1/72nd S&M BAC Canberra B2, 100 sqdn, RAF Marham, 1980.

Well done Andy. That’s yet another excellent example of this kit and additional motivation to push on with my started and slow progressing build. I’ll pick up the Airfix mag once it sails it’s way down to my shores which won’t be for about another month yet! 

I agree that this S&M / Mikro Mir kit is probably the only new fishbowl Canberra that we’re likely to see in 1/72.  As we know it’s certainly no beginners kit, however scrubs up very nicely with time and effort. 

So hopefully the modelling public will support these bold companies to help them improve their overall quality for future products. Excellent examples like this is the best form of advertising I can think of. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2

Lovely job Andy and in my favourite Canberra scheme too,.....might just have to get myself one of these!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, as ever your comments are very much appreciated, glad you like it, 

Was hoping to bump into you yesterday at Cosford, not sure if you was there. I meant to pm you before hand 😳

Ah yes, Cosford... pm sent. To be perfectly honest mate I completely forgot about it as major restoration work at Melchett towers took over...well someone had to supply the builders with endless cups of Earl Grey and hob-nobs!...I'll try and remember the next one..(Milton Keynes I think, or is it :hmmm:

Thanks Dave,

That’s yet another excellent example of this kit and additional motivation to push on with my started and slow progressing build. I’ll pick up the Airfix mag once it sails it’s way down to my shores which won’t be for about another month yet! 

I agree that this S&M / Mikro Mir kit is probably the only new fishbowl Canberra that we’re likely to see in 1/72.

Hope you enjoy the mag. I think you could well be right, I can't for the life of me understand why the fishbowls have been so neglected in 1/72nd, it's not like there are no examples lying around for reference or experts like John Sheehan and John Adams to talk to....did the model companies have a collective falling out with BAC/EE? You really should press on with your build, look forward to seeing the results.

Cheers Tony, sorry I didn't get more time to chat with you at Bolton but good to see you there.

and in my favourite Canberra scheme too,.....might just have to get myself one of these!

You definitely must! for all it's faults it's a great little kit to put together, particularly as it's a limited run jobbie.

• Like 2

Well, it may have dimensional errors but to me it definitely looks like a Canberra.  A fantastic paint job that looks very authentic and over all a superb build.  I wish the kit was a bit cheaper as I'd really like a few of these to represent some of the really attractive schemes the type wore over the years, principally the original grey and black, the green, grey and PRU Blue and the HSS markings.  So many squadrons to represent too!

• Like 3

Thanks fellas, 

It may not be the perfect Canberra kit, but your build makes it look great.

Well, it may have dimensional errors but to me it definitely looks like a Canberra. 

To be honest, it seems that the errors almost balance themselves out...and I agree, so many interesting schemes. Going to have to do a few bombers for our BC SIG and also fancy a T.11/T.17 or two.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Extra chocolate ration for that general!

Dairy milk, obviously. The dark stuff is for the blackout. (And none of those cut price Easter eggs).

Ripping Canberra build, Herr General, love it.

These changes to Melchett towers. Any bigger and you'll need anti-coll lights to warn off the Waddo chaps.

BTW, those peasant houses in the village, slow going isn't it? Is Darling building them from Lego bricks?

• Haha 1

Pete, I had to wave off an Airseeker only this afternoon and a pair of Tiffies nearly came a cropper last Thursday. I've placed Darling in the eagle's nest armed with my trusty Martini-Henry breech loader, an Aldiss lamp and a copy of King & Country, to keep the blighter awake in the wee hours. He takes the odd pot-shot to keep the locals keen when the mood takes him.

Don't talk to me about peasants houses...the wattle's falling off the walls, the daub's gone sour and the communal septic tank is now backing up...I blame the wretched by-pass! 

Edited by general melchett
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Thanks Martian...I shall dive into the Du Rhône 16 piece assortments as soon as the Memsahib hits the sack!

If she's anything like Mrs Martian, she will have found them, pinched them and scoffed them before she hits the sack!

Martian

• Like 1

If she's anything like Mrs Martian, she will have found them, pinched them and scoffed them before she hits the sack!

No problem, I have a DeLafée of Switzerland’s Gold Chocolate Box stashed away as an emergency contingency plan....or at least I did have! :doh:

• Haha 1

spent the day at Marham today

A good way to spend the day Chris...I remember spending many happy hours at the end of the Marham runway, with a few good friends, watching Victor K1's thrashing circuits in the early seventies.

Brings back happy memories of watching them at Wyton in the 80's, when I lived just over the fence!

Thanks Gazza, now that's definitely a good place to live. Used to hitch lifts to Wyton and Alconbury then on to Wittering and Cottesmore back in the late 70's too...great days, so different from now.

• Like 1