I've finished another model kit for my slowly growing what-if tank collection. This time the Hungarian 44M Tas heavy tank. The original Tas only got as far as the prototype stage when it was destroyed in an air-raid, along with most of the documentation & tools at the factory, which put an end to its development.

This kit is from Hobby Boss & is rather cheap & simple, so it only took a few days to put together. I then spent a month slowing experimenting with adding extra parts though. Most of which were made from inexpensive household items such as the camouflage net around the barrel is a stretched out bandage. The rolled up tarpaulin on the back of the turret & flag are made from tissues. The logs are random twigs from the garden. Bits of old wire for the handles & cables etc. Other extra bits are the fuel drum on the rear which comes from a Tamiya set. I added a fume extractor to the turret roof which was a left over part from my previous E-100 model. The side armour was extended at the rear with plastic card to make attachment holes for tow ropes. The cardboard box on the engine deck is from a set by J-Works. I also tried out printing my own custom decal transfers for the first time with the registration number plates on the front & rear. I think they turned rather well, I look forward making more in the future.

I had a lot of fun adding all the extra parts to this kit. So much so that I might make another one in the future...

tas_01.png

tas_02.png

tas_03.png

tas_04.png

tas_05.png

tas_06.png

tas_07.png

tas_08.png

tas_09.png

tas_10.png

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 15

That's a very nice build indeed, some skill shown in the paint finish, nice :yes:

One thing that detracts from the quality is the cam net on the gun barrel, to me it just doesn't sit right, I would look 

at using less of the net and using watered down PVA glue to attach it.

Apart from that one niggly point its a fantastic build.

41346498612_950c8d19b0_o.jpg

40675066404_1ab9740c87_o.jpg

39579973440_1ae0d0d40b_o.jpg

That's what I used :D

Cheers

Dan 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip. Now that I think about it I had images of the 105mm L7 with thermal wrap in the back of my mind when I added the net, I should have looked for some reference pictures :P

Superb.

I second the comment on the netting on the gun. Everything else is fantastic. I must look up how to make your own decals.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks for the replies :)

Designing & printing the decals wasn't that difficult, it's just like printing anything else on normal paper, however you have to take into account that most printers cant print white, because normal paper is that colour already :P A extra step you have to make is to varnish them after they are printed & before you apply them to the model though. In my first attempt I only put one coat on, unfortunately it wasn't enough & the ink ran off the paper when it got wet. So second time & applied three coats & it worked fine, however it made it look a bit thicker. I guess it depends on the printer/paper/varnish etc how it will come out, it has opened up lots of new options for me tho so I'd recommend trying it out.

BTW some other extra bits I for got to mention; The brackets on the back to hold the barrel are scratch built. I added casting texture to the mantlet & a few other parts (the whole kit is textureless BTW). The power cables for the headlights was just a small ridge moulded into the fender (which didn't even line up with the lamp), I sanded it off & scratch built new ones that went up the sides & into the top of the hull. Added brackets to hold the spare tracks on the front of the hull. All of the tools were rearranged & extra ones added from the spares box too (of note this kit has the most detailed tools that I've ever seen!). Lastly I added some mini oak leaves made with a leaf cutter & the leaves from an oak tree in my garden (I say garden but because of that oak it's just a huge pile of leaves & acorns, I'm glad to find a use for them all now!).     

Edited by Mig Eater

Superb paint job. I am fully agree with Dan regarding the camo net. You can use a bandage as well. 

Also become it is good job maybe you can think of fading the numbers on the turret as well. For me looks to white comparing to the rest of the vehicle.