SOAF strikemaster battle of mirbat 1972.

beppe

26 minutes ago, canberra kid said:

Some photos that may help

pTAgqQ.jpg

pTA5Hs.jpg

pTAcI2.jpgJohn

It looks like the one in the first pic has just one bangseat in it?

If that is the case that is interesting enough for a build to incorporate.....

Great pics..

Cheers, Jan

indeed it is, or it's masked by the pilot.

Quite an interresting configuration with minigun pods, i thought the main weapons were GP Bombs and rockets.

Cheers, Joseph

There's an article by Michael J Gething on the SOAF in the 1978 Airfix Annual For Aircraft Modellers.  It uses canberra kid's first photo plus another of the same aircraft.  He says in his modelling notes: "... the Strikemasters were usually flown from the left-hand seat with the right-hand ejection seat removed.  A typical weapon load would be a 500lb bomb on the outer wing pylon with two banks of SURA rockets (lifted from the Matchbox kit) on the inner two wing stations.  Four banks of SURA rockets is the maximum load under each, which could get expensive in Matchbox Strikemasters but it is possible to cut down the air-to-ground projectiles from the Airfix Hunter F.6 into passable substitutes."

As far as I know, the Matchbox Strikemaster kit is still the only 1/72 kit to include SURA rocket banks.  

What's the origin of the 500 lb bombs?  They (and their representation in the Airfix Strikemaster/JP5 kit) don't look very British.  French?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

There's an article by Michael J Gething on the SOAF in the 1978 Airfix Annual For Aircraft Modellers.  It uses canberra kid's first photo plus another of the same aircraft.  He says in his modelling notes: "... the Strikemasters were usually flown from the left-hand seat with the right-hand ejection seat removed.  A typical weapon load would be a 500lb bomb on the outer wing pylon with two banks of SURA rockets (lifted from the Matchbox kit) on the inner two wing stations.  Four banks of SURA rockets is the maximum load under each, which could get expensive in Matchbox Strikemasters but it is possible to cut down the air-to-ground projectiles from the Airfix Hunter F.6 into passable substitutes."

As far as I know, the Matchbox Strikemaster kit is still the only 1/72 kit to include SURA rocket banks.  

What's the origin of the 500 lb bombs?  They (and their representation in the Airfix Strikemaster/JP5 kit) don't look very British.  French?

The Bombs in the picture are British 540lb bombs.

Selwyn

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beppe said:

Can anyone help me with the camouflage of the strikemaster ?

Hi Joseph - Do you have Rowland White's account ?- it has a number of colour photos of Strikemasters from that time.

resized_de8c8069-6bf8-4d12-965c-a6af754c

Pinback

• Like 3

Hi there

Well indeed very old kits in my case the first I remember is the Matchbox

Image result for Strikemaster Airfix Matchbox 1/72 Image result for Strikemaster Airfix Matchbox 1/72

Then goes the Airfix

Image result for Strikemaster Airfix  1/72

I just found the first one started but never finished but now after get all parts accounted intended to be finish but as Ecuatorian AF, tomorrow I'll be on the athic looking for the Airfix

Best modeling 

Armando

PS It look that those squadron can be use in the Oman AF Jaguar

• Thanks 1

Hello!

I bought the "Storm Front" based on recommendation IIRC on this forum while in UK with family some years ago. Found it only when at airpoirt (Gatwick) on return trip. Read it through immediately - during the return flight too - and it inspired a model build. It is on "stable condition" now for some years. But advanced enought to ask a quesion:

Is there 1/72 decals available for the Omani Strikemasters for the Mirbat period?

I do not have the old Airfix box and seems it does not have the small (day-glo?) orange numbers seen on fin and nose. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,

Kari

14 hours ago, Kari Lumppio said:

Hello!

I bought the "Storm Front" based on recommendation IIRC on this forum while in UK with family some years ago. Found it only when at airpoirt (Gatwick) on return trip. Read it through immediately - during the return flight too - and it inspired a model build. It is on "stable condition" now for some years. But advanced enought to ask a quesion:

Is there 1/72 decals available for the Omani Strikemasters for the Mirbat period?

I do not have the old Airfix box and seems it does not have the small (day-glo?) orange numbers seen on fin and nose. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers,

Kari

Kari, the Airfix kit refered to above & the Xtradecal sheet have markings for an approximately similar time, maybe adaptable for the Mirbat conflict if you can find a reference to the exact appearance of them at that time.

Steve. 

The Xtradecal sheet that Steve refers too should (IMO) provide what you need. There’s two SOAF Strikemasters on this sheet one from the 1973 Paris Airshow and another from 1975. Overall markings on these jets were fairly minimal so I’m sure you’ll find what you need on this sheet. 

Does anyone know what particular Strikemaster serials actually took part in this action? 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Does anyone know what particular Strikemaster serials actually took part in this action? 

If it's not in White's Storm Front, ISTR a couple of articles in the aviation press appearing quite closely together, possibly around the 40th anniversary of the battle, though it doesn't feel as long ago as 2012.  Suspect one was in Flypast.  May have been extracts from White's book anyway. 

Ok thanks. I’ll try to get a copy of Storm Front when my enthusiasm peaks in these aircraft again (could be soon now I’ve found this thead!). I’ll also do a google search to see what’s there, although I don’t recall seeing too much when looking a while back. 

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1

6 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I'm guessing SOAF is Sultan of Oman's Air Force?

That's right:) The intake guns would have been 7.62mm machine guns

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I'm guessing SOAF is Sultan of Oman's Air Force?

Guns mounted beneath the intakes? An interesting choice! 

The Gun mountings under the intakes was a standard fit on all strikemasters.

Just as an aside,   the Sultan of Oman's Air Force (SOAF) no longer exists, it has now been renamed as the Royal Air Force Of Oman (RAFO).

Selwyn

• Thanks 1

On 08/04/2018 at 2:50 AM, Pinback said:

Hi Joseph - Do you have Rowland White's account ?- it has a number of colour photos of Strikemasters from that time.

resized_de8c8069-6bf8-4d12-965c-a6af754c

Pinback

Hi,

I have it mine is a paperback version, and it's in black and white, but the pictures are interesting.