Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

Thanks Simon :) Damn, missed the chance of some exercise.

'The Raven' in Bath is a favourite haunt for us, mainly because it does pie, chips (or mash for the healthy minded) and gravy. Nom nom nom.

Today's visit was enhanced by the arrival of 25-30 Italian women who were on a language course locally. Ciao bella, indeed. Even a couple of bellissimos. Noisy though, as expected. The nice blonde next to me apologised and explained 'they didn't do quiet'.  Pleasant lunch was had by all :Tasty:

As you may be able to tell the beer was also very acceptable so I only trusted myself to try the ability to rub off the wash:

41632406572_7b1701e67f_z.jpg

Both Citadels were very grippy and only rubbed off with pressure. The Flory, as we know, cleans off well with a damp cotton bud.

All 'enamels' cleaned off with white spirit:

40781546915_d33c819260_z.jpg

In fact the 'fine washes' cleaned off just with the cotton bud.

My choices? I'll decide when I've sobered up. Hic.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Today's visit was enhanced by the arrival of 25-30 Italian women who were on a language course locally.

How lucky! :wink:  :D

Nice selection of washes, BTW

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25-30 Italian Female students in a local pub that sells nice beer and pies. :Tasty:  The washes are pretty good too dear boy. 

Jont.

ps. Just saw G’s post above. ;)  doh!!

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Giorgio and Johnny :) 

Still a bit fragile this morning but I thought I was fit enough to do some washes and, maybe, some assembly.

I decided I didn't want a very dirty Hind so just went for some Mig Stone Grey for the engines to pop the detail:

41691214801_07ceb14b39_z.jpg

... and my Flory Dark Dirt / White mix for the gearbox:

41652304312_3466fcb29b_z.jpg

... and the rest of the internal panel detail:

40792364065_e57ee4195a_z.jpg

That'll do me.

Assembly? Here we go again... make sure that goes in there with THAT in there and all these are lined up so that it fits the fuselage (I don't trust the fit to get the right angles of the dangles).

First issue - the seat won't fit snugly against the bulkhead. There are two holes in the floor, a slot in the bulkhead brace and a square locating slot in the vent box on the bulkhead (circled on the photo):

39885036960_5f41aed0c8_z.jpg

The instructions say fit the seat frame with the short support against the bulkhead. Two problems; it's too long:

27822554628_ca809bb4b6_z.jpg

(trimmed) and I'd cleverly, I thought, glued the seat on so I could pain the leather in one go. IF you do this make sure this hinge is on the OTHER end:

40973323694_de7f7e29a3_z.jpg

I ripped off the seat, gently, and then it'll fit. Hmmm.

Once that's sorted one can assemble the floor, bulkhead and engine bay, making sure the seat support goes into this hole:

39884844090_4021a9e148_z.jpg

(note the white lights and panel detail in the roof; no Hendie but I'm trying) and the gearbox rear drive goes into this hole:

41652711022_da00701132_z.jpg

... and that the whole thing fits into the fuselage at the right angles, at which point, of course, it all falls apart again. Rats.

I'll have a rest for a bit, gather my faculties and then I think I'll try Bill's 'tube glue method' that holds things together but provides some wiggle.

Later...

• Like 18

You're getting the hang of this nicely

I also commend Bill's advice on tube glue, he has to be right on that

Wobbly wriggle room advised

Also clips clamps and grippy things

It is looking very much a top jolly jobby 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Still a bit fragile this morning

Shouldn't go partying with young Italian wenches :wink:.

As to build, looking really smart, even with the little snags. Washes look lovely but I think black wash for the engine bay would've been better but it's your 'copter. Keep up the good build.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

Excellent job sir! She's coming along very nicely, despite the distractions of beer and female Italian students. (What pub was that again?)

Funny how those sub assemblies fall apart just when you think everything has gone together just perfectly. It's almost like they were deliberately waiting for the right moment to get maximum reaction!

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks Simon (Beard and Spookytooth), Giorgio, Bill, Stuart, Benedikt and Ian :) I'm starting to feel that I'm making progress - dangerous!

5 hours ago, James G said:

Nice work Ced! I am making notes for when I get around to building my Hind.

Thanks James - heck, you're taking notes! In that case I'll try to make sure I document all the gotchas, including my bungles, so you can watch out for them :)

In a moment of confidence this afternoon I glued in the bulkhead and floor. As I was fiddling with it there was that clicky feeling so, as usual, I glued it while it was still 'just right':

41696400491_6a1db20fc8_z.jpg

While that was drying I moved on to some other assemblies, like the under-nose:

27828403668_7c53d64fa1_z.jpg

I have no idea why that tiny little lump isn't molded; perhaps it's different on other variants. The landing light detail is great though, even if it's not that obvious from the instructions how it fits; the 'lens' goes into the hole in the fuselage. I also assembled the, er, bit under the back:

27828410408_b793967476_z.jpg

There are two rams in there already and more to fit - I have no idea why there's so much detail here as it gets covered up, unless of course the hatch can be posed open (research required).

Then it was time to insert the engine bay:

26832516387_698251cd63_z.jpg

The instructions would have you assemble all the internals first and then place them in the fuselage, hoping that it all lines up. Ha ha ha. Of course I ignored that. For me, it was a learning experience:

“A learning experience is one of those things that says, 'You know that thing you just did? Don't do that.’” - Douglas Adams.

What I've learned is that you can't, easily, get the engine bay in with bulkhead fitted because the exhausts foul on the side before they'll go through the hole.

Wiggle it. Lots.

That done we're here now and I'm letting it dry:

26832524307_fbe424f50c_z.jpg

Some people never learn :(

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Thanks Bill, you are too kind :blush:

(Oooh look, when I typed the colon and the start of the name for that emoticon the software suggested what I might be after! Neat feature - if you can remember your emoticon names)

Thanks James :) I didn't realise this was a Zvezda re-boxing - thanks for the info.

(Oh but, it didn't change the typed smiley. Hmmm)

Thanks Johnny :)

(There it wasn't again. I wonder if the new version has other useful features? Must have a look in the help)

Anyway, great strides have been taken, and mostly in a forward direction!

Pipe and struts fitted:

40983049724_7f29ffaec5_z.jpg

Yes, it was a pain to fit the one on the other side. No, I shouldn't have glued the thing in that soon. Yes, it was also a pain to get the windows in over the seat:

40805026395_584acbb516_z.jpg

... but I did it, and the others too:

40804904765_e078bbf8bb_z.jpg

Gators Grip as usual for me. I also noticed the need to drill out the holes for the ?chaff dispensers and to cut the holes in the bottom:

26836218817_66167a7400_z.jpg

Step 26 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

This went in:

27835389038_eb65952840_z.jpg

Then, with one last look at the engines:

26836346347_76c1ee08d4_z.jpg

... it was time to close up:

26836581997_1971316afe_z.jpg

Not a bad fit but the fuselage needs 'wrapping' around all those internals, hence the tape / clamps / crossed fingers. The tail though went together beautifully.

• Like 17

Thanks Bill - I think you're super too! :winkgrin:

I found a post from Mike about the new upgrade. Now https secure (which is probably why Firefox warned me about security during the upgrade), emoticons now called 'emojis' and there's now LOTS of the things, including one for Tony and his nailbrushes - 💅. I've followed the post for updates on other new features which Mike says he'll "witter on about that once I've had time to fool around with it".

So how's the seam after a night in the clamps? Not bad here:

39902437020_b70eb907a1_n.jpg 40810574175_b37d741821_n.jpg

... and manageable here:

39902429010_9c78095821_z.jpg

Time to stick this bit in:

40810807085_81375feb55_z.jpg

But wait... why is there a hole in the fuselage under the panel and a 'drill here' mark in the panel? It doesn't say drill out? Flip through the instructions and:

41670181452_9ccb87b468_z.jpg

So there need to be holes. Two of them. Where does the other go? Grrrr, no sign of it in the instructions so the BM tip of 'shine a light' was required:

40810932555_bc9520184f_n.jpg 40810932705_497f7015cd_n.jpg

That's been marked. It's right on the edge of the panel. I can imagine the kit designers talking about that; "How do you show that you need to drill a hole in the panel edge?" "Dunno mate, let's think about it and put it in later...". :hmmm:

I've also had a revelation (cue Hallelujah music ) as to why the instructions have 'Version 1' and 'Version 2'. I'd foolishly assumed it was for the two schemes. Nope:

27841598688_35d9fd0cd7_n.jpg 27841594448_c5e3bdeb7b_n.jpg

So 'Version 1' is 'things closed' and 2 is 'things open'. I've put on my proper reading glasses and checked the small print. I even got the box out of the bin and checked that. Nothing. Ho hum.

I have also realised that choosing 'version 2', following the instructions by glueing everything open and then trying to apply the HUGE Tiger decals to the open bits at the end may be the reason why people give up their builds. Frustrating.

My plan (before I get hit in the mouth) is to latex glue all the 'open bits' closed, spray the model, apply the transfers and then, gulp, cut open the bits and pose them open.

That's my plan...

Comments?

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, CedB said:

My plan (before I get hit in the mouth) is to latex glue all the 'open bits' closed, spray the model, apply the transfers and then, gulp, cut open the bits and pose them open.

That's my plan...

Comments?

Braveheart! 😄 

Ciao

• Like 1

Thanks Bill and Giorgio, it gives me confidence to know that the plan is 'approved' by proper modellers :)

Before we get there though, the front end (technical term) needs to go on:

26844231947_c3afcdb5da_z.jpg

These are just the main parts... you'll remember I elected not to glue the cockpit to the floor and not to fit the internal panels. Yet.

The lower nose has a nice locating 'step' in the back that locates it into the fuselage and the fit is not bad; not good, but not bad.

The cockpit has 'tongues' that fit to the floor. It also has pointy bits on the front with a curved bit that goes around the gun mount.

The floor has a box section that fits over the ridged box in the nose.

Cunning design.

If all those bits went together beautifully it would be a wonderful kit.

Would it surprise you though to hear that they don't quite fit?

SURPRISE!

Firstly the man-spreading crew member had his feet trimmed:

39904546180_6db4bb9d54_z.jpg

Then all the paint on the joints was removed.

Then the tongues were sanded a bit.

Then the cockpit pointy bits were scraped a little.

Still the nose/fuselage join was pushed out by the cockpit.

Something needs to be 'adjusted' and just before I got the hammer out I left it like this and took a break:

39904854970_d6f7c8dfc5_z.jpg

Wanting to avoid the five handed juggling act, I fitted the cockpit internal panels and glued them, then supported the assembly in the fuselage to, hopefully, make sure it aligned:

41712092241_0ebde7cd94_n.jpg 39905012860_c501e551fb_n.jpg

Add bits, dry fit, sand, repeat. This is how I see my future...

• Like 12

"This is how I see my future..."

You could be out on the moors

It could be blowing a storm

Hurricanes and blizzards

And you bemoan the chance to perform the miracles induced by our mutual hobby?

Tsssk

• Haha 2

Coming together nicely now, I'm sure you will have beaten the cockpit/front end into submission before any of us can look round!

Roger

• Thanks 1