Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

4 minutes ago, 71chally said:

I have seen an actual aircraft temporarily repaired with the stuff and flew out afterwards

Commonly known as speed tape.

Supposed to be for battlefield repairs, but I've used it

as a temporary repair for birdstrikes etc.

(I've also seen it used to cover rusty bits on cars. Ahem)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

The foil work looks great Ced.

She is looking good sir.

Simon.

19 hours ago, giemme said:

Agreed 100% 👏🏻

Ciao

17 hours ago, Hamden said:

Like your exhaust rings  they look the part

Roger

Thanks Simon, Giorgio and Roger - it's fine if you don't look too close! Good enough for the ceiling. Oh no, wait... :)

16 hours ago, 71chally said:

Lovely work, the tape has worked a treat, there is an even thicker one which is almost like sheet aluminium on a roll.

The great thing is that you can work and treat it how you like, from mirror finish to dented aluminium.

33094584080_90e7edbffd_z.jpgAirfix 1:72 Lightning F.2A by James Thomas, on Flickr

I have seen an actual aircraft temporarily repaired with the stuff and flew out afterwards, won't go into the circumstances!

I will probably build the Coastal Hind at some stage, but will be in 48th

Anyway Ced, after all that wonderful work with Revell decals,  I reckon your future is here,

ERP664b52_51_Mi_24.jpg

Thanks James :) 3366 is only suitable for the Sci-Fi forum IMHO - mad!

The tape was the only one they had in the local hardware store (which I like to support) but I will look out for the thicker stuff, especially as...

16 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Commonly known as speed tape.

Supposed to be for battlefield repairs, but I've used it

as a temporary repair for birdstrikes etc.

(I've also seen it used to cover rusty bits on cars. Ahem)

13 hours ago, 71chally said:

I knew there was a name for it!

Reminds me, I have a rust hole in the bonnet leading edge of my Calibra - might use your idea🤔

Thanks Pete - rusty cars? Heck, I haven't had a rusty one for ages... but a Calibra? That stirs something from my long-forgotten petrol-head days. I must resist the urge to buy a classic...

Let a classic MGA out of a side turning yesterday. Top down, arm over the door, he looked really happy. Of course I had to wind down my window so I could hear him playing with the exhaust noise. But then, for a few days a year...

Cleaned up and touched up (and the model, fnaar!) I'm now ready for the next stage.

What's that then?

I have a box of bits that need to be assembled open with their struts (which I've painted):

41253049004_77da599764_z.jpg

I'm almost sure I remember where they go.

But if I stick those on now, they're bound to get broken off. I've already knocked off the long aerial and snapped the pitot thing (luckily fixed with TET).

I've not started the weapons yet.

And there's this sprue that I've been ignoring up until now:

40164444450_45a15a524b_z.jpg

I think I need to apply the stencils before I do anything more on the main assembly.

And I'll bet there are lots on the weapons so they need assembling and painting.

And the rotors.

Hmm, I shall ponder some sort of plan :hmmm:

• Like 14

Only a few days a year?

Chap should be thoroughly horse whipped, classics drive as well any day of the year as 'ordinary' cars

And yesterday was a fine icing on the cake day

The ringy thing is exceedingly nice Ced, but not, I beg you up on the ceiling

• Like 3

Funny, though my Calibra will be coming up for 25 years old I don't really think of it as a classic (though I do consider the design to be).  I drive it everyday to work, a fifty mile round trip and do long journeys in it, we are both from Cornwall which is 400 mile trip.

We have a modern Ford CMax which apart from a few more airbags really doesn't have anything more than the Calibra, but lacks the smile factor.

It is in really sound nick, other than the bloomin rust hole in the bonnet, an unrepaired stone chip probably caused that, will change the bonnet one day.

That 'Alien' Hind really has an amazing finish, possibly not everybody's cup of tea, but the art work is fantastic, Google it for some up close detail shots, and on Youtube there is a short film of how it was designed

Your Hind really does look the part now Ced, all that hard work is paying off big style.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m pretty sure that a build of the “Alien” Hind was featured in a Hind Special issue of the AK Interactive “Aces High” mag last year.  If you can aim off a tad for all the (understandable - gotta pay the bills) product placement, there’s often a lot of inspiration to be found in such places - and lots of great walkround pics. 

• Like 1

Thanks Bill - no worries, it'll be in the cabinet now I've spent all that time on the wheels! :)

Thanks James - I can imagine the fun the Calibra gives you when you need it :) I'm watching the Alien Hind design video as I type. He's using a 'proper' airbrush, just like we use! I wonder what nozzle size and pressure he's using?

Thanks Crisp :) Product placement is understandable on a manufacturer's site. What I can't bear is the 'news' sites that spread a story over multiple pages so that you have to 'watch' lots of ads (which you don't), or those that design the site badly so that, as the ads load, the screen jumps all over the place. Come the revolution...

Of course while I watched the video I couldn't help checking details - the modellers' curse.

Coloured glass nav lights - noted.

Horribly complicated tail rotor painting - noted.

White lights on the tail - ditto.

Revell have missed off one of the 'T' aerials on the back - hmmm.

Wires on the chaff dispensers - niggle niggle.

Landing light very shiny and has a lens - easy:

40168527780_320ac471fc_z.jpg

Chrome pen in the hole, Krystal Klear blobbed in, model propped somewhere (hopefully) safe as that dries.

The rocket packs (??) for the wing tips have different parts for the racks so I thought I'd be clever while they get painted and assembled:

27107119757_57d675f95d_z.jpg

We'll see if that's wise or dumb later.

Final bit for today is the weapons assembly:

41976367961_bd89c6d5e4_z.jpg

The two-part fronts for the rocket packs are a pain and, of course, need drilling out. They also need straightening. I may ponder that and think about some tubes...

• Like 13

On 5/6/2018 at 2:09 PM, 71chally said:

It was marked to comemorate 311 Czech Squadron Coastal Command Liberators, specifically EV953.

the RAF roundel was only applied after it arrived at Fairford 2015, but I'm sure I have picture of it flying home with still applied.

It has to be said that the Czechs and Poles are very good at things like this.

This is one of the options (in two variations - with and without roundel) of the Eduard Hind combo. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

I don't get the fancy markings on Hinds thing at all.....This is possibly the only machine in the entire universe that looks less evil when you paint Giger bio-mech on it.  :rolleyes:

Mi-24-001.jpg

You just know that thing wants to kill you!  ;)

• Like 9

4 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm watching the Alien Hind design video as I type. He's using a 'proper' airbrush, just like we use! I wonder what nozzle size and pressure he's using?

The rocket packs (??) for the wing tips have different parts for the racks so I thought I'd be clever while they get painted and assembled:

They are the launch tubes for the AT-6 Shturm (Spiral) anti-tank missiles.

Watching Hind videos is a good way of losing alot of time, found a really good one the other day, of Soviet Hind exercise, no music overlay but lost an hour watching it! 

I kind of get where you are coming from @Sgt.Squarehead, I won't live long enough to build all the different air arms camouflage Hinds that exist, and they are all wonderful, and in some cases pretty exotic.

Not withstanding, there is room for the many special schemes and in particular I think that its mean organic insect looks do lend itself to that Alien rendition, more than it would on modern square sided helos.  I'm not so keen on the Hungarian Golden Eagle http://rebrn.com/re/custom-paint-job-467250/ still very impressive artistry.

• Thanks 1

Just had a mahoosive catch up dear boy. she looks great! 😃 the decals went on a treat and the silver thing by the vent thing is ace. Nice work all round. Hat doffed. 🎩

Jont.

oh! The paint, hell the camo is brilliant. Aceness indeed! 🐯

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Håkan, Stuart, Andre and Johnny :)

Thanks Sarge for the great photo - definitely scary :)

Thanks James for letting me know that the tubes are for the AT-6 Shturm (Spiral) anti-tank missiles. That's encouraged me to to a bit more research on the weapons before I bash them about :)

History.net has a nice diagram that tells me that the larger rocket pods are B-8V20 20 round rocket pack for launching S-8 90mm rockets.

Forums.eagle.ru has a thread with some nice photos that I hope they won't mind me pinching (let me know guys) like this:

41270678304_c4b6e0600b_n.jpg 27120203997_2259568d5b_n.jpg

B-8V20 rocket pack by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

So, how do the kit parts compare?

41944395352_bedd601476_z.jpg

Stop laughing you lot!

As mentioned above the 'tubes' come in two parts and one pushes through the back of the other (cheeky, fnaar!)

When the moulds were new this might have provided a good representation, except they're still not tubes.

Now they're also too fat and this pushes them out of alignment. The one on the left isn't too bad, but the one on the right has several bent tubes and both have some tubes of different lengths. Rats.

Options?

1. See if they can be saved and drill them out

2. Replace the tubes with, er, tube

3. Leave them off - some shots of 3361 show them missing. In fact at shows she seems to be mostly bare.

If you're modelling this in 1/48 then Aires do some nice B8V20 pods reviewed by IPMS USA. Sadly not in this scale.

Option 1, file the seams and the fronts flat and mark out the centre of the tunes with a sharp point:

28117497788_ff24d40539_n.jpg 41089121585_c894ca122b_n.jpg

This is one of those jobs that [will drive you mad] / [you will find therapeutic] (Delete as appropriate).

Guess which one I am? I'm not very good at this drilling out malarkey but I drilled a small hole first and then tried to open the end with a larger drill.

41089360265_f8681f0537_z.jpg

'orrid. In my defence the plastic is quite soft and the drill very sharp. I'm also not very good at this - any tips welcome :)

So option 1 has bitten the dust.

Option 2. I've cut the 'tubes' off the front of one pod and filed it flat. I've found some Albion tube of (about) the right size.

41944856932_9fb6baf91d_z.jpg

All I need to do now then is cut 20 bits of tube to about 2mm then arrange them in the right pattern.

Easy.

Not.

If it works I need to do it again on the other side.

Option 3 is looking attractive.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

• Like 8

OK, option 4 (but not for me now as they're out of stock) are the resin bits as ResKit also do a version. Reviewed on 72AircraftNews here.

Hannants listings here.

To be honest I don't think I love this enough to spend a tenner on two pods...

• Like 2

As much as I like scratch building stuff, I can't honestly recommend you go down that route in this case - just go for option 3, Ced :shrug:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Silenoz said:

option 2.5:

drill holes slightly larger then the tubes, and use these for positioning. that way you can cut the tubes longer and you have more gluing surface 

Ced, Silenoz is of course right, if you want to persevere on that; the trouble would still be in drilling the holes in the correct position. I suggest trying to create a sort of drilling template on your PC, print it on some sticky stuff and put it on the pod.

My :2c:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@CedB, as far as I'm aware they are the wrong style rocket pods anyway for the Czech Hinds.  

3361 in particular seems to use the older UB-32 type with the conical fronts (looks more like British design).

See link here for 3361 with the pods, http://www.vrtulnik.cz/mil4/helo4549.jpg                                                                                                                       

Wiki UB-32 pods on Hind

Mi-24-helicopter-s-5-rocket-ub-32.jpg

As you say, 3361 rarely seems to carry rocket pods, but then it is mainly pictured at air shows. 

The common load out for display seems to be to move the Shturm launch tubes and rails from the wing tips to the outer underwing stations.  They were used as display smoke generators, and painted in Tiger stripes, like here,

https://www.lkpd.info/photo.php?id=3114

This configuration has the benefit of making your model stand out a bit from the norm, and not having to buy the correct rocket pods!

Edited by 71chally
link faff!
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

any tips welcome :)

Hello Ced. I would use a compass or a needle to male a little hole in the middle of each plastic part to create a fix for the drill. Can I say so in english?

Edited by bbudde
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stuart and Giorgio for the suggestion of sanity :D There is an option 5 (see below)!

Thanks Silenoz, Giorgio and Benedikt (English fine) for the tips on drilling holes - helpful :)

Thanks to James for Option 5 - Tiger stripes on the Shturm pods! I like that idea so I drilled some holes in the ends:

41093186295_04d54c1dff_z.jpg

Practice makes perfect better than the last bodge up. Quick coat of H24 and some swipes with a black Pitt pen and we have:

28121191048_98a9c41ca1_z.jpg

Me likey. So I now have:

28121191208_44eb9df5c9_z.jpg

after quickly painting the other pods. But wait... gun pods, fat torpedo things (no idea) AND rocket pods? What??

41093186225_4e10738bef_z.jpg

I am an idiot. But we all knew that eh? The rocket pods are an option. :doh:

That's in then, option 5 (adopted) is the Tiger Shturms on the wingtips and these inboard:

41093185965_3c971793ab_z.jpg

I shall take great delight in chucking the pods in the bin... or maybe in the stash.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I shall take great delight in chucking the pods in the bin... or maybe in the stash.

Stick 'em in the stash. Never throw kit bits away Ced, they'll come in handy sometime.

• Like 2

Hi Ced, just to be clear as to what I meant earlier, for the Tiger display configuration the Shturm tubes should be moved from the wing tip positions to the outer underwing pylons, and nothing else mounted.  As in this link, https://www.lkpd.info/photo.php?id=3114

The other gun pods and fuel tanks can be added for other combinations, pic with gun pods here

https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo/164682/3361-czech-air-force-mil-mi-35/

• Thanks 1