1/72nd Airfix, Mitchell Mk.II, 98 Sqn, RAF Dunsfold, 1944.

The white stripes painted over with O.D. (or with the white paint "removed", according to post D-day directives) are especially interesting. An effect not frequently seen on kits. Of course, there are many other very very good things in this montage/painting, just look at the photos. A super model (no machine gun in the nose? ^_^).

Edited by Convair
  • Like 1

I can only echo what the guys before have said, the finishing and weathering is superb. The worn invasion stripes and the under nacelle weathering really bring the Mitchell to life.

More to come?........I can't wait.

Thanks for sharing the photos with us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Convair said:

The white stripes painted over with O.D. (or with the white paint "removed", according to post D-day directives) are especially interesting. An effect not frequently seen on kits. Of course, there are many other very very good things in this montage/painting, just look at the photos. A super model (no machine gun in the nose? ^_^).

The D-Day stripes were scrubbed away to improve the camouflage from above but some, like this aircraft still had quite a lot of chalking and staining left visible. As for the nose gun,.... after D-Day the RAF/ Dutch Navy units tended to stow the gun on the right hand side of the nose position and only fit it into place if needed, so that is what I`ve done here.

Glad you liked the model,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 1

I love both your research and your models.  Your perceptive and observant commentaries show that you see what is actually there rather what you think ought to be there (as I tend to).  The modelling is, as ever, superb (I'm loving those Liberators as well).  The finish is as excellent as usual but I especially love those semi-effaced invasion stripes.  Please don't tell me you're still producing these marvels from a tea tray on your lap!

I have been rather put off this kit by @general melchett's review in Airfix Modelworld where he said (IIRC) one half of the rear fuselage was 1.5mm deeper than the other, leading to a risk of the tailplane being fitted awry.  Did you experience any similar problems?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

I love both your research and your models.  Your perceptive and observant commentaries show that you see what is actually there rather what you think ought to be there (as I tend to).  The modelling is, as ever, superb (I'm loving those Liberators as well).  The finish is as excellent as usual but I especially love those semi-effaced invasion stripes.  Please don't tell me you're still producing these marvels from a tea tray on your lap!

I have been rather put off this kit by @general melchett's review in Airfix Modelworld where he said (IIRC) one half of the rear fuselage was 1.5mm deeper than the other, leading to a risk of the tailplane being fitted awry.  Did you experience any similar problems?

Yup,.... still modelling from my tea tray,.......here is the Mitchell having its invasion stripes worked on!

40402973095_7598a8d019_k.jpgDSCF2816 by Tony OToole, on Flickr

So glad that you like this one and the Liberator`s,..... re the mis matched fuselage halves,..... no mine were fine,...... no problems at all. The panel lines along the side of the furward fuselage are a little deep and could do with filling,..... but that is easy enough and I really rate this kit,..... so much that I am already building another and have more planned! Melchie was building a pre production kit and it looks as if they have sorted the problem out. 

I cockped up by putting the `A' on the right hand side of the nose slightly too far back,.... but that`s like eh! I just wish that I had looked more closely at the ref photo and not just lined it up with the other side,..... probably rushing as the missus had dropped a low baller on me just as I was in the middle of decalling!

Cheers

Tony 

Great job Tony, nice to see you build this as a Mk II, I'll certainly be building one or two for our Bomber Command SIG.

re the mis matched fuselage halves,..... no mine were fine,...... no problems at all. The panel lines along the side of the furward fuselage are a little deep and could do with filling,..... but that is easy enough and I really rate this kit,..... so much that I am already building another and have more planned! Melchie was building a pre production kit and it looks as if they have sorted the problem out. 

That's good news, looks like the problem was down to the test-shot sample. I mentioned it to the team at Telford after they asked me how I'd got on with the kit... if there was an issue it seems to have been ironed out.

• Like 1