Do 217N-2 3c+IP at Dubendorf

mike romeo

Hi folks,

I'm currently converting an Italeri N-1 into the N-2 that landed by mistake in Switzerland.

I have done some internet searching to try to pin down its original Lufty colour scheme but haven't come up with anything definitive on colours; this aircraft is mentioned on the ipms stockholm site, but the embedded links are broken.  

I have also seen a profile purporting to be of this aircraft in Warpaint 24 p.33.  It implies a 74 /75 /76 colour scheme, so that's what I've gone with, right or wrong.  However, the profile also shows a black engine cowling on the starboard side with a 76 wing underside.  Is there any evidence for this? 

Apologies if the information is easy to find and I have missed it.

Regards

Martin

Ok, so I checked again and I found a picture showing the aircraft in Swiss markings.  The website was in German, which was what discouraged me from investigating it earlier. 

It "may" have one black engine cowling, but it looks like it may have a scribble scheme.  Hey ho!

Die Do 217 trug den Standardanstrich, bestehend aus zwei Grautönen auf den Oberseiten mit weissgrauen Unterseiten.

http://warbird.ch/wb-events/der-erste-nachtjaeger/

Translation:

The Do 217 wore the standard paint, consisting of two shades of gray on the upper sides with white-gray undersides.

Means 74/75 above and 76 below ...

On this photo it does indeed look like the undersides of the engine nacelle is of a darker colour:

d037_0001.jpg

But on other photos not so I think it is an illusion from the shadows and reflections from the ground