Mainly28's (hopefully) endless 1/48th tribute to Hans-Werner Lerche (with the odd digression)

So I've finally decided to bite the bullet and post a WIP here. I've challenged a friend's son to a model build (we have a month), and I've decided to incorporate this aeroplane into my ongoing (so far not published) build.

A while back (OK, a few years ago), I read a book by Hans-Werner Lerche (1914-1994). He was a Luftwaffe Test Pilot during WW2, and flew over 125 different aircraft types, including evaluation flights of many allied aircraft, most of them after only visual examinations of the aeroplane (so no training or handbooks!). He was the principal pilot of the Luftwaffe test site at Mecklenburg Rechlin 1945.

yvnIp9F.jpg

In his book he describes his career, and lists the aircraft he flew, quite a few with enough detail to be able to depict a reasonable model. I have spent the last few years putting together as much detail as I can, and purchasing as many of the aircraft as I can in 1/48th scale. I plan to use this thread to document the builds. Rivet-counters- please close this thread now, as I don't plan to do perfect- near enough is good enough for me, especially after having had a minor stroke 9 years ago, three shoulder surgeries in the last two years, and an ulnar nerve surgery last year. My eye-hand co-ordination is not close too what it should be, but I'm doing this as therapy. I should also add that I'm old-school- brush only.

So, to kick this off, here is the start of my 1st documented build in this long-term project- a 1/48th Henschel Hs 123 A-1. Unfortunately there is not much beyond the fact that he flew the Hs 123 in the book, and I have not been able to firmly identify a colour scheme, so I will be going with a generic 70/71/65 machine as per the instructions.

7NEEjlj.jpg

The box cover for the 1/48th Henschel Hs-123 A-1- I picked it up at a reasonable price not long ago.

n37h2Fc.jpg

The sprues of the 1/48th Henschel Hs-123 A-1.

• Like 8

Good luck mate! Shockingly enough I know little or nothing about this Hans-Werner  bloke, so if one of your objectives is to educate the ignorant you have already had a small win. 👍

• Like 2

It looks very interesting to me too, a good occasion to extend our aviation culture, while we play with plastic bits. I'm sure this project will be real fun for you and for us watching!

And quite an unusual build! Good choice!:yes:

I'll be watching you!!!:drunk:

So a little more background- the Henschel Hs 123 was an interim dive bomber, used as a stop-gap measure before the Junkers Ju 87 Stuka was introduced. It was used in the Spanish Civil War, mainly as close support rather than as a dive-bomber, and continued to be used until mid-1944 on the Eastern Front, where its ease of maintenance and ruggedness was very handy on the rough fields used by the pilots. It was roughly equivalent to the Aichi D1A, Curtiss SBC, Hawker Hart and Polikarpov R-5.

eWD07Ci.jpg

Last night and today's progress consists of getting the cockpit done, assembling the engine (it still needs a little paint), and adding the lower wings to the fuselage. I will be puttying the seams tonight, and hopefully doing some sanding and more assembly tomorrow.

As an aside, I'm using this kit as a mojo-builder. After a second confirmed TIA a month ago, and being told that I have suffered damage to my heart as a result of a mild heart attack at some point recently, I've been a little down and anxious, so this is a little therapy. It also means that I don't plan to go as full-on as some of the highly talented chaps here- I know my limits.

5 hours ago, massimo said:

It looks very interesting to me too, a good occasion to extend our aviation culture, while we play with plastic bits. I'm sure this project will be real fun for you and for us watching!

And quite an unusual build! Good choice!:yes:

I'll be watching you!!!:drunk:

To be honest, I'd considered building in the order the aircraft appear in the book, but I can't face doing a Lancaster at the moment (a little too big and complicated), and when the little challenge with my friend's son came up, I grabbed one of my kits near the top of the pile. The Henschel has always been a fairly attractive plane in my eyes, and as it has no external rigging, it seemed like a good pick.

The kit itself, although old, is not bad. I've had reasonably small amounts of flash, and the fit is not bad, so it's sort of falling together quite easily- perfect for my current skill level!

• Like 5

Sorry to hear about the TIA. Modelling is good therapy so just relax, take your time and build the model the way you want to but most of all enjoy it.

Martian

• Like 1

Not a huge update today- I've added the landing gear, puttied the joins and assembled the engine cowl.

pmClksG.jpg

efSYqpA.jpg

As an aside, I have received a few in-progress pictures from the youngster that I have my little challenge with. I'd given him an 1/48th ICM P-51K, and he seems to be enjoying it.  He has already completed assembly of all the major bits. I think I may have added new blood to the hobby!

• Like 2

I’ll start by saying great build this is one of my favorite WW2 Bi-planes. 

2 hours ago, Mainly28s said:

I think I may have added new blood to the hobby!

All the better if we can encourage young builders to enjoy this hobby.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Nice ittle aircraft!!!

It reminds me the family of aircraft Fiat CR 42 and Gloster Gladiator belong.

I love those bulges on the engine covers!!!

Not bad that old Esci kit!!!

You're getting on well!!!:yes:

No progress this weekend, as I've been doing 1:1 modelling on our new house (we only moved in 5 weeks ago), and my fingers are just not up to fine work. Monday, perhaps!

• Mainly28s changed the title to Mainly28's (hopefully) endless 1/48th tribute to Hans-Werner Lerche (with the odd digression)
  • 4 years later...

Hello to all, I'm just reading this really interesting book then happened upon this thread (god bless Google for knowing everything about us......)

I've not read to the end of either the book or the thread, but it sounds like a really good idea for a themed build program. 

Reading the book I was struck by the sometimes perilous scrapes herr Lerche got into (flying a Lancaster over a Luftwaffe night fighter base in the dark with a dead radio for example) and the humorous way he recounts it all. Superb. Good luck with any future build progress.