Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

10 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks James - I've seen that blue/green colour in lots of reference shots but the kit instructions are less, er, bright. If it's Revell's usual 'fit to our paint range' problem then DO let me know what colour the Czech version should have.

I'm no expert on Hinds but certainly pictures show Czech Mil-24Vs to have black cockpits, so sorry for the potential bum steer earlier.

Actually the Czech (and some Polish) cockpits look almost Westernised compared to other Hinds so I wonder if they specified their own layout and colours

http://www.flugzeug-bild.de/bild/Museen+und+Ausstellungen~Deutschland~ILA/67340/czech-air-force-mil-mi-24v-cockpit.html

Your build is coming on very nicely there!

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 1

Not being funny, but both those pilots do have the expression and facial features of a certain ex-KGB agent who's now rather highly placed.... Perhaps Airfix could do the same for Winnie, or Bomber Harris, or Euan McGregor for the ladies...

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

Not being funny, but both those pilots do have the expression and facial features of a certain ex-KGB agent who's now rather highly placed.... Perhaps Airfix could do the same for Winnie, or Bomber Harris, or Euan McGregor for the ladies...

Which is why the figures have to be put in the model.       :coat:

Andrew

• Haha 1

Thanks Simon - cooling his ardour, no doubt! :D

Thanks James - black interiors, phew! I'm still having dithers about the rest of the interiors and will have to check the references again. I think there's some grey coming :shrug:

13 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

6 hours ago, Andwil said:

Which is why the figures have to be put in the model.       :coat:

Andrew

Thanks Charlie and Andrew - I'd love to see some new additions to the Airfix figure club, bring it on! :)

Some more instrument panels have been found, filled and decalled:

27644010258_6ffec8eec4_n.jpg 26651421417_99493a7cca_n.jpg

Looks like the PPP hasn't quite hidden the ejector pin marks despite wet sanding. Oh well, I'm not going to do anything about it now after the afternoon I've had.

What happened?

Idiots diary, day #63...

Remember Bill commenting on the nuts on the gearbox? Well, it's been mithering. I blobbed some steel on:

27650648308_b959b61d02_z.jpg

Even the camera won't focus on them.

In a moment of madness I thought "I could do something I suppose". You know how I like to keep my mentors happy.

That said, they are tiny.

I found some very thin rod and cut some bits off the end:

41480018172_ff2351b634_z.jpg

I then carefully drilled some tiny holes in the top of the gearbox to match the nuts on the bottom.

I blew off the swarf caused by the drilling and applied a little bit of Contacta to each of the nut positions.

I picked up my pointy tweezers to pick up a 'nut' and... gone.

Today's lesson; when you're blowing swarf off your parts, don't blow your nuts off the bench (fnaar!)

I did find enough bits to attempt a pathetic attempt at some nuts. By this time the glue had melted the plastic so I ended up more or less molding melted plastic.

Pathetic.

No I'm not going to show you yet. Sorry, it's just too awful.

If I can calm down I'll have a look later and see what the mess looks like. And splash some colour on.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

Mentor, kinda like torment too isn't it Ced

Please DO NOT get mental like me about s... Stuff like that

The blimmin thing's going to be invisible inside the model you know

We're not all Hendie...

😉

Edited by perdu
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Today's lesson; when you're blowing swarf off your parts, don't blow your nuts off the bench (fnaar!)

:rofl2:

Lesson #2 in the lazy modeller's handbook - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do believe you're enjoying this.

We are Ced.

A T-Roc? When did cars start getting names like rappers? It's all gone to the dogs since the Lanchester Landaulette...

I wish you much happy mileage.

• Haha 5

23 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

A T-Roc? When did cars start getting names like rappers? It's all gone to the dogs since the Lanchester Landaulette...

Since at least 1984 from Chevy, https://www.depaula.com/remembering-the-soon-to-be-classic-camaro-iroc-z/:P

Like Bill, I wouldn't get hung up on that gearbox.

• Like 2

I’m sure it’s not that bad old boy. Shhh don’t tell anyone but I e done exactly the same thing when blowing plastic dust away. :blush: easily done.

i think it’s all coming along rather well.

looking forward to more.

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CedB said:

black interiors, phew! I'm still having dithers about the rest of the interiors and will have to check the references again. I think there's some grey coming :shrug:

Looking good so far. Sadly no pink and later russian blue green on it .  A favourite one  by me like any blue and pink one of the earlier easter ones . Cheers

• Like 2

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Mentor, kinda like torment too isn't it Ced

Please DO NOT get mental like me about s... Stuff like that

The blimmin thing's going to be invisible inside the model you know

We're not all Hendie...

😉

Thanks Bill :) 'Tormentor' - I like it! You're right, I shouldn't get mental about these things; they will drive me mad!! "We're not all Hendie" will now be one of my mottoes :D

(Should there really be an 'e' in that? My spell check thinks so. Hmmm)

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

:rofl2:

Lesson #2 in the lazy modeller's handbook - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

Keith

Thanks Keith - added to the handbook! :D

10 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I do believe you're enjoying this.

We are Ced.

Thanks Tony - I am enjoying it... repeat after me I AM enjoying it... :)

T-Roc? No idea. Apparently the 'T' links it to the other cars in the 'family' like the Toerag and the Tigone. I think the 'Roc' is to appeal to the youngsters 'cos it's like, street, innit.

I did look up 'funny car names' but no joy. They seem to focus on names that refer to rude things and oriental tipper trucks with variations on 'Dump'. Sadly they omit howlers like the 'Nova' (doesn't go in Spanish).

Happy mileage? Combined nearing 60mpg for my chosen TSI? We shall see what the new test standards yield (and ignore them anyway in hilly Bath)

9 hours ago, 71chally said:

Since at least 1984 from Chevy, https://www.depaula.com/remembering-the-soon-to-be-classic-camaro-iroc-z/:P

Like Bill, I wouldn't get hung up on that gearbox.

Thanks James - I-Roc, love it!

OK, no getting hung up on the gearbox; there's plenty more to mess up! :)

9 hours ago, keefr22 said:

But at least IROC meant something, what's a T-ROC - distant relative of :dinosaur: ?

Keith

Thanks Keith :D Always nice to see Rex.

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I’m sure it’s not that bad old boy. Shhh don’t tell anyone but I e done exactly the same thing when blowing plastic dust away. :blush: easily done.

i think it’s all coming along rather well.

looking forward to more.

Johnny.

Thanks Johnny, glad to hear I'm not the only one who's things get blown away! :)

8 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looking good so far. Sadly no pink and later russian blue green on it .  A favourite one  by me like any blue and pink one of the earlier easter ones . Cheers

Cheers Benedikt - they are 'unusual' colours aren't they? :)

4 hours ago, charlie_c67 said:

27658490838_e509d3a5c3.jpg

All the dinosaurs feared the T-Rex...

Spidey!!! :D

Right, this'll do:

39723452870_b2af77e800_z.jpg

It will be visible if I leave the doors open (as planned), as will these little bottle thingies:

40639063275_2419b5e352_z.jpg

I've seen a worrying number of stalled builds of this one so I'm not rushing to glue things together, yet. Those bits will join these bits:

41491836562_6da7eaaea8_z.jpg

Time for another look at that assembly video...

• Like 12

Visible? Mayhap, but bad? No sir it don't look bad at all, very excellent if you must leave apertures gaping

I do like them there bottles, throwing life into machinery- superbamundo. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, perdu said:

Visible? Mayhap, but bad? No sir it don't look bad at all, very excellent if you must leave apertures gaping

I do like them there bottles, throwing life into machinery- superbamundo. 😎

Agreed :clap:  Speaking of those bottles, what kind of metallic paint have you been using for their top? It looks very .... metallic, in a proper way :) 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Stuart, Bill and Keith :) The plan is to have the doors and hatches open to reveal the beautiful detailing on the internals and stick it in the cabinet. That's unless the kit smacks me in the mouth, of course, which is a distinct possibility! If so they'll get closed and it'll go on the ceiling.

Thanks Giorgio :) I'm using AK True Metal all the time now and this is 'Steel'. There'll be plenty more coming later, trust me!

Thanks Simon - I can't imagine having one of those and being asked 'What do you drive?' :D The Japanese do come up with some great names don't they? Like the Nissan Cedric. Or perhaps I'm just biased...

I'm beginning to see why there are a worrying number of incomplete builds of this kit on the 'net.

Fiddly is fine if you have the patience, but re-doing things because the instructions weren't clear is just annoying.

Like this:

26666237597_f7db0a823f.jpg 39726147670_cc277094e3.jpg

The supports need to be at an angle (unspecified). Rats. They've been carefully prised off the gearbox.

As if that weren't annoying enough, if you dry fit these bits to the fuselage...

41494638052_bb4fc56ab4_z.jpg

Kinda fits by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

... you can see where the intake part needs to fit the gearbox AND the bulkhead AND the fuselage - glueing that when the instructions tell you to would result in much Anglo-Saxon.

I've put that aside and returned to the crew.

Step 5 has you glueing the arms on so that they adopt a realistic pose:

40642802545_d89765a556_n.jpg 40642802485_225e15d443_n.jpg

Cool eh? The trouble is the arms aren't long enough:

41495225512_bc4b8622b2_z.jpg

Or the pilot's sitting too high (q.v.). I've positioned the arms as best I can with the pilot making a sort of 'How am I supposed to reach that? gesture:

39727188050_97e7a886e8_z.jpg

Once they're dry I can touch them up (fnaar!)

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, CedB said:

Or the pilot's sitting too high (q.v.). I've positioned the arms as best I can with the pilot making a sort of 'How am I supposed to reach that? gesture:

Or you could have fitted the stick and stuff AFTER you've stuck your dudes in...:wink:

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beard said:

Best car name ever: the Mazda Bongo Friendee...

Friend of mine had one of them. Never failed to produce a fit of giggles when he pulled up in it!!

I always liked the Mitsubishi Starion - story was it was meant to be called Stallion ....!! (I don't know if it would have been worse had they got it 'right'....!!)

Hope you get the parts fettled together nicely Ced, looking forward to seeing it all opened up!

K

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CedB said:

The Japanese do come up with some great names don't they? Like the Nissan Cedric. Or perhaps I'm just biased...

I imagine th Nissan Cedric is a handsome car that's admired by all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Thanks Giorgio :) I'm using AK True Metal all the time now and this is 'Steel'. There'll be plenty more coming later, trust me!

Oh, I  have that! :thumbsup:  Only used it once or twice through an airbrush, though.

Quite a complex assembly here - keep it up :popcorn: 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1