Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Yes, I have fixed the Debris Ejection Chutes.

No, I'm not going to take a close up shot - drilling out the holes and fixing the tube was at about the limit of my skills, especially with limited fiddly mojo

Looks the bee's knees to me, Ced :clap:

:clap:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

hmm, might be a trick of your photo or sumit,

this is something that I have agonised over for far more time than I should have (as my wife will point out!), but according to the better drawings, and photos that I have carefully referenced (and have done my paint.net aligning references with) the tailplane appears to be twisted over the same amount as the as wings on the real Hind.   

I can't swear an oath to that as I haven't seen it written by good authority, but I have spent much time looking into it.

I hate mentioning these things but I did note the ? in your post!

Great recovery with the debris chutes! :clap:

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks the bee's knees to me, Ced :clap:

:clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio, very kind :)

7 hours ago, 71chally said:

hmm, might be a trick of your photo or sumit,

this is something that I have agonised over for far more time than I should have (as my wife will point out!), but according to the better drawings, and photos that I have carefully referenced (and have done my paint.net aligning references with) the tailplane appears to be twisted over the same amount as the as wings on the real Hind.   

I can't swear an oath to that as I haven't seen it written by good authority, but I have spent much time looking into it.

I hate mentioning these things but I did note the ? in your post!

Great recovery with the debris chutes! :clap:

Thanks James :) I won't agonise over it as the kit doesn't allow any other position really. I couldn't find any photos... perhaps the wobble made them sick too?

4 hours ago, amblypygid said:

Ced, have a look at image 14 on this page: http://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=51

I hope you're going to replicate the gaps!

Thanks Chris - not if I can help it, that looks like it's falling apart! :)

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

So what did they do? Don't keep us in suspense like this.....

K

Great lads. They carried everything into the garden and took the old shed away, even though it was breaking up. Phew :)

Well I think I've glued on most of what I want to before the paint so I started masking up. I'd bought the Eduard masking set for the canopy mainly but what's this?

41762504102_eab38abedb_z.jpg

Ho hum. It is the mask for the Hobby Boss kit (I bought it before I knew better) so I hope they've modelled the canopy the same as Revell. Fingers crossed.

Other panels have been fitted and the wheels started:

26940912257_f3c7c62434_z.jpg

I'll fit the doors, do a double check on the parts and then put some primer on.

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, CedB said:

I won't agonise over it as the kit doesn't allow any other position really. I couldn't find any photos... perhaps the wobble made them sick too?

Please don't agonise over it, and I know close up photography of models acts like a microscope.

In photos it is very difficult to get reference shots that show everything leaning and aligning (check out the pic I posted near the beginning - doesn't even show the tailplane), seriously I have spent hours and hours over it.  If it is that difficult for me to illustrate then it really doesn't matter on a small kit.

There is a good chance that the tailplane is a slightly different angle to the wings, and I would trust Zvezda on it.

I wonder even if the wings aren't as accute as the 2 1/2 degree lean - but this is just me thinking aloud on your thread!

Excellent progress, and those latest pics look great.  Nice idea loosely joining the panels for painting.

Doing the Hind real justice!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks James and Nigel - very kind :)

I've stalled a bit this evening. I thought I'd prepare the canopy for masking.

Luckily the same parts are used for the open and closed versions.

Unluckily there are five parts and they're ALL weird:

41767845112_ddebe66111_z.jpg

I'll try to make sense out of those and hope that the masking fits :shutup:

• Like 8

Thanks Nigel - your confidence in me is encouraging and not, I hope, misguided! We shall see soon :)

Thanks John - may the workers of the world unite! :)

As they would say on some prime time show, 'Right, let's mask'.

40921021815_dce644f128_z.jpg

Various bits of saved foam packaging and kitchen sponge, latex glue for sticking / filing where necessary, tape and tools. We're off.

Doors and hatches glued in with latex trying to make sure there are no gaps. Kitchen sponge in the exhausts and latex glued in. Tape on the rotor hole.

27951244768_101593c5b8_z.jpg

27951254158_7f1c588407_z.jpg

I've blobbed some more latex in the wheel well.

I know any excess latex will mask the paint but that will either get touched up or be called 'chipping'.

Canopy masks. Wrong ones. Had I known that this was a re-boxed Zvezda kit I would have bought these rather than the Hobby Boss ones. As it is I'll use these as well as I can and trim / fill in where necessary:

40921889375_1ac2e1e62e_z.jpg

They're just wrong for this kit, it's obvious, but with some effort they're done:

40014497740_f0d1a87b66_z.jpg

Do the canopies fit, and if so how? The kit would have you fit the front canopy first, but mine is bent:

41821321501_f501f55e0d_z.jpg

Nice to see the i/p is in the right place though and that the part fits, when pressed :D

I can't think of a way to hold that in place while I glue it with Araldite (any tips appreciated) so...

41104951664_83f1c1fc1c_z.jpg

... the rear part of the canopy will hold it down if I glue that on first. Nigel uses Araldite Rapid and I topped up on some types a while ago. Looking at these, the Crystal has the same times as the Rapid:

40923227125_8b2c4df768_z.jpg

... so I thought I'd try that. Sadly the rear canopy of a bit springy, perhaps because of the way I glued the intakes on, so it needed some clamping:

40014912360_ee3597db05_z.jpg

We'll see what that's like in a couple of hours.

• Like 13

You're tooling through these stages of the build with a dashed refined air to proceedings Ced. Well recovered in particular on that freestyle canopy masking - all those three-dimensional curves looked pretty daunting!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

...freestyle canopy masking... 

Soon to become an Olympic sport, along with Downhill Resin Fettling, the Alclad Pentathlon, Rhythmic Soldering and the incredibly exciting Giant Swann-Morton Slalom

• Haha 14

Well, no surprise I guess that the Araldite Clear sticks. Clear too. Am I sad in thinking that's :Tasty: ?

Also, the main part does hold in the front part (connected to the, leg bone) and, with a lot of fiddling, the pilot's screen fits very nicely too:

41823924621_60b34a7ee1_z.jpg

That said, the parts have slanted joins, nice for a good fit but a pain if you assemble them in the wrong order. I don't have enough fiddle or fingers to actually glue it at the moment - I've just mown the lawn.

Why does that matter? Because of the bloomin' Met Office of course.

What have they got to do with it? I've been testing the grass for days to see if it was dry enough for its second cut this year.

Dry this morning but the Met Office forecast rain at 14:00. Dashed out with the mower and, half way through at 12:45, it started to drip drop.

Faster mowing required (no, FASTER) before the downpour - worn out. Shaky. Must get more exercise.

In other news the shed is going back. The erectors came this morning and the base that supported our old 8x6 shed isn't good enough for the 8x6 Greenhouse/Shed combo. Why? 'Cos the new shed is actually a 4x6 shed and a 4x6 greenhouse and the floor supports go the wrong way for the base supports that are there. Who knew? Not us, obviously.

We've decided to do without and buy tomatoes - much cheaper!

• Like 8
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

All going together well Ced, nice masking on the canopy/s.

As for sheds, before we moved, the Lady Rose said that I could have on.

Pointless now, we live in a 5th floor flat....

Weather report from her is occasional clouds.

Simon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ah no

Ced is shedless and the shed is Cedless, not much fun huh

brilliant canopy work Ced

Thinks Toolguru suggests Araldite Clear, must get Araldite Clear

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Thanks Gents, very kind of you all, as usual :)

A very quick post before Mrs b calls me down to watch 'The Split'. I hope it's not a hint...

The canopy glueing was problematic, not because of the Araldite Clear but because of the bent front part - it's really hard to clamp something like this:

41110025224_e1d154b489_z.jpg

Taping a masked canopy eh, brave / stupid *

(*Delete as applicable)

All done, and then I checked for holes one more time. Aha! The intakes. As they're designed to get air into the engines I decided it would be best to mask them (even though the inside of the engines won't be seen - doh!)

41790730592_aa83befe84_z.jpg

Then it was on with the Stynylrez Grey primer:

41116493194_b0c8f825f5_z.jpg

Progress at last! I should now be able to have a few nice days fiddling with weapons...

• Like 15

Despite of the complex canopy geometry, and related fiddlysome masking and gluing in place, you're dashing through this at warp speed! 👏 :frantic:

And she looks silky smooth under the primer coat, too :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 2

Thanks Giorgio and Bill, very kind as always :)

Paint! Let's have a look at this:

40035786260_fbc257f799_z.jpg

Could I have chosen a simpler scheme? Probably. Wavy demarcation line - oh joy...

The bottom is 'W'. 'W' is 90% Revell 76 Light Grey and 10% 43 Medium Grey. So light medium grey then... hmmm

iModelKit mixer says that's pretty close to VMA 71.046 pale blue grey so I used that:

40943537055_25fc4425a5_z.jpg

But wait - what's this?

40943550505_f33a582247_z.jpg

The pylons, tailplane bottom and that panel on the bottom are 'C' - aluminium.

Should be easy then?

Is the panel obvious on the model panel lines?

No.

Wavy demarcation line :headbang:

• Like 7