Takom Panther and some others

having more than one on the go definately seems to stop me getting bored, even if theyre all panthers.

so ive put down afew rust tones on the exhausts - lifecolor paints brush really nicely.

Q2qpdSY.jpg

then a couple of coats of hairspray and then.....

3Jribpt.jpg

then getting carried away abit i put the shoes and socks on.

RbCsGZ7.jpg

bVklUo4.jpg

rOk8Fbq.jpg

tools down for today i think

• Like 10

Wheels looks indeed very good. But I hope you get some bare metal on the tracks as well? 

And please do not scratch it to much turning it into wreckage. 

very accidental...

brown is planned. Im trying to figured out if i want to brush paint or spray. Dont fancy the masking needed for hard edge and i dont really want to get involved with putty masks etc. As i understand it the camo on these things was brush painted late war anyway. As always though im prepared to be schooled on that.

not a massive amount completed over the last few days and it turns out that ive got quite a conservative attitude towards chipping. I figure, at least on this build, that this tank would be virtually showroom fresh at the point of abandonment, so juat a bit of attention to the fenders and exhaust as planned. First time out with this hairspray thing and i think ive decided to go to town with this on a piv build thats on the cards.

IfMbs9F.jpg

WEBI8EK.jpg

r12e2Hq.jpg

camo is still on the cards, but i think thats a brush job. Ive tried masking twice on this one and havent been able to spray without getting it too thick, i also dont really want to try masking over al the fiddlies - both practice need practice. Either way, the green is a bit fragile so perhaps a coat of clear first.

1qRj6M4.jpg

have to admit, this builds growing on me.

• Like 9

Before you go with brush try heavy dilute the paint - even 1-10. Spray on really low pressure, just around 1 bar. That can be possible to get a nice layer of paint. 

• 10 months later...

Well, back from the world of wood dust and hide glue for a little nostalgia. I simply dont know where the last few months have gone and everytime i sit down the panther looks at me reproachfully. Turns out i hated sprayed camo so i broke out the brushes after respraying the venerable old can back to green all over. This time i quite happy with the result. famous last words

JIKpETz.jpg

shmQIYU.jpg

its a bit of a shame to have lost the slight translucency of the first coat, but i guess most of that would be lost with weathering.

• Like 3

• 3 years later...

This seems to be a new record for me. Two years in and for some reason I decided to get the Panther interior kit out of its box of shame and have decided what the plan of attack is to show at least some of the detail.

First was to get the hull to a point where it could be closed up. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The ammo bins came out and I lost the shells. 

spacer.png

Half went back in, half are going to be placed on the deck as if its being stripped for a refit of some sort. 

This is where I hope to end up

spacer.png

Heavily taking notes from the series of pictures of panthers in the mud at grafenwohr (I think).

Thanks for looking in and see you in 2024 for the next update.

Edited by the other matt
  • Like 7

This question does not pertain to this build but it is something that is relevant to the build in general which I have thought about with full interior kits, "what did they use for illumination inside the tanks when fully closed up for battle" I have not found anything in any literature or ever mentioned in kit build instructions, ok the fighting compartments are whit in sections but still it would of been very dark in them with it all closed up?

Great build by the way.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I'm glad this one is finally getting moving again. It'll be good to break down the box and get rid. 

Re lighting, I was actually wondering the same when dry fitting the turret pieces. Tis quite dark in there. I think I remember reading some anecdote from the battle of the Bulge about being able to identify friend or foe by the colour of the tank's internal lights. Don't know if that was just referring to instrument illumination or what. No doubt this will be another rabbit hole to dive down 😄.

At this point I'm calling the interior done. Actually looking forward to getting some zim on it. 

The mantlet has found the turret. 

spacer.png

Rough pin wash and be done. 

Dragons new release - PanzerKampfwagen Churchill mit Panther turm. 

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well Covid finally caught up with me this week. Not one of the most pleasant weeks so I decided to get the wheels trimmed and painted. A mindless job for a mind wrapped in fog. 

spacer.png

Definitely a love hate relationship with German tanks based solely on interlocking road wheels. Guessing that their combat engineers shared similar sentiments.

I also got some paint on the hatch plate. 

spacer.png

The oxide rectangle shows on the references I have an would have been from the radio harness. Suggests it was painted in situ on the real tanks I guess. 

The main tool bracket holders have been put on to act for a guild for the zimmerit. I dont have the proverbial nearly enough together to do that right now though. 

Todays question may well be turret on, or turret off.

I've also been a bit distracted by this.

spacer.png

Lovetone Doppelganger work a like by aion fx. Makes your notes go whoo whoo whoo whoo. Nice pedal if you're into that. I'm wondering if I can justify keeping a vibe and this on the board - I mean the answer is yes of course but I'm going to pretend to give it some serious thought. 

• Like 3

There are things to like about this kit but also many not to like. Tracks being one of them. In hindsight I think this may have been one of the reasons this has stayed in the box for a few years.

Exhibit a) separate guide. 

spacer.png

I think I understand why, but with each one needing a dab of glue and then reapplication once theyve all been knocked off when detaching from the spruce, it gets a little old. Its a good job there are a few links spare, because the number of guide horns I sent pinging into oblivion was a bit frustrating. Prob a good bit of user error here, but still,

Exhibit b) track jig

spacer.png

Again, user error contributing here, but there are nubs to guide the length sections of the tracks. Couldnt get them to fit. Think this would require fastidious clean up and surgical construction of the links to get them to sit right. Nope. not investing that amount of time. Im 45. I'm at least halfway through. There's not enough time in the world for this. Do yourself a favour and if you have one of these and cut the guide nubs off. Even when you do that you'll have an interesting time trying to get a convincing sag. Also not fussed on how the track sits perfectly flat over the top of the road wheels. ho hum.

I've got one side done. Heads down for the second (once the glue on the reapplied guide horns has cured).

• Like 6