Next Build

Tweener

Now that work on the B-10 is underway, and a scheme has been chosen (17th PS Hack), I'm wondering what to buy and build next.

I had been considering the Valom YFM, but given that kits reputation, I don't think I'm quite ready to give it a go.

Sticking with the themes of interwar Chinese, British, or American military aircraft, does anyone have any suggestions?

Preferably the build would be multi engine- Single engine types have gotten boring as of late.

Also, if anyone can find me an affordable kit of the Martin MB-2 or any of the Keystone Bombers, do please let me know.

Thanks, Tweener

Only MB-2 kit is 'box scale' ancient Glencoe/UPC kit and Keystone very expensive Choroszy Polish resin kit. There's very little good published info on either, which probably explains the lack of kits.

If you don't want to build vacform or resin kits, then your choice of multi-engine types is extremely limited.  Maybe Matchbox H.P. Heyford or Supermarine Stranraer; or Academy B-17B or PBY-2....

Oops.....forgot Special Hobby Douglas B-18/18A, Sword/Special Hobby/Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 and Valom H.P. Harrow.   All are limited-run kits similar in quality (maybe slightly better) than Valom YFM-1 and are quite expensive, especially the Eduard Sikorsky which is 3x the price of the original Sword issue. 

10 hours ago, Roger Holden said:

Only MB-2 kit is 'box scale' ancient Glencoe/UPC kit and Keystone very expensive Choroszy Polish resin kit. There's very little good published info on either, which probably explains the lack of kits.

If you don't want to build vacform or resin kits, then your choice of multi-engine types is extremely limited.  Maybe Matchbox H.P. Heyford or Supermarine Stranraer; or Academy B-17B or PBY-2....

Ive done the Matchbox Heyford before, a lovely kit, but my result was less than pleasing.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Azur has a Gamma bomber coming out soon. Just saw the review on Finescale. Kit number Fr034 Gamma 2E in chinese service

That one has been on my list for a short while. The nature of the rear windows has prevented me from going for it. Perhaps Krystal Klear would work instead however...

I know if I can find an MPM A-17 for cheap I'll be grabbing it. 

Thanks for the suggestions, Tweener

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

If you're doing the B-18, Douglas B-18 Bolo: The Ultimate Look: from Drawing Board to U-boat Hunter will be a good reference. I have the B-25 book from the series, and it's outstanding.

BTW, love the era, it's one of my favorites!

HTH

-- 

dnl

Looks like a solid publication, but idk if I am willing to spend that much on a reference, especially when the kit is 40$ plus from the start. I would definitely love to do a B-18 however, and perhaps even a B-23 if a kit of one ever appears. I've done some conversion before, but nothing that extreme!

Very challanging (also due to price) will be resin kit of  Curtiss Condor by Ardpol

https://ardpolmodels.com.pl/produkt/72-068-curtss-tl-32-condor-bird-antarctic-expedition/

Soon the Chineese variant should be available as well.

You may see also on Broplan kits. Look at Farman F 70

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/farman-f70-lignes-aeriennes-farman-ms-202-broplan-ms-202-airliner-modelling-kits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=147904

There ore others like Boeing 80, Savoia 74, Dewoitine 338...

Cheers

J-W

I've always liked the looks of the prewar Boeing B-17....I remember an Academy kit that my brother finally gave to a friend....that early fortress looked so sexy with that weird shapd tail....

Cheers....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2018 at 10:10 PM, SoftScience said:

Where in the world did you find an AT-11?

Pioneer 2 / PM Models has a kit of one. It lacks either style of top turret, however, and has little interior. I added some plastic sheeting to hide some holes, etc, which made it presentable enough. Just be warned, fit of the wings is less than great, and decals may prove less than usable.