Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

The Toerag? Ced, may I introduce these rather large gentlemen in desert robes who wish to discuss with you your interesting spelling of their ancient and proud people group. They will closely be followed by a man in red who is definetly not your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man and would dispute any similarities to the young idealistic web slinger... ;)

As to the model, that engine looks like a droid extra from Star Wars. Are you sure you're not building a Star Destroyer on the sly?

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Courageous said:

Or you could have fitted the stick and stuff AFTER you've stuck your dudes in...:wink:

Thanks Stuart :) You're right, of course, but then I was just following orders... I'm now wondering if the seat's too high so I need to check the fit of the canopy etc. Groan.

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Friend of mine had one of them. Never failed to produce a fit of giggles when he pulled up in it!!

I always liked the Mitsubishi Starion - story was it was meant to be called Stallion ....!! (I don't know if it would have been worse had they got it 'right'....!!)

Hope you get the parts fettled together nicely Ced, looking forward to seeing it all opened up!

K

Thanks Keith :) Starion! I'd forgotten that one! I used to tell people about that too before the p.c. police stopped us being humorous...

18 hours ago, Beard said:

I imagine th Nissan Cedric is a handsome car that's admired by all.

Awww, thanks Simon. Sadly not though... like me it's a bit large and not at all sporty :(

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Oh, I  have that! :thumbsup:  Only used it once or twice through an airbrush, though.

Quite a complex assembly here - keep it up :popcorn: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) I haven't airbrushed the AK (yet) but I love brushing it. I've used it on several models for NMF and explained my technique on the Liberator build here. Great stuff if you don't apply it too thickly and/or let it dry properly or you end up with shiny fingers!

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

A new whip, eh Ced?

Thanks PC :) Now that had me pondering, of course, and then I found a video by 'Maine Thang' where 'T-Roc did the visuals'. And another where 'T-Roc dance crew tears up Navy Pier'. I have no idea what any of that means but 'those guys are certainly down with the kids'. Is that right? :shrug: We can only hope that there's no legal case against VW or they'll have to think up another name...

It's just occurred to me that some 'youngster' at VW may have suggested the name as a 'joke' and that the old guys in the room leapt on the idea without realising, by which time, of course, it would have been too late...

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

There you go. Looks good, a bit fiddly is an understatement but where’s the fun in easy builds eh? :tumble:

Jont

Thanks Jont - Fun? It's supposed to be fun? :D

11 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Oh the enjoyment of the destructions Ced.

How many of us have been caught out before with such a thing.

She is looking good sir.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - I'm hoping I don't get caught out too many more times on this one, but I'm not confident :)

6 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

The Toerag? Ced, may I introduce these rather large gentlemen in desert robes who wish to discuss with you your interesting spelling of their ancient and proud people group. They will closely be followed by a man in red who is definetly not your friendly neighbourhood Spider-Man and would dispute any similarities to the young idealistic web slinger... ;)

As to the model, that engine looks like a droid extra from Star Wars. Are you sure you're not building a Star Destroyer on the sly?

Thanks Charlie :) I've had a look on the 'net for that and you're quite right, the Taureg tribe of Central Africa are a proud people... and blue eh? Strangely most images seem to be of women. Pretty ones. Volkswagen have obviously chosen one of the alternative spellings - Touareg (see, I can do it!). Sadly for VW the tribe have been causing a few problems recently, allegedly :(

'Tiguan' is apparently made up...

Who is the 'not Spiderman' chap? I can see it's not Spidey now I look again. I'll probably be busy with the Tauregs and their sabres when he turns up... gulp.

Out for lunch today so the Hind will have to wait for a bit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, CedB said:

We can only hope that there's no legal case against VW or they'll have to think up another name...

They'll get away with it, they always do....:whistle: :D

36 minutes ago, CedB said:

Who is the 'not Spiderman' chap?

I think it's 'Deadpool' - but that's only from seeing the trailers for the film on Sky, so could be well wrong!

Keith

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio :) I haven't airbrushed the AK (yet) but I love brushing it. I've used it on several models for NMF and explained my technique on the Liberator build here. Great stuff if you don't apply it too thickly and/or let it dry properly or you end up with shiny fingers

Hold, I think I was rather incorrect: I don't have the paste, but the AK Interactive Extreme Metal paint, in a regular pot. Sorry for the confusion - but thanks anyway for your link :thumbsup: 

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I think it's 'Deadpool' - but that's only from seeing the trailers for the film on Sky, so could be well wrong!

Keith

It’s Deadpool alright. The film is pretty great if you like that kind of thing. A bit of a potty mouth mind. :christmas:

• Like 1

Indeed it is, virtual chufty badge to Keith. The only comic book character who knows he's in a comic (hence comments about not being given a green VR super suit, only two X-men appearing in the film and his previous incarnation having his mouth sewn shut) and whose surprise success was partially responsible for Logan being done properly as a 15 rated movie. The sequel's out soon, not one for small children...

• Like 1

On 18/04/2018 at 12:49 PM, Beard said:

I imagine th Nissan Cedric is a handsome car that's admired by all.

The Nissan Cedric is a fine automobile, I would recommend the 3L v6 estate.... lots of power for a big car, and a very comfy drive.handsome in a classic way... 

hinde is looking good! 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 19/04/2018 at 08:53, keefr22 said:

They'll get away with it, they always do....:whistle: :D

Keith

15 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

It’s Deadpool alright. The film is pretty great if you like that kind of thing. A bit of a potty mouth mind. :christmas:

14 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Indeed it is, virtual chufty badge to Keith. The only comic book character who knows he's in a comic (hence comments about not being given a green VR super suit, only two X-men appearing in the film and his previous incarnation having his mouth sewn shut) and whose surprise success was partially responsible for Logan being done properly as a 15 rated movie. The sequel's out soon, not one for small children...

Thanks Keith, Johnny and Charlie :) Deadpool? Sounds like I'll be giving that film a miss then...

18 hours ago, giemme said:

Hold, I think I was rather incorrect: I don't have the paste, but the AK Interactive Extreme Metal paint, in a regular pot. Sorry for the confusion - but thanks anyway for your link :thumbsup: 

Ciao

No worries Giorgio :) But if you do get the chance, try out some of the paste - IMHO it's great for varied metal finishes.

12 hours ago, rob85 said:

The Nissan Cedric is a fine automobile, I would recommend the 3L v6 estate.... lots of power for a big car, and a very comfy drive.handsome in a classic way... 

hinde is looking good! 

Rob

Thanks Rob - I aspire to 'handsome in a classic way...' :D

More Mil this morning. I've more or less given up trying to work out candidates for the 'G' paint so I've gathered some bits and I'll do the rest later, probably after (part) assembly if they can be seen. The seat's got its leather:

39768774850_cf77039767_z.jpg

Sometimes I love brushing Humbrol with its grainy pigment. Other times not so much.

Now then, what's THIS?

40865579254_b890908747_n.jpg 41576568151_800f58a914_n.jpg

Now then, I've seen some bad ejector marks before, but I've never seen this sort of 'tried to fill them in with stuff' on the KIT! Weird eh? I'll fill the ones that will show with some liquid green stuff.

The next puzzle is these parts:

41536435772_a1bd52b5fd_n.jpg 40866021924_01f474397b_n.jpg

No idea. Luckily there's a great shot in the walkarounds:

b32.jpg

Oh dear, door struts. The kit parts are for doors closed. If I'm going to have them open? Scratch that itch!

I shall ponder...

• Like 13

Thanks Stuart (I think) and Benedikt. Still pondering and probably will be until I fit the doors... :)

Filled ejector marks sanded with the electric eraser:

39775128190_c41dbee75e_z.jpg

... and more bits blasted with colour:

27713844948_007dcf818e_z.jpg

Hopefully I'll get some more assembly done soon(ish).

• Like 11

46 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Is that some sort of gadget with the black handle?

Careful, you're going to get the "new tool" bug ... :D:D

Smooth job on the interiors, Ced :clap:

Ciao

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, CedB said:

Oh dear, door struts. The kit parts are for doors closed. If I'm going to have them open? Scratch that itch!

I shall ponder...

Clever them eh.

You can see that when the upper door is opened, that top bracket becomes a lever arm that pushes on that long rod to open the lower door section.

The rod appears to keep the same length, just changes angle relative to the lever.

If it were me (and it's not!) I would keep the top part of F40 & 41 and mount to the upper door per the instructions, and use a thin bit of stretched sprue or thin rod for the rod part.

Really does look like a battleship inside the Hind, even down to the window (storm) covers!

Hinds means leans!

0176d0ddb5628076c01f152257911bff.jpg

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Is that some sort of gadget with the black handle?

13 hours ago, giemme said:

Careful, you're going to get the "new tool" bug ... :D:D

Smooth job on the interiors, Ced :clap:

Ciao

13 hours ago, Courageous said:

Too late... :smile:

Aha, another tool tart in the making! :D

The gadget is an electric pencil eraser, mine's made by Mudder but they're not available any more - plenty of substitutes available though and less than a tenner. Punch out a circle of sandpaper / Micro-mesh and stick it on the end of the rubber with latex glue (Copydex) and you're away! Great for sanding inside fuselages and other localised jobs.

9 hours ago, rob85 said:

I think doors open is a must, no pressure or anything but you would be letting yourself down if you didn’t... but like I said no pressure 

Rob

8 hours ago, perdu said:

So

Definitely NOT a ceiling parked machine then.

6 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Clever them eh.

You can see that when the upper door is opened, that top bracket becomes a lever arm that pushes on that long rod to open the lower door section.

The rod appears to keep the same length, just changes angle relative to the lever.

If it were me (and it's not!) I would keep the top part of F40 & 41 and mount to the upper door per the instructions, and use a thin bit of stretched sprue or thin rod for the rod part.

Really does look like a battleship inside the Hind, even down to the window (storm) covers!

Thanks Rob, Bill and James :)

I'll reserve judgement on the 'doors open in the cabinet' or 'hiding on the ceiling' when I see how the thing goes together. Good idea on the mods though James, thanks.

Should be fun fiddling with things in the meantime?

The girls are down this weekend and we're out to lunch for Mother-in-Law's* 90th birthday so I doubt there'll be much modelling done - boo!

* Not abbreviated to avoid confusion with the manufacturer of this chopper.

I'm not confusing her with the Hind, of course.

One is a fearsome heavy-attack war machine that strikes fear into those that see her advancing menacingly over the horizon.

The other's a Russian helicopter.

• Haha 10

1 hour ago, CedB said:

* Not abbreviated to avoid confusion with the manufacturer of this chopper.

Thanks for spelling it out for me this time Ced, I'd probably have forgotten what MIL stood for....

Having said that, I hope that MIL doesn't read the last two lines of your post....!! :D

K

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Keith - little chance of that, luckily! :D

I have stolen a few minutes on those lovely engines. AK True Metal paste steel on the casings and aluminium on the internals:

41597297271_f0429a7c53_z.jpg

Simon (Beard) put me onto Vallejo's 'exhaust manifold' so I brushed that on the exhausts - bottom parts (fnaar!) showing before and after:

27728043098_5a1c851c68_z.jpg

Nice stuff, I like it:

39789223550_979f4c73f6_z.jpg

Fiddly bits - the rear turbine has a locating pin on the bottom and the front one a flat bit on one side - watch out for those if you want a good fit:

41597843131_ee60e4730a_z.jpg

Now I thought I'd cut the parts for one engine off the sprue first to avoid problems but then it didn't fit. Hmmm. Either I cut the wrong bits off OR the instructions are wrong. Another thing to watch out for. They're drying now:

40887115464_95a8a25b29_z.jpg

Edit: All the same picture??!! Dunno mate...

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks Simon - edited! No idea what happened but corrected now :shrug:

No problem Ced, you may have had a sticky cut and paste. LOL.

Enjoy your meal with the Mother-In-Law.

Simon.

• Like 1