'Jolly Rogers' F-4J Phantom (Revell 1:72)

wimbledon99

I now have my 'den' back so I thought I'd kick this one off. I still need to spend a lot of time with building work on the house but I'm hoping to squeeze in some hours on this wherever possible.

• Like 5

welcome aboard and another Phantom. :thumbsup:

She's a nice looking model and looks to be well detailed as well. I do like the new Revell (for me) instructions, they look to nice and care and easy to follow, unlike some from those who remain nameless!!

Good luck with the build, hopefully you'll be able to mange some modelling time around the building work, look forward to seeing her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Rich :happy:

I've been itching to get this underway as I was partly through a 1/48 version last year when disaster struck with the decals and I had to abandon the project. However, I'm already wondering whether I should have gone for the Academy kit with its single piece fuselage but I'll crack on and see where the Revell kit leads :fingerscrossed:

As planned, I've managed to wrap the cockpit :smile:

40658675764_94bf5fbd55_k.jpg

When prepping the canopy, I noticed a crack in the top :sad:

40658682554_c8531b420e_k.jpg

I'm hoping the 'Klear' treatment does the trick :fingerscrossed:

Time will tell :waiting:

• Sad 1

you've made some nice progress on this and the cockpit does look nicely done as well. 

It's a shame about the canopy hopefully the Clear with help hid it, I don't think it'll completely disappear but it should reduce its noticeability. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, trickyrich said:

you've made some nice progress on this and the cockpit does look nicely done as well. 

It's a shame about the canopy hopefully the Clear with help hid it, I don't think it'll completely disappear but it should reduce its noticeability. 

Hi Rich, Had a look at the canopy tonight and the Klear has almost emphasised the crack. Hey ho, que sera :facepalm:

2 hours ago, Threadbear said:

Looks like the old Monogram 1/72 scale kit.....good work so far. 

Thanks Threadbear. Not sure if I'm honest but it's not a bad kit either way :smile:

6 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

in that case it may be better to strip the Klear off.

Just need to be careful how I take the final photos. Once it’s hanging from my nephew’s ceiling, it won’t be seen :wink: 

• Like 1

Hi Nigel. Sorry I'm a bit late to the party! Not been really following the Carriers GB. Great job so far - the cockpit looked impressive. Shame about the canopy but it will only really be you notices the fault. Looking forward to seeing the completed project! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2018 at 3:06 PM, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Sorry I'm a bit late to the party! Not been really following the Carriers GB. Great job so far - the cockpit looked impressive. Shame about the canopy but it will only really be you notices the fault. Looking forward to seeing the completed project! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

On 5/13/2018 at 8:35 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi

We hadn't heard from you for while, I hope things are going well.

Have you had a chance to make any more progress ?

cheers Pat

Hi Gents,

Apologies for my absence. Between the ongoing building work at home and plain old work, I've just had no time to enjoy the better things. Hoping to get moving on this again in a couple of weeks if all goes to plan.

Cheers

Nigel

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2018 at 7:15 AM, Jabba said:

Very good work with the cockpit and you build so far. Pity about the canopy, but as you say it will be hanging from the ceiling so it will not be noticed so much.

Thank you Jabba and apologies for a very late reply. I'm back into this much later than anticipated but I'm going to see what I can do in the time left. Here she is primed, ready for some colour. I've already painted the tailplane :smile:

42364909794_ebe8ef8ee2_k.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/8/2018 at 12:07 AM, trickyrich said:

she's looking very tidy with some colours on her.

Thank you Rich :smile:

Here's the rest of the colour. She's now ready for gloss and decals!

43268892032_4f9eb7e212_k.jpg

43268892502_1f98479ea9_k.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jabba said:

Looking very good.

Thank you Jabba  :smile:

Given the amount of time I've ended up having to build this, I'm quite pleased with the outcome  :happy: