Panther Gs early and else

A start has been made.

The front Zimmerit is slightly longer than the hull and the machinegun ball is slightly closer to the inside, when compared to the original position. The side zimmerit is too short though, by about 10mm. So there was the need for putting a strip in. Interesting to note. Although Zimmerit and Voyager PE are meant for the Tamiya Panther, they dont exactly match with the preformed positions for the tool racks.

Side fenders, and compartment heater cut and started reshaping the back area. The detail is very soft there. Will see to change to bolts for the engine cover plate and see what else is needed. On the turret I tried Vallejo Putty for the weld lines. Looks promising as those are recessed already and just need some filling and sanding though and one of those resin aftermarket spares. 

I know, this is not the dragon kit, but this will be build according the the previous.

file.php?id=71450&mode=view

Also worked on the turret a bit more. Have to figure out the gun assembly now. I got me a Tamiya Panther barrel, but neither that, nor the ATAK Mantlet work with the Taigen Turret mounts. The turret for the weld line treatment and some Mr surfacer texture as well. Vallejo Putty works well for doing the weld lines in recessed channels like present here.

file.php?id=71476&mode=view

Reworked the handles on turret. I knew the Meng nuts would come in handy in the future.

file.php?id=71511

Also managed to add the tracks to the 1/35 Dragon tank. Will need some more pigments to diversify the look. It is nice and easy to glue these tracks in place, but the look of Magic Tracks is just better.

8xg6z5ua.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4

That zimmerit looks good to me, better than my wood filler attempt as it has the checker board squares that I forgot.  The top of the turret looks

great, like the subtle armour texture.

Sure looks better with shoes on too.

Take care,

Lloyd

20 hours ago, BlackMax12 said:

..........The top of the turret looks great, like the subtle armour texture.

Sure looks better with shoes on too.

Take care,

Lloyd

I have to second that Soeren from BlackMax.....the turret top really looks factory produced. I believe their is a fine line between that sort of accuracy in the welds etc....you have it there really cool......:goodjob:

Simon.

Thank you.

Well, The next moment of truth is when the base coat is going on. But for now I added some further detail and the gun including the recoil servo. Will see what is really needed next before primer.

file.php?id=71534&mode=view

file.php?id=71535&mode=view

• Like 2

Went ahead and gave it a primer coat fromn a ArmyPainter can I had lying around. Worked well and fels resilient. Made the rolled steel texture visible and higlighted some mold marks at the mg support ring that now have to be filled. Next will be painting, after all the none Zim surfaces got some Mr surfacer treatment.

file.php?id=71574&mode=view

• Like 4

by Soeren » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:16 am

Hey there,

went ahead and gave the turret a base coat. Decided to go much lighter for the "Dunkelgelb" to start off and tinge it with filters. The small one was a bit too dark for my taste.

So here we are.

file.php?id=71609&mode=view

file.php?id=71610&mode=view

file.php?id=71611&mode=view

file.php?id=71612&mode=view

file.php?id=71613&mode=view

• Like 4

Thanks Simon and Mick. Although the pattern is very similar to the 1/35 kit, it looks totally different with the more "cold" tinge in the paint.

Here is an outside shot after some more highlighting in the green and the "sand" - more appropriate term , than "Dunkelgelb" -

file.php?id=71621&mode=view

Now let the paint cure for a few days before enamel filters. Meanwhile working on the Tiger.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This has been some busy days. Not modelling too much. So here is some update. Added the servos to the inside and now have elevation and recoil

ec44f4ce45e04dcb3bb74066d8614171.jpg

Also went ahead with the engine deck details.

Reshaped the panel line and added those strips on the outside some meng bolts will complement that. The voyager set contains the top of the fuel and cooler water caps. Some people fret soldered to it and you have the cap.  ut the compartment heater and needed a flat cover for that. Choices: single PU or double pewter piece? I went for the double from diorama parts. Nice cast texture for free. To much I would say. But Mr surface helps out again. For the girders I went with Tamiya ones. Gorgeous interwoven look. While I was at it, got another set of engine deck vents.

a1588754cb43237e61cd014bc793576d.jpg

• Like 3

Besides doing the large one, I went ahead and put the tracks on the small one.

After once talking about the shade of tracks being more brownish and not too shiny, I went ahead and mixed some metal paint with vallejo rust and Mahagony. Still shiny, but with a reddish tinge.

luhxi5ke.jpg

hume43m9.jpg

And of course some more done on the big back side

6f94926af478e4fc93721f7dfb83944e.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you guys.  It is great fun atm.  Added a few details yesterday and maybe only have the rivet redo and the 4 large lifting hooks left to do. Will see what will follow. But some primer to look for some major issues wouldn't be a bad idea as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there. I am only working on the 1/16th scale Panther right now. The back deck is finished 2835162c4dfbacba23e7ae3c6f5f83fe.jpg

Next was some work on the side hangers. The Voyager PE is rather thin, so I sandwiched some .5 to 1mm styrene between the hull and the hangers to make it look stronger. At the moment I am working on the fenders any got me a lower hull with metal design wheels. I now have two Panthers with regular wheels. So it was time for something different.

186d81d77028401b6cf1ef41d9f1286f.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers Francis, still a long way to go. But it is taking shape. Added another interesting detail made by hpk modellbau

b933bbe506bbe993be51e94cac8274ac.jpg

It is a nicely made double layered turret roof armour.

I am not sure if I can keep up the pace though.  There are some tempting kits coming out these days. Top and foremost the Meng Jagdpanther. And I see, Takom is going for a Jagdpanther with interior. 😎

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Too much life that kept me away from modeling. Just managed to add and secure the left side fender. Now the upper hull is done and I can move the the lower hull.

bb4cffdfc5acfb0e05ca5f67746c0bb2.jpg

Something might interfere again. Mengs JP is available again, and Takom is going to add some amazing Panthers to its range as well. I thought I would be able to also model other tanks. But how... with these makers tempting me. 😎

• Like 3

And here you go. Only one week later.Went ahead with the back zim. Needed to increase the section around the back hatches and tweek the various parts around the exhausts. I was thinking about changing to cast 3xhaust covers for the difference. But not worth it for me. So just added some weld lines and a touch of texture. Getting closer. Good thing about the Panzer tracts, it has all the parts inside. Large crow bar should be 180cm. Easy now to get the proper size. Also a nice top down view for the cover on top the driver/radioman. Etc.

b3b684044ca8b563dc566bbb6daaac36.jpg

47a430f3e1e2e16a81ab3b7bc570af82.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2