Looking for 1:72 decals for a 17 Sqn Jag GR. 1

Does anyone know of a sheet that includes markings for a No 17 Sqn Jaguar?  I want one that depicts the standard markings, which as far as I am aware, were pretty much unchanged during the whole time the Jaguar equipped 17 Sqn.  Xtradecal nol X72026 has a non-standard Luftwaffe exchange scheme, ut that's not what I'm looking for.  No doubt Modecal did a sheet back in the day, but as good as they were in their time, they're no longer exactly state of the art, and in any case hard to find these days.

Cheers!

To some/many of us it is b..... ridiculous to dismiss Modeldecals in such a manner

Having said that even Dick was plagued at times by bad print register problems but the actual research and detail is still second to none

I expect I bought ALL the out of register ones back in the day

Sheet 30 as andyf says

• Like 4

I must agree with Perdu. Modeldecal led the field as far as subject matter, presentation and attention to detail were concerned. They were first rate and always came with a good selection of photos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I find it funny that in this thread we have a modeller who doesn't want to use Modeldecals yet in this thread, we have a modeller actively seeking them out.  It's a funny old world!

FWIW, I still class Modeldecal as the benchmark by which I judge all other decals, there's a lot of manufacturers out there who'd do well to include the detail and information Modeldecal did.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 8

5 hours ago, Wez said:

FWIW, I still class Modeldecal as the benchmark by which I judge all other decals, there's a lot of manufacturers out there who'd do well to include the detail and information Modeldecal did.

And, even more fundamentally, also a lot of manufacturers who would do well to actually get the transfers right: too many sheets, even from some of the better names in the business, make it to market nowadays on the back of sloppy research (eg incorrectly sized or proportioned markings, wrong styles of lettering).  And Modeldecal transfers don't turn out to be virtually transparent when you apply them to the model.

I would have to concede however that the best modern transfers like Cartograph are more sharply printed than Modeldecal, much as I love them.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Seahawk said:

And, even more fundamentally, also a lot of manufacturers who would do well to actually get the transfers right: too many sheets, even from some of the better names in the business, make it to market nowadays on the back of sloppy research (eg incorrectly sized or proportioned markings, wrong styles of lettering).  And Modeldecal transfers don't turn out to be virtually transparent when you apply them to the model.

I would have to concede however that the best modern transfers like Cartograph are more sharply printed than Modeldecal, much as I love them.

For content, which generally includes stencilling, and accuracy Modeldecal are still my gold standard, rarely, if ever, beaten. Two Bobs are probably the modern equivalent but, sadly, not RAF subjects.

For manufacturing technology they were always, for me, second to Micro/Superscale which seemed a bit thinner and more flexible and didn't suffer from the white claggy adhesive of Modeldecals. Even so, if you are careful these can easily be overcome and I've got some near perfect results from them.

Going back on topic, my database tells me I've a part used sheet 30 - I'll check in the next few days and let you know if the Jaguar part is present as I won't be using it and could pass it on.

Edited by rossm
typo
  • Like 2

On 11/04/2018 at 7:42 AM, Possibly Apocryphal said:

Does anyone know of a sheet that includes markings for a No 17 Sqn Jaguar?  I want one that depicts the standard markings, which as far as I am aware, were pretty much unchanged during the whole time the Jaguar equipped 17 Sqn.  Xtradecal nol X72026 has a non-standard Luftwaffe exchange scheme, ut that's not what I'm looking for.  No doubt Modecal did a sheet back in the day, but as good as they were in their time, they're no longer exactly state of the art, and in any case hard to find these days.

Cheers!

Modeldecal are still the dogs nutz

..and you only have to use the squadron markings if you are that fussy.....try flea bay

You could of course make em yourself....then let me know how.:D 

I would agree with all of the positive comments made about Modeldecals which like others I still use to judge other products against however the most recent sheets were first released almost 25 years ago.     So is it the age of the range that apparently renders them no longer 'state of the art'  in whatever way that hackneyed term can be applied to decal sheets or is it just another facet of the old is bad new is good outlook that dominates many aspects of life including our hobby today?

Maybe another reminder that the Emperor's New Clothes was a cautionary tale not a life model.

• Like 1

I think we all get the point PA ( may we call you that?) however the quality of the actual markings, the detail given and even obscure bits of the subject machines photographed to aid fixing made them the outstanding items they still are

Compared with some other a/m markings they are still paramount in my book, blimey compare the quality with even the kit maker's own

Have you seen the utter garbage that Italeri give you with the T2 Jaguars, even the fonts used were miles away from the RAF font in use on them.

On 13/04/2018 at 9:43 AM, rossm said:

Going back on topic, my database tells me I've a part used sheet 30 - I'll check in the next few days and let you know if the Jaguar part is present as I won't be using it and could pass it on.

Unfortunately the Jaguar part is missing, probably given away some time ago,

Sorry,

Ross

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

I'm told I'll be late for my own funeral! 

I know this thread ended a long time ago but I have just discovered my favourite Modeldecal detail of all time.

While perusing Set 98 for the 2 Sqdn GR1 I am building, I noticed a spelling error on one of the stencils. "RESCUE" is spelled "RESOUE". 

Aha thought I! A rare Modeldecal error until I read the Jaguar photo caption in the set; "... and if you spot a spelling error in decal 10... that's the way it was on the real aircraft. If you want authenticity...!"

I always think of Scale Models' Geoff Prentice's comment that he wasn't supposed to be reviewing decal instruction sheets. They were worth the price of the set on their own.

Having said all that, their printing quality was of its time. However they were and still are fantastic value. Modern print quality vs enthusiastic detailed research... you pays your money and takes your choice.

Phil.

• Like 6