Chieftian in 1/72?

Supertom

So I'm guessing this is an oft-discussed topic, but I couldn't find a thread using the search (somebody smack me if I did it wrong), but other than Cromwell, does anyone do a 1/72 Chieftian? I could have sworn I heard a rumour that ModelCollect was on to it. I'm surprised there isn't a modern kit of it out there.

I've seen the ancient 1970-vintage Airfix kit erroneously listed as 1/72 - it's actually 1/76 - but that's the only one I've seen with any regularity. I seem to remember a diecast or two, but no other plastic kits.

Here's what's listed on Scalemates:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=chieftain&fkCATNAME[]="Tanks"

There's nothing in 1/72 and only the Airfix in 1/76 and a resin kit of a Mk.6 AVLB Bridgelayer by a company I've never heard of called "Wee Friends"

21 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

And that's the thing. I looked on Scalemates, but I'm convinced I saw a 1/72 Chieftian being discussed for future release, but I can't recall where. It might just be a rumor, but since I can't find that post/thread/discussion again, I might just be losing my mind. Thanks for confirming guys!

ACE may be a candidate  in the not too distant future.....They've done the Centurion. 

Nothing about a Chieftain in Modelcollect's future plans AFAIK.....Maybe on FB, but not seen any mention of a Chieftain elsewhere.

Apparently  there's a resin kit from Sgt's Mess.....Scale described as 20mm, so I'm a bit dubious, here are the bits:

sgtsmess1_72chieftain%20(1).jpg

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/chieftain-mk-v-in-20mm-scale/19929

There are several more resin kits from Cromwell Models in 1/72 (Mk.2, Mk.5 Burlington, Mk.10, Mk.11) available from Tracks & Troops, these should be very good models:

http://www.tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=lqnn8k522jt6plpqg713c0iva7&keyword=chieftain

If you've not dealt with T&T in the past, you can do so with confidence.....Don't panic at the P&P charge initially added to your order, it's just a placemarker.  Milan will charge the correct sum when he has the kits in his hands to weigh, this can take A LONG TIME (these are cottage industry kits, and can be very hard to source).....Thirteen months is the longest I've had to wait, but you aren't actually charged for the kits until they are packed and ready to go.  I have no connection to T&T BTW other than as a satisfied customer, if this is the sort of obscure kits you are after T&T are the most reliable source I know of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=Kits&q=chieftain&fkCATNAME[]="Tanks"

There's nothing in 1/72 and only the Airfix in 1/76 and a resin kit of a Mk.6 AVLB Bridgelayer by a company I've never heard of called "Wee Friends"

The Wee Friends kit is sold by Friendship Models through Ebay; I think it's a former CSMC (Continental Scale Models Company) kit.

Edited by Richard E

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

ACE may be a candidate  in the not too distant future.....They've done the Centurion. 

Nothing about a Chieftain in Modelcollect's future plans AFAIK.....Maybe on FB, but not seen any mention of a Chieftain elsewhere.

Apparently  there's a resin kit from Sgt's Mess.....Scale described as 20mm, so I'm a bit dubious, here are the bits:

sgtsmess1_72chieftain%20(1).jpg

http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/article/chieftain-mk-v-in-20mm-scale/19929

There are several more resin kits from Cromwell Models in 1/72 (Mk.2, Mk.5 Burlington, Mk.10, Mk.11) available from Tracks & Troops, these should be very good models:

http://www.tracks-n-troops.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=lqnn8k522jt6plpqg713c0iva7&keyword=chieftain

If you've not dealt with T&T in the past, you can do so with confidence.....Don't panic at the P&P charge initially added to your order, it's just a placemarker.  Milan will charge the correct sum when he has the kits in his hands to weigh, this can take A LONG TIME (these are cottage industry kits, and can be very hard to source).....Thirteen months is the longest I've had to wait, but you aren't actually charged for the kits until they are packed and ready to go.  I have no connection to T&T BTW other than as a satisfied customer, if this is the sort of obscure kits you are after T&T are the most reliable source I know of.

it seems like 20mm scale, if it's based on head to toe height of 180 cm, is closer to 1/87 than 1/72. A 180 cm tall person would be ~25mm in 1/72 scale. 

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I have this and it is absolutely stunning! 

Think it is based on the Airfix hull but is a seriously nice model (plus Ian the owner is a top bloke!)

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Wee friends is in Edinburgh ....great shop

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED said:

Tiger Hobbies the UK distributor of Modelcollect have asked for this subject in 1/72 as it is an important UK tank that seems totally overlooked in 1/72

Hooray!!

Yes please!

• 2 weeks later...

How many post on this forum do I need to do to say we are the importers of Modelcollect, how many more adds in Magazines do we need to do saying we are the importers of Modelcollect.

All you have to do is google it.

I will say, it does not help that the main modellcollect site distributor page is not working.

The main folks who need to know than we import Modellcollect are our dealer network and they all know.

Also almost every time we have posted on this forum other than our page about modellcollect the mods have removed my posts, saying we are using it as adverts, that does not help either

Edited by TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED

@TIGER HOBBIESLIMITED No disrespect intended fella, but I've been buying a lot of Modelcollect kits recently and I didn't have a clue.

It would help a lot if your website had a dedicated section for 1/72 armour on the front page.....You are the main distributor for one of the current premier Braille brands, so making it just a bit more obvious on the site would be a good idea IMHO.

Don't suppose you have anything to do with Tiger Models, makers of the second sexiest, but by far the best equipped, Braille Abrams?  :shrug:

None Taken, got thick skin, as I stated only a small proportion of this forum reads my pages, and on more than one occasion the mods have deleted my posts on Modelcollect information, when I have seen folks taking about where to get the items.

We import Tiger Models and had good stocks of the Abrams until about a month ago, not sure when we will import again possible late summer.