440 squadron typhoon marking late '44

Lawzer

Hi folks,

i'm about to apply the "half" invasion stripes to the lower fuselage of pulverizer ii, mp149 but i have a question...

on the aviaeolgy sheet (in b/w) i'm sure the sky band is painted white in line with the rest of the invasion stripes.  I've found a few great builds on here that show the sky band complete but have also seen some profiles which show it painted over in white.

it's REALLY not like me to be so accurate but i've put a lot of effort into this and want to get it right.

also someone had a tip for applying the yellow leading edge markings using rizlas but for the life of me can't find it 😳

Tia!

ian

On many RAF aircraft with invasion stripes the fifth stripe was made up of the Sky tailband, without the tailband being repainted white as far as I know. It was just a way to reduce the required labour associated with the invasion stripes. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Boman said:

On many RAF aircraft with invasion stripes the fifth stripe was made up of the Sky tailband, without the tailband being repainted white as far as I know. It was just a way to reduce the required labour associated with the invasion stripes. 

Not sure about that. Many drawings and models of e.g. Spitfire PV181/RAB depicts the stripes like you describe. But if you study photos of the actual aircraft, the the fifth (white) stripe is indeed there. Just not very visible against the Sky background, and often missed. The same goes for a lot of other aircraft.

Nils

• Like 1

I think you can rest assured that our friend Terry Higgins at Aviaeology has done his research very well. Normally there is a profile on the sheet with copious notes supported by photos and these can be counted on as correct.

Andy

• Like 2

Hi all,

IMHO, another reason for using the sky band as the invasion stripe might be that the Typhoon with the large tail plane is a tight squeeze to get the full set of stripes and the sky band as well. You start to run afoul of the wing trailing edge.

Tony

• Like 1

Reading through the instructions for MP149 it states that, "Both MP149 profile illustrations are based on existing photographs....." Having said that the profiles show it with a sky band starting below the serial number. Terry does quite exhaustive research with extant photographs.

On page 2 of the instructions it is also mentioned that the sky fuselage bands "were often renewed as well" when the camouflage colours were renewed. Is it possible that what is seen in the one photo is a freshly-painted sky band? The sun is also overhead, too.

I don't know the  answer or whether your choice to paint the band white is right or wrong. I'm just looking at the available information and trying to decide as well. Maybe Terry will see this post and chime in.

Edited by TBC
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Hi all,

IMHO, another reason for using the sky band as the invasion stripe might be that the Typhoon with the large tail plane is a tight squeeze to get the full set of stripes and the sky band as well. You start to run afoul of the wing trailing edge.

Tony

Liberties were clearly taken when applying AEAF stripes. On Typhoons, full invasion stripes could be found with the sky band partially painted over or butted up to the sky band with it untouched.

• Like 1

I’m ex-440 Squadron (modern day) and I used to constantly view our wartime photo albums paying particular attention to Harry Hardy’s aircraft, having had the privledge meeting him on several occasions (last I heard he is still with us).

I feel the stripe is sky, I agree the images you are looking at look bleached out, but the wartime images in these albums show more contrast. I also don’t see a reason to have overpainted it white.

Terry and Mark Proulx came to the same conclusion on their on in the Aviaeology sheet. I know Mark well, he is a top rate researcher.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TBC said:

Liberties were clearly taken when applying AEAF stripes. On Typhoons, full invasion stripes could be found with the sky band partially painted over or butted up to the sky band with it untouched.

I did the hasegawa typhoon last year and it certainly looks like half the sky band all the way round was painted over in white (full stripes).

i have painted this kit (monogram) with the lower part of the sky band white but on comparing the 2 the same size of tailplanes....

anyway, i'm not going to gloss coat as i feel the consenus is leaning towards the full sky band?

i was actually going by the Aviaeology sheet as it (to me) seemed to show a difference in colour.

anyway, it might be a moot point accuracy wise as i think i may have left the landing light on the wrong side :(

Using the photos in a book on RCAF Typhoon ops (Typhoon and Tempest; the Canadian Story by Hugh Halliday), two things jump out.  One is the painting on the dust cover, depicting  a 440 Sqn. Tiffie (I8*R, s/n PD589) with partial invasion strips on the lower fuselage, with the top of the stripes running immediately below the squadron codes & s/n.  I never noticed it before this thread, but the (full width) lower portion of the Sky band is  overpainted in white, the top aligned with the partial invasion stripes.  And a photo of another 440 Sqn. Tiffie (Pg.76) being recovered (I8*T, full s/n obscured) again shows partial fuselage invasion stripes  with the Sky band treated in a similar fashion as described for. I8*R.   In fact, the white stripe is marginally wider than the tail band and that's what appears to give it away, considering it's a B&W photo.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 20:13, Lawzer said:

also someone had a tip for applying the yellow leading edge markings using rizlas but for the life of me can't find it 😳

Tia!

ian

Hi Ian,

That is somewhere in my 1/72 Spitfire build - from stewdapple I think...

...but it is about using fag papers to make red paper gun port covers - instead of using decals.  I doubt it would be any good for your frontal yellow stripes - I think you are going to have to paint them on - but remember - paint a bit of the 'under colour' up against the masking before commencing with the yellow.  Yellow is such a nasty colour to paint - so flippin thin - go easy - try 3 or 4 VERY light coats - rather than one very thick one - says he who is a beggar for that kind of trick... :blush:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hi Ian,

That is somewhere in my 1/72 Spitfire build - from stewdapple I think...

...but it is about using fag papers to make red paper gun port covers - instead of using decals.  I doubt it would be any good for your frontal yellow stripes - I think you are going to have to paint them on - but remember - paint a bit of the 'under colour' up against the masking before commencing with the yellow.  Yellow is such a nasty colour to paint - so flippin thin - go easy - try 3 or 4 VERY light coats - rather than one very thick one - says he who is a beggar for that kind of trick... :blush:

I've heard pink is a good under colour....

• Haha 1