Academy FA-18D 1/32

Wafu

Hi all,

Just thought before I put a wanted add in the relevant place, has anyone built this kit?

I'd like to do the D but could be pushed into the C in 1/32. The internet throws it usual reviewer who I have to say doesn't inspire me personally, but thats just my opinion. I would much prefer a fellow member telling me the warts 'n' all version.

Even if you have one gathering dust, please give me your thoughts on the general look of the kit.

Cheers Woo. 

Yes - 1/32 Hornets are "my thing", I've done an Academy "c" & "d" and have another of each in the stash (that represents 10+ years of being on the lookout on Evilbay, so not that I am a money Baron!). As a comparison I've done a Trumpy "F" and am at the 95% complete on an "e". Academy are easily 30% better in quality & detail, but if "modern" is your thing, then the legacy Hornets all go from frontline (USN) service in next 18 months......

The "D" is harder to find,, hence you are less likely to get a bargain on line. 

Academy Hornets look spot on. The Weapon selection provided is so good, you'll never need to buy aftermarket weapons again. However, these are mostly "heavy" (2000lb +) bombs and apart from publicity shots, Legacy Hornets (I think) only have a 2-3000lb margin for fuel at recovery, so building a Sea Going "C" with lots of heavy bombs will be a little element of fantasy. Missiles (-9L/Ms, amraams, Maverick are outstanding AS ARE THE DECALS with the weapons.)

The "best" "D" that I saw made was Marcel's F/A-18D on the ARC forum. Somewhere he did the most excellent build article over several weeks showing what he did.  He used the MAW Decals which I think is too difficult to find now, but MAW does that excellent sheet with the white Ace of Spades on an all black tail that is still available. 

When I finally pluck up the courage to do one of my 2 in storage, I'll be using the Jake Melphy (sp?) book and opening up the engine bay (again, both Trumpy & Academy provide a good engine that just needs some wiring & some internal bulkheads)

Final note, I think there is a combined A/B/C/D kit out there at the moment with a pretty good decal sheet included - not seen for less than £120 on any website, but does represent a good couple of months of building (although I've seen how quick you can push out an F-4J in days, perhaps not!)

Edit: to add (despite the other SAC metal bashing in the other thread in "modern") the SAC white metal main undercarriage legs is a must. the Trumpy legs, (not as detailed) are strong, the Academy legs (plastic with "thin" metal inserts) WILL bend at the knees under the weight of the kit. The SAC metal legs are obviously just metal copies of the plastic kit ones, AND have a weak locating pin at top. but generally will hold the kit up. (Although I tend to support my kit with a small polystyrene raft on the display shelf at home)

• Like 1