Panther Gs early and else

Back to the Jagdpanther, after dryprushing of the oil steel paint, went ahead with somemore glazing layers with the airbrush. Mahagony is great here together with the hull red. Sheen is there, but not too metallic as before.

3p72pxb7.jpg

A quick shoutout here. I was looking for figures to go with the Panther F with nighsights. I guess there is only the Dragon Nachtjäger set. Older figures and not too many shops have them in stock. Found them here though and gave them a try. Quick turnaround and very good information via their shop system on every step.

Maquette Char Promo

nachtjager-berlin-1945-dragon.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The other day I added the remaining hooks to the left side around the cupola. The gunner and commander should feel safer now. I added some rough weld marks and then blended the paint on by brush adding some discoloration around these. Guess they wouldn't spray the entire turret again for a perfect match in such a field modification.

85e7c2ba022d7971461ee8049f88a423.jpg

This is it with one track on. I plan to swap every third link with the winter version that I put on the Jagdpanther and that caused me so much trouble. I can then file out each hole in the link before final assembly. The Jagdpanther will then get new set of tracks one day. By this I will also have plenty pare tracks to put on tanks.

Looks like a Panther now.

c4d9072dd332a32f299bc0cbe240e2f6.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2

I am not completely sure. Might put in the electronics to get it working and then put it aside until weathering when the weather is warmer, so I can work with spirits. On such large surfaces there is a lot of evaporation and that wont do to well in my room.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,  I was unhappy withe the muzzle brake. There was no real option for 16th scale tanks available. Finally aber came up with a version. I am sure they waited for a wider market. Trumpeter gave them a reason to produce one. That thing is fantastic. You get a threaded section  to put into the barrel that also has inside details. Then the brake is threaded and counter locked in place, secured with latch and pin like the real thing.

9666e69454add1a7f15d50b19816aacc.jpg

041334260fc000d70d8128d423218071.jpg

Edited by Soeren

Thank you Jack. I guess I can progress forever without finishing the models.

Speaking of Muzzle Brakes, did the late Jagdpanther and the Henschel Tiger II actually share the same type? According to the Aber upgrade available in 1/35th scale it should. But I couldn't find any reference yet.

2 hours ago, Soeren said:

Thank you Jack. I guess I can progress forever without finishing the models.

Speaking of Muzzle Brakes, did the late Jagdpanther and the Henschel Tiger II actually share the same type? According to the Aber upgrade available in 1/35th scale it should. But I couldn't find any reference yet.

Yes both vehicles used the 88mm KwK 43 main gun so identical muzzle breaks.

Try painting '135' on the tracks hanging from the turret, do you still have the mask you used to paint the turret?

Edited by Jack Klugman

I wasn't sure about that. Although it is the same cannon sometimes different muzzle brakes were used. For the numbers. Yes, I still have the stencils. But was about to leave them under the links and won't put them on top. Pictures available show both options.

Cut the barrel and added the brake before some Mr surface treatment. Night and day difference. 

587bbd8b98c24ed85f6cd99337acff54.jpg

10 hours ago, Soeren said:

I wasn't sure about that. Although it is the same cannon sometimes different muzzle brakes were used. For the numbers. Yes, I still have the stencils. But was about to leave them under the links and won't put them on top. Pictures available show both options.

Cut the barrel and added the brake before some Mr surface treatment. Night and day difference. 

587bbd8b98c24ed85f6cd99337acff54.jpg

I have just reviewed both my old Dragon G1 early and my brand new Tacom G1 late and the Tacom kit has a muzzle more or less identical to the Aber one while the Dragon version is the same as the one you posted. There were slightly different versions of the 8.8 cm Pak 43 in service and I guess that there were slightly different buzzle breaks out there too, however for my money the Aber one is the more accurate. Remember the Jadgpanther used the Pak43/3 and the Pak 43/4 there may have been variations 

However I have checked more than a few pics of the Jadgpanther and all of them have the aber type muzzle break.

I think you should paint the track links on the turret, that was commonly done ! 

• Like 1

That is good to know, thanks. Aber sells two 1/16th scale muzzle brakes for a 8.8cm Tiger II. They call it for Porsche or Henschel turrets.  At 1/35th scale they also mention the Jagdpanther early and late. That made me think. Bit with only the Tamiya Jagdpanther model in 1/16th scale they might not bother. We need Trumpeter to do one.

Edited by Soeren

13 minutes ago, Soeren said:

That is good to know, thanks. Aber sells two 1/16th scale muzzle brakes for a 8.8cm Tiger II. They call it for Porsche or Henschel turrets.  At 1/35th scale they also mention the Jagdpanther early and late. That made me think. Bit with only the Tamiya Jagdpanther model in 1/16th scale they might not bother. We need Trumpeter to do one.

That's because the initial versions of the 88mm used on the "Porsche" kingtiger was a mono barrel while the version used on the "Henschel" kingtiger used a two piece barrel. Turns out that the mono barrel wore out quicker which is why you can find "porsche" turrets retrofitted with new guns

I dont have original pictures from back then. The Aber manual sheet showed some texture. Some pictures of museum tanks dont. But you never know what was done to them during restoration. So call it artistic license.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there, two minor updates here. Finally did the tracks for the Panther. It is a mix of  29 ice gripper links in a total of 86 links.

e25fb395db79b47a26785640a34847dd.jpg

Then I have the muzzle brake on the Shumo Jagdpanther barrel.

451d805f755c15aa594a2a6baa2254aa.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Two things on the Jagdpanthera.

Firstly, the grey barrel on the 1/16th scale tank was rather boring. With addition of the better muzzle brake it needed some more attention to the paint job as well.

a48e2bcd0bdfa2dc83019e14470b5e5d.jpg

Secondly. Some work on the Men Jagdpanther. Did the yellow on wheels and hull. Used washable agent good on wheels, nice rubbing effect.  Added  way too much on the hull. The paint can easily be washed off with water and doesn't look too nice then. So some really careful approach has to be taken now.

z6Eus5g.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1