Vickers Wellington - AIrfix 1/72 (NOT the new one)

My 1959 vintage Airfix Wellington is now complete. It was a bit of a struggle as one would expect with a moulding that dates from the year after I was born but the biggest let down was the behaviour of the much more modern after market decals. However, it's done and it's a bit different looking being in desert camouflage. The aircraft was operated by 424 Squadron Royal Canadian Air Force and was based in Tunisia. The logo on the nose says "The Terror of Axis Night Life". The crew counted each bombing missions with champagne glasses rather than bomb symbols.

qo8ntktP.jpg

FDsjTfBf.jpg

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 47

Very nice. Again that brings back memories of my dad making it in about 1975.

Did the real aircraft and crew survive?

Edited by Harry_the_Spider

Thank you. The aim was to try and give the model as good a finish as a I could. The only obvious "extras" I put into the build was the creation of "runners" for the cockpit side windows and the creation of a pair of mass balances for the rudder.

In some ways I PREFER these older kits to the latest and more modern products. They generally have a low parts count for a start so you can make faster progress in the construction phase. Yes, fit and filler may be part of the build process but once you are reconciled to that, they can be pretty enjoyable to build.

The one proviso I would state is that it is best to use as early a moulding as possible. Earlier mouldings tend to be crisper with better fit, relatively speaking, and little or no flash. The biggest weakness in the old Airfix Wellington is lack of internal detail in the turrets and the poor fit of the turrets.

• Like 1