Operarion Torch Martlet IV

Beard

On 5/7/2018 at 10:42 AM, CedB said:

Very well 'splashed' Simon, that looks really smooth :)

Thanks Ced. Sky, be it Colourcoats or Humbrol, always seems to go on smooth for me. Dark Slate Grey, on the other hand.

I haven't been paying this build as much attention as it deserves but I've managed to get a couple.of coats of Humbrol 224 on.

2018-05-10_07-41-26

Has anyone got any suggestions as to what colour the wing-fold should be?

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

Im just guessing but I would guess Grumman Grey.  Just did a quick Google and have seen restored aircraft with Grey, black & green.  

Here is a Martlet though..

http://www.historyofwar.org/Pictures/pictures_grumman_martlet4.html

And a Wildcat...

http://thanlont.blogspot.ie/2011/03/grumman-sto-wing-redux.html

Edited by Grey Beema
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Im just guessing but I would guess Grumman Grey.

I going to have to google Grumman Grey... it's not a colour Humbrol do. 🙂

14 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

Just did a quick Google and have seen restored aircraft with Grey, black & green.

Me too and I was hoping for a splash of colour.

you're making great progress with her, t's nice to see her in colours now.

Yeah it should be Grumman Grey FS36440, I haven't found anyone who does this colour, but there's a Humbrol mix. 50/50 Hu:121 & Hu:90. On my monitor to me it looks like Sky with just a hint of tan?

This is a great reference site for US WWII aircraft interiors:

IPSM Interior Colours US Aircraft

• Thanks 1

Nearly there:

2018-05-16_08-38-38

I stupidly removed the bits in the elevators that the rod's from the wing attach to (I'm sure I could have written that in a more elegant manner!), oh well.

A brief google on the retraining rods suggests that they're red. Before I commit to paint, can anyone confirm the colour?

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

I've just finished my one of these after a long spell on the shelf of doom caused by the main landing gear part being broken and then having issues with the fuselage not wanting to go together properly. Watch out in the RFI section or checkout a certain facebook page where I put pics of completed models :)

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mikemx said:

I've just finished my one of these after a long spell on the shelf of doom caused by the main landing gear part being broken and then having issues with the fuselage not wanting to go together properly. Watch out in the RFI section or checkout a certain facebook page where I put pics of completed models :)

thanks

Mike

The landing gear is really detailed but tricky to assemble and fragile and, I had trouble getting the fuselage to go together too.

I'll look for it in the RFI, I closed my Facebook account because I was tired of arguing with RWNJs and racists.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beard said:

A brief google on the retraining rods suggests that they're red. Before I commit to paint, can anyone confirm the colour?

I've only ever seen them painted red so I think you are safe enough there :)

She's looking good B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Beard said:

The landing gear is really detailed but tricky to assemble and fragile and, I had trouble getting the fuselage to go together too.

I'll look for it in the RFI, I closed my Facebook account because I was tired of arguing with RWNJs and racists.

It's a public page, anyone can see it, whether they have a FB account or not but I'll get it on here soon. As for those idiots you mention, my block list is getting bigger all the time and I tend to just hide stuff from people and groups that I find annoying :)

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Beard said:

It's in the RFI now :)

thanks

Mike

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

There's been a lack of progress on the Martlet because my head has been turned by other Group Builds and because my wife made me tidy up so it got stuck in a box an forgotten about.

Anyway, I've been paying it proper attention today and here's where it is now:

2018-06-06_08-24-02

Only the canopy to install and paint and, some touch-ups to do.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 8

On 4/30/2018 at 7:45 AM, trickyrich said:

the real sneaky way is to stuff all the small models you can into the boxes of the bigger model, or keep the big boxes to help stash all the new stuff. A few big boxes is easer to talk away than lots and lots of small ones.  :wicked: Not that I endorse that sort of thing!! :whistle:

Ha, been there, done that !!!

Er, I mean, I have read about people doing that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now finished (actually it's been finished for a while but I haven't got round to taking any photographs), photographs are in the gallery.

Thanks to the organisers and everyone who commented.

• Like 1

well done on a fine looking model, and a bit different looking with a wing folded.

Hope you enjoyed yourself and had fun building something a bit different to a Spitfire. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

well done on a fine looking model, and a bit different looking with a wing folded.

Hope you enjoyed yourself and had fun building something a bit different to a Spitfire. 

Thanks. I enjoyed both my builds and thank you for moderating the GB.