Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

Coming along nicely, Ced. I remember sitting in the cabin of a Hind that visited Shawbury back in the Nineties and being astonished at the lack of space. They managed to fit kitted-up troops in there? What were they: special ops Oompah-Loompahs?

Jon

• Thanks 1

Massive, and yet so small.. how do you manage to get it all in there..

Reminds me, german guy I used to know, changed to the dark side and moved to LA as a VFX artist in the movie industry. He made a fantastic DDR Volksarmee Hind 3D Hind model, not sure if he ever completed it but here´s a gallery I found with images of if it:

http://www.andrecantarel.com/personal-work/

Edited by Nils
  • Like 5

Morning all.

We were lucky yesterday. The forecast 'heavy rain' held off until we left and the circuit was nice and dry. A great day was had by all (and there were a LOT of people there).

Three laps in a Skoda Octavia with two others and an instructor showing us the circuit.

Three laps driving a Porsche Cayman being instructed on driving technique and correct lines for the circuit.

Four laps in the R8.

Great fun. The photographer told me to pose by the R8 so I jokingly did, and she took a photo:

39934124610_b6397080e4_c.jpg

There was also an automatic camera in the chicane:

26873248067_d35dcb8002_c.jpg

Sarah, my instructor. She was very good - calm and instructive.

26873247717_5fac2408e9_c.jpg

Rob, my second instructor, also great. They're all racing drivers apparently and certainly know their stuff.

I must say we both preferred the Cayman. The R8's gated gearchange and restricted wheelwell with offset pedals made it a challenge to drive whereas the automatic Cayman with paddle shift was just more fun. Great experience though.

Perhaps the best bit of the day was watching (and hearing) Tiff Needell tearing around the track giving people 'high speed rides' in an M4. Crikey, he's fast. He passed me a few times as though I was standing still. Mind you, I was taking it easy - nothing over 110mph.

On 27/04/2018 at 07:47, TheBaron said:

Gator's Grip on your tyres. You'll be fine....

:rofl2: 'Normal' or 'thin' though, that's the question!

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Better drive in the wet

I love track days in the Midget when its wet

Enjoy

Hmmm. IF the other drivers are experienced and careful... more than one of the single seat drivers spun yesterday, in the DRY!

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I'm guessing at least three times the power in the Audi Bill = three times the fun....!!:D

Keith

430hp in the V8. Four wheel drive. Bit of a beast really.

21 hours ago, perdu said:

A whole, sparkling 90 b.h.p at the flywheel ten years ago

I'd bet Ced will have more like four times the power but when I let TVR and other fast car drivers loose in the Midge they come back grinning with exuberance because cornering is tremendous in Lara (the Midge)

😀

21 hours ago, 71chally said:

They are probably four time the weight as well!

Power to weight ratios, that's what it's all about eh boys? :)

20 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ha, the Mini's got 10 more than you, na na nana na....!! :P :D I'd still prefer RWD though, especially as you say in the wet! Was actually drooling over a rather nice looking blue Midget on a  website of a dealer not far from my daughter in Hampshire last night! But I really, really mustn't go look at it until the Min's gone...!!

K

Me too. There's something about RWD if you're used to it, of course. The guy we bought the house from over 30 years ago was a Midget fan - there's still all sorts of pressures and torque settings pencilled on the garage wall.

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work on the front fuselage (er, is it OK to talk about models on the motoring thread?).

Given the 2.5 degree cant I guess it's the first time you look at it head on and hope that it's NOT straight!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian :) More modelling following soon!

17 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ced started it...!! :D

Keith

17 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

No!!! the starter started it !!!

Simon.

16 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Or not in the case of our Mini, where it often has to be clouted with a lump of wood to wake it up!

K

Ah, the joys of older cars eh? Lovely to drive if they're going well, lots of pain if they're not...

15 hours ago, Jonners said:

Coming along nicely, Ced. I remember sitting in the cabin of a Hind that visited Shawbury back in the Nineties and being astonished at the lack of space. They managed to fit kitted-up troops in there? What were they: special ops Oompah-Loompahs?

Jon

Thanks Jon :) It does look a bit tight in there but then she is a BIG bird. Not at this scale, obviously.

15 hours ago, Nils said:

Massive, and yet so small.. how do you manage to get it all in there..

Reminds me, german guy I used to know, changed to the dark side and moved to LA as a VFX artist in the movie industry. He made a fantastic DDR Volksarmee Hind 3D Hind model, not sure if he ever completed it but here´s a gallery I found with images of if it:

http://www.andrecantarel.com/personal-work/

Nice model Nils :) I hope he finished it, although LA does tend to slow you down.

Out to dinner last night and wine was had. I think a gentle update on yesterday's modelling (yes, I did do some) is all I'll manage for a while...

Coming next!

• Like 9

The other panels were painted and transfers applied (using Keith's pooled Klear method):

39924343890_44d504ed28_c.jpg

Then the side panels were applied and the pilot's i/p inserted. It's not entirely obvious from the instructions where this goes (again):

27872290488_5785d53a72_c.jpg

... but I think the front lines up with the side panels where they drop away to the front. I hope. Took a bit of wiggling as the pilot's legs got in the way a bit. I resisted chopping them off.

The intake was fitted to the top of the fuselage, a very tight fit but encouraged with TET:

39934053940_b4c58e2000_c.jpg

I'd better do something about those pipes / cables and little box things eh? Might be tricky now.

The only angle where the pilot's i/p is visible:

40852597215_f91ed897f0_c.jpg

We're here now, nose (mostly) on and aligned:

27882263418_1801cdb8db_c.jpg

Phew!

• Like 14

Blooming lovely Ced ( the Hind cockpit Ced, I'm not talking about personals on an open forum you know) null

😧

The instruments are way better than anything I ever managed in proper job scale

Thruxton looked real fun, well done grabbing the enjoyment

That's why we retire isn't it?

😉

So you met my old mate Tiff too, we did an item on fifth gear together over a dozen years ago when we invited him to have a beer in our campsite at Le Mans in 06

He even scribbled on my inflatable St Georges flag armchair

My wife phoned me to tell me I was on the telly, small world huh

😊

Edited by perdu
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, CedB said:

Phew

Blimey Ced - you did that last update before breakfast? Looks great, especially the IP. :thumbsup:

44 minutes ago, CedB said:

The photographer told me to pose by the R8 so I jokingly did,

Yeah, right.

You just did what any of us would when a woman asks to take a photo of us next to a smart set of wheels...😁

45 minutes ago, CedB said:

There was also an automatic camera in the chicane:

Presumably that corner is now immortalized as the 'Cedric Chicane' in true Top Gear fashion.

24 minutes ago, perdu said:

Bring something inflatable to Telford this year for Ced to sign Bill... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

What did I say earlier about retirement? :hmmm:

Ced, lucky b.....loke :lol:

I agree with Bill about the IP, looks amazing 👏 👏

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

😀

It occurs to me, we've just witnessed possibly the cheapest "My Mini is for sale" ad ever

Ced your garage wall must be like mine then, you're not curing casting latex in yours too are you?

I agree with you both re: Audi or Pork, nothing looks quicker than a Porker even just standing still

Prefer a proper one to the Cayman, but beggars...

I have a built in dislike of some aspects of the VAG type front suspenders with sloppy ball joints but that is simple prejudice, nowt to take any notice of

If an A8 was outside on the drive I'm sure it would be OK really

😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Blooming lovely Ced ( the Hind cockpit Ced, I'm not talking about personals on an open forum you know) null

😧

The instruments are way better than anything I ever managed in proper job scale

Thruxton looked real fun, well done grabbing the enjoyment

That's why we retire isn't it?

😉

So you met my old mate Tiff too, we did an item on fifth gear together over a dozen years ago when we invited him to have a beer in our campsite at Le Mans in 06

My wife phoned me to tell me I was on the telly, small world huh

😊

Thanks Bill, very kind :) Tiff had a beer and you were on Telly? Great stuff! 

I've just spent a happy few minutes scrubbing through the YouTube videos of the show (slowly past the bits with VBH in, obviously, what a girl!) but to no avail, sadly...

I reckon, if it was in 2006, it must be in one of the episodes in either series 9 or 10... can you remember when it was on? Should help track it down from this list and all the episodes are on YouTube. It'd be good to watch it...

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Blimey Ced - you did that last update before breakfast? Looks great, especially the IP. :thumbsup:

Yeah, right.

You just did what any of us would when a woman asks to take a photo of us next to a smart set of wheels...😁

Presumably that corner is now immortalized as the 'Cedric Chicane' in true Top Gear fashion.

Bring something inflatable to Telford this year for Ced to sign Bill... 

Thanks Tony :) Yep, sadly, no matter what I do, I'm always awake around seven... the kids trained me out of 'lie ins' just before they started to stay in bed all morning. Damn them!

'Something inflatable'? Leaves plenty of options then... :D

26 minutes ago, giemme said:

What did I say earlier about retirement? :hmmm:

Ced, lucky b.....loke :lol:

I agree with Bill about the IP, looks amazing 👏 👏

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :)

Off for a lie down now... must be the wine. Or the beer. Or maybe the 'Bakewell Cocktail' (yum).

• Like 2

I can't tie the show down either so I have to recap

2003 I went with a mate for the first time in The Midget, Bentley Speed8 came in first and second I was hooked

We travelled across from Pompey and on the ferry we got chatting to a great bloke who was part of the design crew for Bentley

2004 my mate and I rounded up some buddies from work and the MASC to make a bigger road trip kind of event, went via the Fascat to Boulogne from Dover

That was when Tiff came calling and recorded our bit which went out later that evening

Was there a different show he did? I was less petrolheady then than now so I dunno what was on telly

Whenever it had to be in mid June

😡

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, perdu said:

It occurs to me, we've just witnessed possibly the cheapest "My Mini is for sale" ad ever

Ha ha, thanks Bill, I hadn't even thought of that! So, anyone want to buy a 'nearly fully' stage rally prepared Mini.... ??!! :rofl2:

Have you cancelled the T-Roc order & put one in for a Cayman instead then Ced? The MIL can get the bus....!! That looked a really fun day, been thinking about getting myself a day at a rally school, been nearly 40 years since I last hooned around on a proper loose surface! 

As t'others have said, the  IP looks cracking - and thanks for the acknowledgement on the use of the 'puddles of Klear', but it certainly isn't 'my' method - I'm not clever enough to think of useful things like that!

Keith

• Like 1

6 hours ago, perdu said:

I can't tie the show down either so I have to recap

2003 I went with a mate for the first time in The Midget, Bentley Speed8 came in first and second I was hooked

We travelled across from Pompey and on the ferry we got chatting to a great bloke who was part of the design crew for Bentley

2004 my mate and I rounded up some buddies from work and the MASC to make a bigger road trip kind of event, went via the Fascat to Boulogne from Dover

That was when Tiff came calling and recorded our bit which went out later that evening

Was there a different show he did? I was less petrolheady then than now so I dunno what was on telly

Whenever it had to be in mid June

😡

Oh, 2004? Had a look through a few episodes but again no joy. I don't think Tiff filmed any other shows but I may have missed it, dreaming about VBH... or if it went out that evening it might have been a news thingy? Pity, it would have been nice to see one of your '15 minutes of fame'! :)

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Ha ha, thanks Bill, I hadn't even thought of that! So, anyone want to buy a 'nearly fully' stage rally prepared Mini.... ??!! :rofl2:

Have you cancelled the T-Roc order & put one in for a Cayman instead then Ced? The MIL can get the bus....!! That looked a really fun day, been thinking about getting myself a day at a rally school, been nearly 40 years since I last hooned around on a proper loose surface! 

As t'others have said, the  IP looks cracking - and thanks for the acknowledgement on the use of the 'puddles of Klear', but it certainly isn't 'my' method - I'm not clever enough to think of useful things like that!

Keith

Thanks Keith :) We were talking about changing cars on the way back and I think we've decided that a 'practical car' is better for most days. The money saved can then be used for occasional mad sessions like this one! Have a rally day Keith, you know you want one :wicked:

6 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Best looking Audi's ever....!! :smile:

6 hours ago, perdu said:

Green

Just can't beat the look of a fast green car

😀Did you see my car?😀

Bentley 8's eh? Which year... some of them look 'vintage' to me :)

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

Nice to see that you had a great day out Ced!

Those instrument panels are absolutely superb.  I have tried 'pooling' with Humbrol 35, but will try Klear now!

Excellent work!

Thanks James - try the Klear, it works well for me on little decals like these and saves getting the 'full kit' out :)

6 hours ago, 71chally said:

Are you about to make your instructor revisit his breakfast!

I know it looks as though Rob is (maybe) losing his breakfast but I think he's pointing out the line through the chicane.

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Back to the Hind...

The IP is looking great and now the Hind is buttoned-up with her crew, one of whom has foot injuries and was nearly an amputee, is looking the part.:yes:

Stuart

Thanks Stuart :)

Recovering (a bit) from last night's excesses I looked at the next step. Why do you need to put in the two fiddly bits when they're going to be covered?

41041942634_b45845beb3_n.jpg 41718530962_5a33f6559d_n.jpg

Flip through the pages... ah, they're the supports for the u/c and the cover has gaps in it:

41759828181_1476e5699f.jpg

OMG, they'll need to be straight then. Gulp. I think / hope this is right:

27890838478_78e1dc40a3_n.jpg 41718736312_ed1707c673_n.jpg

We shall see later (I like a bit of tension in my threads...)

Out for dinner tonight (yes, again) but I plan to take it easier tonight. But you know what Mike Tyson says about plans, don't you...

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, CedB said:

But you know what Mike Tyson says about plans, don't you...

"Life is what happens when you're busy biting other peoples' ears off"?  

Looking forward to the next update!

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

This one Ced, raced in Le Mans from 2001 until it won in 2003;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_Speed_8#/media/File:Bentley_Speed_8.jpg

Keith

Wow, that's what I call a racing car... looks really aggressive eh? Do they do 'experiences' in those I wonder?

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooooh “tension mounts”! 

Badum tish! I’m here all night folks, try the chicken. 🐔

Yeah, nothing like a bit of suspense...

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Right. Sunday morning thread catch up completed.

All is now right with the world.

:smile:

Thanks Pete. Sunday mornings, 'Broadcasting House' in the background then 'The Archers', with modelling... what more could a man want?

Answers please, limited to one sheet of A4, to...

1 hour ago, Hook said:

"Life is what happens when you're busy biting other peoples' ears off"?  

Looking forward to the next update!

Cheers,

Andre

That's a good one too Andre - I was thinking of 'Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth' :D

A bit of gentle assembly this morning with no problems (for a change). Lumps and bumps added at step 39:

40875164725_885d26fbf3_z.jpg

Close up of the 'they'll be all right, I hope' u/c supports in their home:

41774489441_29a2085099_z.jpg

Bit of nonsense on the engine bay pipes (Liquidex pen ink) and boxes:

26906016507_285655797b_z.jpg

On to the winglets which click together nicely:

41056759794_b29fb5a941_z.jpg

Now a quick break while I gather some intelligence to de-code this:

27905657598_674aa7923d_z.jpg

For some reason I now have 'The leg bone's connected to the, hip bone' in my head, er, bone...

Not so catchy when you have to add in 'unless it's the Czech version in which case it's the elbow's connected to the, ear bone...' :D

And those decals / stencils... should I paint it NOW and apply those? Or try to fit them later, before the weapons go on?

So many choices...

• Like 9