McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1, Industrial Group "Mir" (Minsk) 1/72

Hello, colleagues!

I'd like to present another model from the FROG/NOVO contest - the british naval fighter McDonnell Douglas Phantom FG.1. It is the repack of the old FROG model F262 by Industrial Group "Mir" (Minsk). As usual I built this model in "Out of the box" nomination, so no modifications to the original kit were allowed. The only modification allowed to me by the contest administration was the extension of the nose landing gear. This gives the model more "british" look.

The model is of poor quality and was difficult to build. According to the rules of the contest I had to stay within the limits of the kit - rised panel lines, geometry inaccuracies and so on. So, the result is before you.

It is the naval fighter XT872 005/R, Naval Air Squadron 892, Royal Navy, HMS Ark Royal, 1973.

DSC_3113.jpg

DSC_3116.jpg

DSC_3117.jpg

DSC_3118.jpg

DSC_3119.jpg

DSC_3120.jpg

DSC_3121.jpg

DSC_3128.jpg

DSC_3129.jpg

DSC_3105.jpg

DSC_3107.jpg

DSC_3108.jpg

DSC_3130.jpg

DSC_3131.jpg

DSC_3141.jpg

DSC_3142.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Serge Tkach
  • Like 63

Thanks all for the comments!

3 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

... but I don't understand your comment about the raised panel lines, as they do look very much like they have been engraved (?) 

Roger,

I want to say that I had to do with the original kit panel lines. In this kit there are two types of the panel lines:

• engraved:
    DSC_3134.jpg

• raised:
    DSC_3120.jpg

And in addition to these line types I added the other one - drawn - the lines simply were drawn on the model:

DSC_3119.jpg

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

... those panel lines look like some quite hefty weld seams on mine.

Yes, stever219, you are absolutely right! 

Edited by Serge Tkach
  • Like 7

3 minutes ago, Serge Tkach said:

Thanks all for the comments!

Roger,

I want to say that I had to do with the original kit's panel lines. In this kit there are two types of panel lines:

• engraved:

• raised:
    DSC_3120.jpg

And in addition to these line's types I added other one - drawn - lines simply drawn on the model:

Ok; thanks. I can clearly see the raised lines in the close-up photo. Which makes it an even more remarkable job......:smile:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

And in addition to these line's types I added other one - drawn - lines simply drawn on the model:

This is an amazing build of a kit that by todays standards is pretty poor. You have done a great job with this. It looks superb. Can I ask what you used to draw on some of the panel lines?

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

... Can I ask what you used to draw on some of the panel lines?

Cheers

Terry

Terry,

sure! The process is rather simple. I draw the panel lines with the airbrush using masks:

1. Stick a stripe of the masking tape (I use Tamiya) to one side from the panel line;
  2. Stick another stripe of the masking tape next to the first one leaving a narrow gap between them (which would be a panel line);
  3. Blow this gap with the airbrush using the appropriate shade of paint. I use Tamiya acrylic paint - it dries very quickly;
  4. Peel off the masks - panel lines are ready! The acrylic paint is very fast to dry so you can stick masking stripes to a some other place and draw a new line.

So nothing complicated!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2