Panther Gs early and else

Howdy, not having finished one of the other builds I started a new one. Inspired by Lloyd and his Meng Panther I wanted to do a Panther as well. I had the Mang A on my list, as well as the latest Dragon G. When I found this kit for a nice price on ebay. I have fancied the molded on Zimmerit before, I gave it a go. 

Nothing new on the running gear, it just went together really well, as expected after the experience with the previous Dragon Panthers.

fh5pscnc.jpg

The detail is exquisite and also the premolded Zimmerit looks fantastic :D

gp6hi4kb.jpg

mpnlqvra.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 6

Good start Soeren. The zimmerit looks pretty decent but it may be a chore to rough it up a bit as it looks too even and uniform

compared to mine.  I thought mine was too rough and uneven but that German veteran I spoke to last week said it wasn't rough enough.

There are all 3 of the new Takom Panther A kits at the LHS now and of course they all need zimmerit.  I'm kind of on the fence about

building an early version as I have the Meng late Panther A, the Dragon G with steel wheels and a Dragon Jagdpanther. I might tackle it and

add the zimmerit but I'd really really like the Trumpeter 1/16 Panther G if it ever comes out. I also don't need another AFV with an interior

that's mostly hidden, especially in 1/35.

Looking forward to see what you make of this one. I was really anticipating the Meng Panther A with the zimmerit you were going to apply. 

How do you keep all of your simultaneous builds straight?

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12
  • Like 1

Thanks Lloyd. The Zimmerit is quite well done. There is plenty of variety in it when you look at comtemporary pictures. Here is one taken at the factory. I would say Dragon got it quite right

But still, yours is very close to what was used as well. It is all scaled down by 35 times.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2

On my Dragon 1/35 King Tiger with the zimmerit I found it was great but I attempted to chip some of it on the back plate where it wouldn't really show and

gave up as it's tough to make it look right.  I covered that little spot with a glob of dried mud so my effort is hidden. Fix it or cover it, whatever works.

At least Dragon got the squares in the zimmerit which I forgot to do, oops!!

Take care,

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

That is such a beautifull and easy build.

The lower hull was slightly turning in at the back and. But as soon as the back plate was mounted everything fit like together like a glove. A special feature of Dragon kits, you get a lot of Styrene "Nuggets" for your Sprue-Glue.

w3fchmju.jpg

And a bit Zimmerit details

bjvnxh3d.jpg

ftww6uqn.jpg

dok76tlg.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4

One thing to be aware of. Dont glue the two halves together before adding the tools. What Dragon doesnt show in the manual, you have to drill all the locations from the inside. Well, Panther fans can do without, but it would have been a bit easier.

• Like 1

Hi Soeren,

Nice looking kit that, and well built by you. Always great to see a kit with the Zimmerit details already there. If you really need to rough it up a bit more you could use the heated end of a screwdriver, or similar. And if you don't fancy that, you can apply Thin Liquid Poly to random 'ridges' and then flatten them down a bit when soft.

Rearguards,

Badder

BTW, I NEVER glue the upper and lower hulls together unless it's absolutely necessary.

I can never be sure what's going to happen to the model. I might fix it to a diorama base using wire looped through holes in the bottom of the hull and down into the base.... and then make a new diorama and want to move the model onto that base instead. That would required cutting the wires and finding a new way to fix it to the new base as there would be no way of threading wires through the hull any more. Being able to remove the upper hull also means naff figures could be replaced, or interior details could be added at a much later date.

Edited by Badder

Hi guys and thanks :D

It isnt actually written in the manual. I had seen someone drilling in a review but couldnt find any remarks there. OK, had I waited for the step to work on, well... But in the end it doesnt matter. After attaching the fenders the racks all go above it and the distance between each bit can be arranged by looking at the manual and the relation to detail features on the hull deck. But it would have been a bit easier of course.

Nice build. Funnily I quite like getting the hull together as soon as possible. It means I can clamp at will without knocking things off.

if you shin a light inside, is the side thin enough for the dimple to show through.

Never tried a zim build. do the tool hangers and clamps go straight on top of the zim?

• Thanks 1

Hi there and thanks for your encouragement :D

I thought I would paint it in the Hohenstaufen paint scheme. It is tritone with large green and brown patches. And it seemed.to have been hard edged.

• 1 month later...

And here is the camo. Revell Olive Green and Vallejo RAL 8012

Decided to mottle it on freehand instead of masking. I guess the way some lines show in the callout would be sprayed on without mask. Considering the result I might have been right.

As always with these callouts, top and the other side are guesswork.

slmzxnrr.jpg

coprb2qf.jpg

bj2gxroi.jpg

w3jrhhir.jpg

• Like 15

Hey Simon, nice work on you stig as well :D. I Wish I could do this in a 1/16 rc tank as well. Didnt have experience with ral 8012 until now, but I like it.  It will change though with filter and washes.

Edited by Soeren

Hi Soeren 

Thanks mate......I learned a lot on the SIG 33, especially the painting. I know now that to lighten the colours across the board as the weathering takes takes it back quite a bit. I’ll lighten them by 20% next time and really accentute the modulation.

Take a look at these

http://migjimenez.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/modulation-and-weathering.html?m=1

http://rustandthecity.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/tutorial-dunkelgelb-colour-modulation.html?m=1

interesting read

Nice camo you did there though. I know the apprehension just before you start....😳. You can’t beat a Panther for some painting fun

Simon

Very nice free hand painting Soeren you hit it right on the nail mate it has made the detail really stand out :yes:

Regards

Richard