Mil Mi-24 Hind - Revell 1/72

CedB

Those of you who (kindly) follow my efforts to bash plastic together will know that I have a 'theme'; building WWII Aircraft from Europe.

I sometimes wander from this theme for 'special' builds and this is one of them. Why the Hind? Remember this?

"Big Old Bird". It certainly is.

In addition, you will have noticed, it's a helicopter. I'm not fond of helicopters after trying to fly one a few years ago. They may go up and down but they don't, in my opinion, go where they should. Give me fixed wings any day.

So why build this now? I bought it when I'd just started modelling again and it's been in the stash for a long time so I'm feeling guilty about it. I also bought some Revell acrylics for it at the same time and I fear, if I don't use them soon, they may go off.

Some research (apart from the film) on the kit.

DannyB started a WiP here but it stalled in the GB and again in the KUTA. I hope that's not an indication of the complexity :shutup: Sadly both builds are suffering from the PhotoBucket ransom demands and the fix seems to have stopped working, for me at least.

There's a BM walkaround here of a sad example if you're interested.

I've also seen that there's Mikro Design PE for the Zvezda kit but I won't be using that - not enough love. Sorry.

Box and sprue shots coming next.

• Like 8
  • Confused 1

The end-opening box, just before (as per Darby's instructions) it went in the recycling:

26513037337_f20a062b45_z.jpg

Sprue shots:

27513457748_848d35bfac_z.jpg

27513475768_58b15c957e_z.jpg

27513480618_c8797880c2_z.jpg

40488767135_b91d5be60b_z.jpg

26513117437_1a1109e565_z.jpg

I have to say the kit is beautifully detailed, especially the engines:

27513462388_a9f2bf6dfc_z.jpg

... so I may have to build it wheels down with the engine covers open and bung it in the cabinet. Unless I mess up :shutup:

I very sensibly bought some masks for the canopies and I hope these transfers go on well:

40669703034_6d075fa03a_z.jpg

Look at all those stencils! Flippin' 'eck,

91 steps in the 14 page instructions and some of them look really complicated... what am I doing!!??

Hold on to your hats boys!

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

Awww, thanks Stuart and welcome - I'll try to keep you entertained! :) Helicopters aren't usually my thing either; I bet I put the wings on upside down :(

Welcome Simon and Rose, nice to have you along (scratchings for me, as usual, please) :)

Small start before lunch. BM tip applied, labelling the sprues so they're easier to find:

41385617241_77d9823bba_z.jpg

The crew have had their Ratskin base coat:

41343146472_945b83f975_z.jpg

I'm hoping the paint will be dry on the Hunter later so this may not get any more attention until tomorrow.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Beard said:

First aeroplanes without propellers and now helicopters, have you taken leave of your senses man?

Exactly my same thought! :D 

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

'copters are not normally my thing but you're entertaining chap so I'll tag along. :popcorn:

I'm gonna have to repeat myself: exactly my same thought! :D  :D

:popcorn:

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Oo a Hind!  I built the old Revell Tigermeet version back when I was about 12-13... many moons ago.  I will be interested to see how this version builds up as I have been meaning to build another and have had my eye on this one.

I've just noticed and not seen it mentioned anywhere, but are you trying to build the Hind-F that is in the film or the Hind-E from the box CedB?  I will be pulling up a beanbag for this one. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

Well it does have wings so I suppose it's OK to watch.

I think the last one I built was a Seasprite about 20 years ago because I liked the shape.

Cheers.

John

PS There seem to be an awful lot of bits, I think you're right to label the sprues.

• Haha 1

This is great news. I have built the Hasegawa Hind D and have several other types in my stash so will be following with great interest.

There is a much better walkaround here posted by Georgeusa and myself.

I don't think you will have too many problems, it looks like a very nice kit. You definitely need to have those engine covers open. It may look complicated but as in the case of eating an elephant, break it down into manageable steps and you should be fine. I think helicopters make excellent modelling subjects  precisely because they have lots of sticky out, interesting bits on them.

The example I built was one of the first models I finished after getting back into modelling so it's a bit crude by my current standards and it was not recorded on BM. The model is still in Aberdeen and I only have one photo of it to hand, here is some detailing I added to the missile launchers:

P1090758_zpskgyviya6.jpg

Good luck, I think you'll enjoy it.

Regards,

Nigel

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great to see this build, it's the Revell boxing of the Zvezda Hind kit which is superb.

Apart from the 35th scale Trumpy kit, I believe this is the only kit which accurately portrays that distinctive pis  d lean to stb'd of the real Hind.

Looking forward to your work on this Ced.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Simon and welcome Keith, Giorgio, Benedikt and John, nice to see you all :)

Welcome Daz :) Er, it'll be whatever the box is... the 'E' then, with those crazy Czech markings and a more interesting cockpit - TWO colours, woo hoo!

5 hours ago, Courageous said:

...and i thought it was to ditch the instructions and build it how it should.:suicide:

Stuart put that gun away! Too late...

Not having letters on the sprues is one of the pains of Revell kits IMHO. Another is putting letters for the paint colours so you have to keep looking them up at the front of the instruction book. I've copied that page, as usual, and will be grabbing various paint types from the stash.

Thanks Nigel and welcome! Those walk around shots are great, thanks. I may even try to replicate one or two of the details. Maybe even three :)

Thanks James and welcome - it does look like a nice kit and I've seen someone else modelling the offset cockpit. Wine may be required :)

Cockpit assembled ready for black with black bits on the black. At least the crew are in grey (colour two done):

26522076057_678eb0e35d.jpg 27523023938_4d612f7389.jpg

• Like 9

Labelling up the sprues is a very good move Ced.

And I do the same for the paints.

I write the colour codes down and what paint I am using too.

Revell are notorious for their LETTERS, p.i.t.a. if you ask me.

Simon.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CedB said:

I've copied that page, as usual, and will be grabbing various paint types from the stash.

Haha Ced,  first failure! I watch those at a glimpse, turn it away then and put it into the bin ! They are rubbish usually with theiir 3 to 74,9724356774 to mix together for  the right colour!

Edited by bbudde
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, CedB said:

it does look like a nice kit and I've seen someone else modelling the offset cockpit. Wine may be required :)

Actually the cockpit is the only thing that is straight! Aft of the cockpit bulkhead, and from the cargo floor upwards is where the fuselage, tail boom, wings and tailplane are all canted off by about 2 1/2 degrees.  Doesn't sound a lot but it is really noticeable on the ground.

40499722195_95c1479324_c.jpgHind 2 1/2 degree fuselage lean by James Thomas, on Flickr

https://militaryedge.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/MI-35_Iraq_8.jpg

You're lucky as this kit has it covered but one of my future projects ids the 48th Revell one which will have to be modded.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1