCI):

f4u4 DSC04394

Cheers

J-W 

• Like 3

Excellent build.

Thanks for providing the back story too.  Neil had a few close brushes with the Reaper before he even got to the moon!

He definitely had the Right Stuff!!

:goodjob: