1/72nd Airfix, Mitchell Mk.II, 98 Sqn, RAF Dunsfold, 1944.

17 minutes ago, Ian said:

Nice build Tony, had a feeling somebody here would do an RAF one very quickly !!. Still waiting for Eduard to release a set of kit-specific masks before I attempt mine.

Ian.

Out already: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDCX507

Photo etch sets available too.

I think this is my favourite so far in your vast collection, just love how you’ve nailed that stripes mate, never seen them done this well. Thanks for the tip about using pencils and watercolour :)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Tony

Just wanted to say what an incredible weathering job on those stripes! The fading/wear is perfect, how long did it take?

I'd also like to ask a question about this and your photo B-25. I see in this build you've left off the fairings over the (intercooler?) exits on the top of the starboard wing while the other does have them and I wondered if you knew if there was any 'rule' about when these were or were not present?

At first I wondered whether it was to do with whether or not the aircraft had the smooth cowlings as opposed to the Clayton(?) type exhausts - Airfix show the fairings fitted to both their kit options and both have the Clayton exhausts but a few pics (and indeed your model) show this isn't the case.

My problem isn't helped by the fact that 95% of RAF Mitchell pics seem to be taken from the port side, and most of the remainder below the wing! 😂 From the few photos I've found online the only 'pattern' (from about 4 pics!) is that aircraft without the fairings are in Invasion stripes . . .

I'm hoping to build one of the options on the DK Decals sheet, and it wsn't until after I drilled the holes for the fairings I suddenly wondered why the holes were flashed over - obviously optional for different airframes.

If you (or anyone else that reads this! :-)) has any guidance as to which aircraft had these, and indeed their purpose, it'd be very gratefully received. If it turns out that photos are the only guide I'll just have to toss a coin (though as the holes are now drilled it'd probably be 'on' Lol!)

Many thanks, looking forward to your next B-25!

Best wishes

Jim

4 hours ago, Jimbo said:

Hi Tony

Just wanted to say what an incredible weathering job on those stripes! The fading/wear is perfect, how long did it take?

I'd also like to ask a question about this and your photo B-25. I see in this build you've left off the fairings over the (intercooler?) exits on the top of the starboard wing while the other does have them and I wondered if you knew if there was any 'rule' about when these were or were not present?

At first I wondered whether it was to do with whether or not the aircraft had the smooth cowlings as opposed to the Clayton(?) type exhausts - Airfix show the fairings fitted to both their kit options and both have the Clayton exhausts but a few pics (and indeed your model) show this isn't the case.

My problem isn't helped by the fact that 95% of RAF Mitchell pics seem to be taken from the port side, and most of the remainder below the wing! 😂 From the few photos I've found online the only 'pattern' (from about 4 pics!) is that aircraft without the fairings are in Invasion stripes . . .

I'm hoping to build one of the options on the DK Decals sheet, and it wsn't until after I drilled the holes for the fairings I suddenly wondered why the holes were flashed over - obviously optional for different airframes.

If you (or anyone else that reads this! :-)) has any guidance as to which aircraft had these, and indeed their purpose, it'd be very gratefully received. If it turns out that photos are the only guide I'll just have to toss a coin (though as the holes are now drilled it'd probably be 'on' Lol!)

Many thanks, looking forward to your next B-25!

Best wishes

Jim

Cheers Jim,..... the stripes took a couple of days,..... roughly about 4 hours and the `scrubbed out' areas were done using pencil crayon for the white with weak watercolour for the black. The pencil crayon was left overnight and them carefully rubbed away in areas using my finger. 

As for the fairings on the wings,..... I just used lots of reference photos,.... and I don`t recall seeing many,... if any,.... RAF Mitchell`s in the UK fitted with them,.... whereas the PR Mutchell`s used in SEAC did have them. My feeling is that it was only seen on earlyish aircraft,..... but don`t quote me on that! 

You can easily fill in the holes in the wings,.... just stick a piece of plastic through the holes, glue it in place and when dry cut and sand it smooth, maybe needing a wipe over with filler.

Sorry I couldn`t fully answer your query,

Cheers

Tony  

Tony,

The postman just called- wants to know where to deliver the case of Airfix B-25C/D kits you ordered! Ha! Seriously, this one is the bee's knees! I can't offer any superlatives that haven't already been posted, except maybe to say that you're getting to be as prolific and skilled as Fuad! The scrubbed invasion stripes put this one over the top, and is by far the best I have seen. You are da' man!

Mike

• Haha 1

Hi again Tony

Thanks for the info on how you did the stripes - I might have to give it a go. A lot of people have a 'paint mule' for test painting, think I'll use a stripes mule!

Cheers too for your thoughts on the fairings. Your mentioning possibly the age of the aircraft may have something. The two pics I've found online that show them are on VERY mucky aircraft, whereas those without look (relatively) clean. More investigation looms 😃 As you say I can easily fill my drilled holes towards the end of the build if I need to.

Cheers again

Best wishes

Jim

• Like 1