Airfix Spitfire MK 1A and Mustang IV in 1/72

Here's my latest two.

I think I have improved a bit since I joined here with a lot of help along the way from the great crew here. Still plenty of dodgy parts but that's the level I am at the moment. I can't blame the kits as they were both really nice quality that went together well and with some nice detailing. 

I think the aircraft illustrate well what the RAF was using at the beginning and at the war's end although personally  I think the beautiful lines of the Spit shade the squared off design of the Mustang.

I used the paint that came with the kits which wasn't too bad, coated them in gloss before fixing the transfers and then re matted the whole thing afterwards although I am still getting "silvering," anyone know why?

DSCN3051.jpg

DSCN3050.jpg

DSCN3049.jpg

DSCN3048.jpg

DSCN3055.jpg

DSCN3053.jpg

DSCN3052.jpg

• Like 13

Every one built is another lesson learned.

Silvering is caused by the decal not seating fully onto the substarate, in this case the acrylic paint that you used.

A smooth, glossy surface helps the decal sit on the surfacce.  You can use a gloss paint (like Xtracolours from Hannants) or a bit of 'varnish' like the Winsor and Newton Galeria finishes you can get in most art and craft shops. 

You can also help by making sure that the decal is on the surface; I use a cotton bud and gently roll it over the surface once the decal is correctly positioned.  This squeezes out trapped air bubbles and excess water - which is absorbed by the cotton bud.

You can also use setting agents for the decals. this makes them sort of dissolve into the surface.  I say sort of as I'm unsure of the chemistry.  But they soften the decal and make it conform to the curves and bumps of the surface.  The Spitfire roundel on the wing has to sit over those bumps on the upper surface.  This is made better if you use something like the stuff from Microscale.

I guess loads of advice will be pouring in.  Each one of us has a favourite technique for applying decals. 

Just take your time.  Try one or two and go with what works for you.

Enjoy!

Edited by FatFlyHalf
Spellinge errur agin
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, FatFlyHalf said:

You can also use setting agents for the decals. this makes them sort of dissolve into the surface.  I say sort of as I'm unsure of the chemistry.  But they soften the decal and make it conform to the curves and bumps of the surface.  The Spitfire roundel on the wing has to sit over those bumps on the upper surface.  This is made better if you use something like the stuff from Microscale.

A trick that may prove helpful if you don't have ready access to 'setting solutions' of the type FFH described: if you use an acrylic clear gloss, applying it just before adding the decals may leave it 'soft' and water-soluble enough to help the decal's adhesive bond a bit more readily. Rolling a cotton bud carefully over the decal as described may help it 'grab' as well as pressing out lingering air-bubbles, reducing the silvering problem.

:yes: for your builds: every project is a step forward! Always appreciate members sharing their work.

• Like 1

pretty good! you could also try to thin your paints a bit, applying them in several (2-3) thinner coats (let them dry in between). Don't forget to add yellow tips to the propellers and you can use masking tape to get straight lines next time!

• Like 1

First off Great pair of models. Im assuing you brushed the paint on. Its possible the silvering is due to brushstrokes even though you applied a glosscoat. You could try to polish the surface before gloss coat and decals with a micro mesh polishing cloth ? 

• Like 1

And don't forget to paint the edges of the canopy parts the same colour as the camouflage.

So you will avoid these white unrealistic edges. If you are not sure,  you can use a piece of masking tape, this will avoid you

to mar the canopy.

Good luck and enjoy your hobby. Polo.

• Like 1

Your certainly getting there mate.  From the build perspective you have got the Spit pretty good i e fuselage seems rubbed down well.

Have a look on YouTube at Quick kits the guy who posts aims at modellers using brushes..  He also goes into applying decals you may find this informative.

Also have a look at Humbrol Decalfix on YouTube helps the decal conform to the area your applying it on.  Microsol as mentioned is probably better though.

Just keep building and enjoying the hobby mate...

• Like 1

Thanks all for some very constructive criticism. 

I must admit I was surprised how rotten they looked under magnification! 

That said I will definitely be getting some decal solution to try and improve that situation although not just yet as I am shortly off to the USA for three weeks.

Might have a peek in some model shops out there!