AMP Fairey Ultralight Helicopter

The Fairey UltraLight Helicopter was designed to meet an Air Ministry specification in 1954 for a small helicopter for battlefield and possible shipborne use and for training. Westland also produced a design that was never built. Six were ordered and five were apparently built, two were finished as private ventures after government support was withdrawn in 1956 and remarkably both survive in museums. These two machines had new cockpit shapes and one (G-APJJ) is the subject of the kit.

The AMP kit is a short run multimedia kit with very small and delicate injection moulded parts, a fret of PE with some items in the insanely tiny category, a small decal sheet and a set of masks. The masks fit reasonably well, but did not like some of the curved surfaces. The instructions give two colour schemes, but the illustrations are a little vague in places with a couple of apparent mistakes. Overall it makes up into a nice model with only a couple of errors. The tailboom  as moulded is at an angle relative to the 'fuselage' and it should be more horizontal (although that could be me). Th3 exhaust for the Nimbus engine also appears to be too small in diameter. the finished model is about two inches long excluding rotor and landing skids and is very delicate. 

The Work In Progress is here: 

P1010733

P1010737

P1010736

P1010735

this last picture shows the helicopter posed against a contemporary fighter of the period, in this case it is the Revell Hunter F.6

P1010732

Thanks for looking and as the Sirius Cybernetic Corporation would say, 'share and enjoy'

Martin

'I've just worked out that if I put my left arm in my right ear I can electrocute myself, permanently, - Marvin the Paranoid Android 

• Like 36

The airframe in the kit is at the Midland Aircraft Museum at Coventry. The other one is at the British Rotorcraft Museum at Weston-super-Mare. The latter we being restored from what looked like very poor condition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr T said:

The airframe in the kit is at the Midland Aircraft Museum at Coventry. The other one is at the British Rotorcraft Museum at Weston-super-Mare. The latter we being restored from what looked like very poor condition. 

Thanks for that. I've been to both of those museums, but it sounds like the one I saw was in Coventry. 

• Like 1

Nice work. Your fingers must me more nimble than fine.

Did they not fly one from the back of a Landrover at Farnborough - or is my memory failing?

• Thanks 1

Looks lovely, very tiny and fiddly though. I've got one on the way.

5 hours ago, John R said:

Nice work. Your fingers must me more nimble than fine.

Did they not fly one from the back of a Landrover at Farnborough - or is my memory failing?

Not a Land Rover but I believe it's a Ford Thames ET6 flatbed. YouTube video of it at Farnborough

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, invidia said:

that looks great, very small, i would break it !!!!!!

It has needed a bit of repair to the skids and the pitot boom and one of the fins came adrift in the build. 

Thanks everyone for the kind comments, I have  Magna Models Marathon on the home straight, so I reckon I am a bit of a modelling masochist. I have an Airfix Spitfire II out the stash as a bit of relaxation, even going to use the kit transfers. 

2 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Really interesting helicopter.  Looks like it would be a blast to fly!  I wonder if the tailboom is angled to off set torque?

I think the tailboom is more angled on the kit than in real life. The fin underneath the tail was made of steel and was movable to deflect the jet efflux for control purposes. 

6 hours ago, CMSCHLOM said:

Really interesting helicopter.  Looks like it would be a blast to fly!  I wonder if the tailboom is angled to off set torque?

The thing about these helicopters that used tip jet rotors I'd that there is no torque reaction to counter. The tail fins are there to keep the aircraft pointing in the direction the pilot desires.

• Like 1