Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

Those pods did look a bit pants Ced, you really had to try something.  :unsure:

What's your overall 'feeling' for this kit please.....Fun?  Fiddly?  Fekkit!?  :shrug:

I'm kind of tempted to get one.....I really do like mid-late production Hinds, I'm massively interested in the Soviet-Afghan war and it is basically a light-tank with rotors, all of which qualify valid justifcations in my book.  ;)

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Beard said:

Stick 'em in the stash. Never throw kit bits away Ced, they'll come in handy sometime.

Thanks Simon - done! :) Trouble is, at my age, I forget that I've got things... like the boxes I bought to arrange the spares in some kind of order :shrug:

4 hours ago, 71chally said:

Hi Ced, just to be clear as to what I meant earlier, for the Tiger display configuration the Shturm tubes should be moved from the wing tip positions to the outer underwing pylons, and nothing else mounted.  As in this link, https://www.lkpd.info/photo.php?id=3114

The other gun pods and fuel tanks can be added for other combinations, pic with gun pods here

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/164682/3361-czech-air-force-mil-mi-35/

Thanks James, all clear thanks, but I still think I'll go for gun pods, fuel tanks (thanks, wondered what they were) and Tiger pods just for the hell of it! :)

4 hours ago, bbudde said:

Haha, Ced.  Yep that means the Fragezeichen. German instructions can be cruel.🇩🇪:whistle:

Thanks Benedikt :D

3 hours ago, massimo said:

Coming along nicely!!!

I like the camouflage combined with the tiger!!!👍

Thanks massimo :)

2 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Those pods did look a bit pants Ced, you really had to try something.  :unsure:

What's your overall 'feeling' for this kit please.....Fun?  Fiddly?  Fekkit!?  :shrug:

I'm kind of tempted to get one.....I really do like mid-late production Hinds, I'm massively interested in the Soviet-Afghan war and it is basically a light-tank with rotors, all of which qualify valid justifcations in my book.  ;)

They are indeed a bit rubbish although I blame the age of the moulds.

Revell 'rank' the kit as "Level 5 - difficult: models with over 150 parts requiring a very high level of skill". Oops, should have left it alone then :)

That aside I would say 'fiddly, but good general fit' and it won't disappoint you I don't think.

44 minutes ago, Azgaron said:

All those options! :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan - now resolved, thankfully! :)

Things that chop have been started:

28127915618_3cbcc77ec3_z.jpg

There's lots of fine detail to pick out and some 'fun' masking to do.

Great :think:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, CedB said:

hat aside I would say 'fiddly, but good general fit' and it won't disappoint you I don't think.

Cheers Ced.....Reckon I might add a Zvezda boxing to the stash at some point.  Does the Eduard kit have Zvezda plastic too?  :shrug:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

I don't want to speak over Ced, as I haven't built these kits yet, however Ceds' superb build here has certainly inspired me to tackle one soonish - if I can!

From a 1:72 kit point of view these Zvezda kits are absolutely superb, excellent molding and precise parts - of which there are many!  Lots of small details in there, and probably most importantly these kits are very well researched. 

The weapons options are very comprehensive as well, which seems rare in a modern kit.

They are the only kits so far, apart from the Trumpeter 1:32 kit, to feature the fuselage lean of all the Hinds, and the correct two crew layout for the Hind A.

They are all the better in that they are Hind kits, and so far the boxings cover the 'greenhouse' Mi-24A Hind A, the Mi-24V Hind E, Mi-24P Hind F, and the Mi-35M Hind E. 

So far the Hind E is the only one reboxed by Revell, these can be got quite cheaply and there is one online seller knocking them out for £12 which is great value given the quality and size of these kits.  Don't mistake this (kit 04839) Revell Zvezda kit for the older Revell Hind kits.

Eduard also released this kit in their duo Mi-24V boxing.

Both the Hind A and V kits include Soviets in Afghanistan options.

I believe from reviews and so on that they are a bit fiddly to put together, and I would say that the instructions are simplistic, which doesn't help when you have such a large parts count.

It's just great there is a kit manufacturer out there that takes pride in making great helicopter kits, the best helicopter kits out there that I have encountered. 

I personally highly recommend them...

.. I just need @CedB to say how bad they are to build now!

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The P is a beast (aren't they all!),  the kit decals cover very recent ones only (in Syria is one).  The kit, and the Mi-35 can be got for £16, even that is very good value.

Britmodeller review here, 

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, 71chally said:

Don't mistake this (kit 04839) Revell Zvezda kit for the older Revell Hind kits.

Which AFAIK all contain the Italeri plastic: 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/112060-revell-04417-mil-mi-24-hind-d

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/102273-revell-04405-mil-mi-24d-e-hind

And do not a Mi-24D make - regardless of the "Mi-24D/V" nomenclature on their boxes, the Italeri kits are Mi-24V only.

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CedB said:

fuel tanks (thanks, wondered what they were)

To be exact: these are PTB-450 tanks. Also carried by the Mi-8, Mi-28, Ka-29 and Ka-50/52.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

Thanks Sarge :)  I don't know if the Eduard kit originates from Zvezda too, sorry, but...

James know, thanks James :)I had a look at the kit review that you linked to and I think it's for an older moulding? Certainly my fuselage was pretty smooth and the rotor blades are pre-drooped. Apart from my worries over getting the nose and main fuselage assembled and aligned it's gone together pretty well (with care) apart from the rocket pods.

Thanks Benedikt - sign overload! :) I like the Dutch (I think) idea of removing all signs so that people have to look out themselves.

Thanks Andre for the warnings about the Mi-24D kits - it's always a shame when manufacturers don't provide the basis for a reasonably accurate model. Thanks also for identifying the PTB-450 tanks :)

Today has mostly been spent on the rotors. Lots of masking but now nearly done:

27147720467_f1a28811ca_z.jpg

41297760414_42b12562f8_z.jpg

AK True Metal paste used for the aluminium and steel.

There's a diagram of the main blade demarcation line in the scheme and 1.2mm is about the width of the 'trim tabs' so I masked to that for ease.

Just the black and white bits to do on the rotor head and a quick check on the reference photos then I think I'm ready for markings and stencils.

• Like 9

Slight thread drift.

Got back from a day’s shopping in Cambridge recently and had a drink in the garden of the pub we’re staying at in Duxford village, then decided to have a shower to wash off some of the dust. I was just about to step into said shower when I heard the unmistakable sound of a Merlin engine rising and falling, just like someone doing aerobatics, Aargh!!

Never mind, my turn will come tomorrow.

John

• Like 5

Thanks Simon and Håkan :) 

John have a great flight tomorrow! Can’t wait to hear how you get on.

Me? I’ve started the stencilling but my mojo’s low; I got about half a dozen on before it ran out.

I may be gone some time....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

I had a look at the kit review that you linked to and I think it's for an older moulding? Certainly my fuselage was pretty smooth and the rotor blades are pre-drooped. Apart from my worries over getting the nose and main fuselage assembled and aligned it's gone together pretty well (with care) apart from the rocket pods.

It's for exactly the same Zvezda/Revell kit that you're building Ced, none of the other Hind moldings come close to this one.

Maybe the plastic varies a bit that causes the surface finish to change, certainly my Zvezda ones are smooth.

Re the rocket pods, we are probably being a bit unkind to them given their size, they are smaller than my small finger nail so expecting the rocket holes as well would be something on a mass produced kit, they are better than anything else around apart from resin.

It is a fiddly kit by the looks, but I guess that's the trade off for all those parts.

Wonderful work on the rotating bits, lovely finishes with the metallics.

• Thanks 1

Thanks James :) If I do build another chopper I'll certainly look out for the Zveda kits.

Thanks Keith and James - just wine at home last night so not that hydrated... :D

Sprayed the yellow tips on the bottom of the blades this morning.

Flickr's showing its 'Bad, bad panda' message at the mo... cute, but we do want photos...

They must be asleep. I wish I was. Mrs B was doing her 'you are snoring' nudges last night. Five hours isn't enough (but at least I caught up on BM...)

Still down. In my experience it's because they've been fiddling with it (fnaar!) I suppose you can't blame TechSupport for getting bored and trying 'that new thing' they've been reading about.

I just wish they'd do it on a test system.

But then testing is boring eh? And, of course, you expect it to do what you asked it to do.

Still down. I'll come back later...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, CedB said:

it's always a shame when manufacturers don't provide the basis for a reasonably accurate model. 

No it's not. :evil_laugh:

24 minutes ago, CedB said:

I just wish they'd do it on a test system

They are. Us.

• Haha 5

Still down... that's an hour or more now. Uh oh...

Thanks Tony - yep, I think a lot of software companies are using, er, users for testing now.

Lazy.

The trouble with doing that is it's easy for 'them' to say 'it must be something at your end'.

Silhouette Studio's new version is leaving a process hanging after I close it. I think it must be lonely 'cos it uses 99% of my CPU and I know it's there 'cos the fan starts up.

After several emails from their support people they've suggested installing an older version.

Yup, that'll be the one that worked before you fiddled with it.

Maintenance Programmers' motto? If it ain't broke, fiddle with it until it is...

Ah, panda gone, Flickr back. A new version, I KNEW it!

My camera roll has been replaced by a dialog suggesting I download the Uploader... eh?

Photostream - all my photos have gone (don't panic!) and it's saying this contains all my public photos and there's a link to camera roll (how to keep an idiot busy all day...)

No albums (I said DON'T PANIC!).

Calm...

Logout, close the browser and clear your cache.

SmugMug and Flickr are together eh? Well I wish they'd stop what they're doing and fix the...

Login. New privacy terms (oh joy...), don't read, click Accept (what's the option?)

Still no public photos or camera roll. Dammit.

I shall drink my tea and come back later...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

Ah, Flickr 'Official Site Issue' thread:

Wilson Lam {WLQ} PRO says:

If you've experienced problems logging in to Flickr tonight, we apologize for the inconvenience. We're recovering from some database issues; all users should be able to log in soon, but a small percentage of users may notice unexpected behaviors while we get this completely sorted out. We'll post here when we have updated status to share with you. We're hard at work on this and we appreciate your patience!

You have to admire these guys eh? "Sorry, we broke it. As soon as we find out who did this we'll ask them to try to remember what they did, undo that and let you know"

Grrrr, rant, fume...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Partially back - I can upload but I've lost some photos I took this morning and my albums are still missing.

[Insert your favourite graphic here]

Is it fiddly?

28160893758_b37c58bbf9_z.jpg

Those unpainted bits are. This rotor is big:

27163787437_79fba47d21_z.jpg

but the tips are still drying:

27163791957_a2856ff01d_z.jpg

... so I should leave it for a while.

And hope Flickr hasn't lost all my pictures.

No I don't have them locally.

Yes, I should have a backup.

Do you work in Tech Support?

I'd keep quiet about that at the moment...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2