Accurate Miniatures MK1-A Mustang

Hi,

Here is my finished Accurate Miniatures MK1-A Mustang, a model produced back in 1991 but stills has a lot of detail. I would like to note that when I bought the kit, it came with an aftermarket Allison Engine which although having a lot of detail, was a nightmare to cut out as the plastic was so thin.

This is the recognisance fighter and so a gun camera and armed with 20mm cannons finished in D-Day stripes and has been one of my more enjoyable builds only taking two weeks to complete. This is also the first kit in a while where I haven't mucked up the canopy due to silly mistakes and made sure to invest in Swann and Morton blades which made it 10x easier.

Although I always note this when I do a ready for inspection, I take photos on my smart phone but for some reason the best part of the kit it picks up is the dust rather than focusing the camera properly; hence why I have been put a blank sheet behind it to try and focus the camera more.

Hope you enjoy!

Ryan

:)

LLVa06j.jpg

kkTNXJ1.jpg?1

95z7Fze.jpg

6syviHt.jpg

mamAWV3.jpg

gkbOAob.jpg

EQ5mwS8.jpg

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, bruce bay said:

Great looking Mustang! Very neat markings, and lovely weathering. How was the kit to put together? 

Yeah, really easy no excess parts. Just where it was needed and used virtually no filler on it. 

The decals are quite thick though, so painted on what I could 

Great looking model of a particularly interesting Mustang type!

A 'gun camera' has nothing to do with photo reconnaissance, though – it's by definition pointed forward to record gun hits in the target.

The early PR P-51A had two recce cameras – one side oblique camera behind the pilot and another one just aft of the radiator exhaust scoop. This latter camera could actually be adjusted in flight to work either as a rear oblique or a vertical camera.

For anyone hungry for the nitty-gritty, this website tells the whole story in detail and with very clear technical photos:

http://retromechanix.com/early-photo-reconnaissance-p-51-mustang-1943/nggallery/image/image-708

Really nice model!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 1