Hi :) I'm glad we're still chummy! :D

I have not applied any fading at the mo, weathering will knock the "zing" back a little and a touch of white in the colors may make for a more in scale appearance (depending upon which side of the fence people sit with regards to that particular debate!)

Indeed that would tone it back a lot. The colours we made represent as-new condition. How long they'd stay that colour is up for debate!

The Warship perspective book does contain a LOT of ships with B55 as a base color for the latter years of the war, including ships of cruiser size and above, there are also plenty of ships using G45 as a base, it would be interesting to know HOW Alan Raven decided upon the colours he chose, ie was it just study of period photos or was there other evidence in his locker as well?

I'd love to know that too. Alan is a difficult man to get hold of, and he seems to have lost a lot of what he had over the years in house-moves etc. That's a pity. I'd have loved to look through the material he acquired.

Earlier in the war there were base colours of 45 and 55LRV (507C and MS4A) B55 seems to be the only late war color with a similar LRV to the MS4A available earlier in the war (i think i am right in saying this looking at your colour info?) maybe schemes which would have had MS4A earlier in the war used B55 late on?

Indeed this is true. The MS4A seems to have been in fairly restrained use though, as was B5. Their application tended to be the odd slash or flash here and there, but they were seldom seen in very large amounts. You're spot on that WA Blue, WA Green and MS4A were all replaced by B55.

I do like those rather fetching schemes you have shown above, now who will produce me one of those trawlers in 1/350 please?

Mike McCabe at Starling Models very recently announced a Round Table class trawler :D

The same 4 colours I have used are used in a  number of schemes for larger cruisers and carriers in ravens book?

One reason we never see this type of colour combination on models is simple as you aluded to, there aren't many kits of late war british ships available! (at least in 1/350 that i work in, realise that 1/700 is much better catered for at least with resin) now if manufacturers produced a few more we may see some seriously bright ships using your new colours!

Indeed I noticed the same. Still not convinced about it on big ships if I'm completely honest, but that's a subjective thing rather than based on possession of any facts that contradict the existence of such possibilities . It does make for some interesting appearances though!

Since this has piqued my interest, I went ahead and traced the port side too. If I may be so bold, I think perhaps part of the reason for the brightness is the amount of B15 you have? I think you may have crossed over the tones and ended up with a lot more B15 on it than it should have?  🙈

resized_3ebcea6d-de9f-439d-9101-7d766f90

resized_047f8eed-22ae-42da-bc28-decedd22

I have to admit, even the B55 version looks slightly more subdued with less B15 on it?

• Like 1

Hi Jamie

Yes the large amount of B15 worries me, The artwork in Ravens book is inaccurate in pattern in a few areas (especially the patch under the bridge on the starboard side which is clearly two colours in photos but only one in the book) also Raven does show more patchs of G10 (which I think makes for a more reasonable scheme) however my interpretation was that the majority of patchs on the starboard side were in the second darkest colour (so if G10, B15, B30 & B55 are correct they are in B15) the port side was a little more problimatical for me I based it on photos but fully admit the colours could be mixed up. The photos on the IWM site are quite clear on the starboard side but be aware however there appears to be some changes in colours during the refit when the crane was moved and ALL the photos I have of the Port side only show pre refit shots........ not ideal I know but such are the choices we need to make!

Not heard about the starling model trawler, now I have to look out for that!

Hi Jamie

Try looking at IWM photo A17911, my view is the two rear blocks and the centre of the block under the bridge are second darkest colour, the front block and "outline" to the block under the bridge are the darkest colour?

Now why couldn't they have accurate colour photos in 1943???? IF ONLY......

Hi All

After a bit of deliberation earlier in the week i

42189818915_ad8de18c24_k.jpgve added some fading and a bit more weathering than normal to tone down the colours slightly. Now to pack my case and head off on my hols! yahay!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Just a small update as the weathers doing its best to keep me from the bench, got a few of the deck fittings started and fixed down and started painting some of the parts I had previously made. TBH I don't have sufficient data on placement of all the small deck fittings so positioning of some of these is based on similar ships etc. Also added a bit more weathering to the hull along with some detail painting and addition of draft marks etc.

I am hoping to get the rear deck house sorted in the next week or so then add the remaining railings and deck fittings. I feel its starting to come together now. (turrets not fixed at the mo its just for effect, i will be using the barbets to clamp it to a base so they will be one of the last bits fitted)

41621112340_981bd3a1c7_k.jpg42524621795_5746cfa3ba_k.jpg41621111260_f1fb3624f4_k.jpg

• Like 8

It's a shame there's very little available in 1:350 for late R.N. 6" cruisers (apart from Belfast), but this scratch build is an excellent remedy, and a real top class build so far. Also the finish and weathering look top rate too, well done!

Edited by Rob 1