Armstrong Whitworth Argosy, 1/144

My second entry in this group build will be the Micro Mir 1/144 Argosy. I have the Spitfire Vb, Super Etendard and Mi-10 to finish so this will take a back seat at first, but should get properly into it soon. Not yet decided which markings I'll use but the front runner is a 115 Sqn Argosy E.1.

Box shot:

1/144 Argosy

I've made a start. It looks like a nice little kit, but it's short run, there's a bit of flash, and the sprue remind me a lot of Amodel kits - are Micro Mir and Amodel related? You get fine surface detail, an interior, vinyl masks, a PE fret and a decal sheet with 5 marking options (don't have it in front of me but from memory they include C.1's in the light stone/dark earth and light aircraft grey/white schemes, a T.2 in the LAG/red/white scheme, the A&AEE Argosy, and an E.1).

Started with the windows. Another feature that reminds me of an Amodel kit - individual window pieces (the carpet monster's evil eyes light up at the mere mention of these tiny individual window pieces) which are too big for the apertures they go in. So each hole has to be opened up a bit to get the window in. I've done 6 so far, 13 to go!

1/144 Argosy

• Like 6

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Now there's an aircraft we don't often see here! Which scheme is 115Sqn camo of white over Gray?

It’ll be white over grey. Never been a big fan of the light stone/dark earth camo 

• Like 1

Quite a lot of progress on the Argosy today. Fuselage, booms, wing and outer engines all assembled. All went together ok, need a little filler which is on and I've left to dry overnight. I think there's going to be some modelling skills needed to bring it all together though - I test-fitted the wing to the fuselage and some fettling will definitely be required - so I hope I can find some modelling skills somewhere after the stuff-up with the Super Etendard!

Argosy WIP

• Like 7

After a fair bit of fettling the wing is on, with some filler on the joins. Had to remove a fair bit of plastic from the wing root fillets on the fuselage, and from the front and rear of the centre of the wing piece, to get it to fit, but I think I've got a pretty good fit and it shouldn't need too much work to blend it in. Tail booms next - careful work will be needed to get them to be symmetrical I think.

Argosy WIP

• Like 3

Cleaned up the wing/fuselage joins and added the cargo doors. Doors weren't a good fit and needed a bit of adjustment - I think this is going to be a pretty common theme in this build - also tried test-fitting one of the tail booms, which also needed a fair bit of fettling to get something approaching a good fit. It's reminding me quite a lot of every Amodel kit I've built, which is fine - I love this kind of modelling.

Argosy WIP

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

This is going to have to wait for the KUTA GB now since work and travel commitments are about to curtail my modelling until mid-July (off to Kuala Lumpur for a week tomorrow). The Spitfire obsession got the better of me - getting the 3 Spits plus this done turned out to be a stretch too far. I'll definitely come back to it when the KUTA GB comes around though - this one's not going to be on the shelf of doom for long.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Sorry to hear that this is going to have to wait Z, but, sometimes, real life takes priority :(

Your Spitfires do look good BTW

Thanks Robert. The real life taking priority this time should be a lot of fun - looking forward to all the travel, and I get to go to RIAT for the first time in 8 years - really looking forward to that, and no doubt I’ll come back with plenty of modelling inspiration!

• Like 1