Arii 1/48 Ki-44 Shoki "Tojo" figher

Hot on the heels of my Tamiya Raiden, is my 1/48 Tojo from Arii. A simple kit that provided the opportunity to do a natural metal finish and painted markings. The kit decals were unusable, so masks and and some home made decals were the order of the day. It was a fun build. I love the bulky engine, forward angled wings and tiny tail coupled with bright markings on shiny aluminium paint.  

33141998-aadf-4827-9164-4bbf49b33fc3.JPG

074680ad-2e77-41a0-826e-efa89802c59d.JPG

8c16d810-847f-4329-9b16-529a0c75925a.JPG

4c0afe05-73dc-43ae-ba25-59ead808f94a.JPG

• Like 35

It is a fascinating design to be sure. Your natural metal finish is very realistic!  What did you use? Also, I think your wash is just right! I have to say I've never made decals and have limited experience with masking for national markings, etc. so I'm very impressed that you were able to do both to good effect!

Makes me want to dig into my 1/72 Hasegawa Tojo... ;)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, opus999 said:

It is a fascinating design to be sure. Your natural metal finish is very realistic!  What did you use? Also, I think your wash is just right! I have to say I've never made decals and have limited experience with masking for national markings, etc. so I'm very impressed that you were able to do both to good effect!

Makes me want to dig into my 1/72 Hasegawa Tojo... ;)

Hi opus999. I used Alclad's black primer as a base, followed by Polished aluminium. It looked very toy like at that stage. I then coated it in Future to mask up the markings and decals. Anothe coat of Future to seal it all in and then a wash of Tamiya's black panel line wash. Once this was cleaned up, it left a little streaking and some lifted out of the rivets etc, to leave a noticeable, yet faint effect. I would love to do a 1/72 version, I think it would look great. I also have a 1/32 version to do at some point. 

• Like 1

Just now, pipthepilot said:

Very nicely made. The painting is very nice, the aluminium looks really realistic. Which paint did you use for the metal?

Thanks for your comments, see the post above to answer your question. 

• Thanks 1