Panther Gs early and else

12 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Hi Soeren 

Thanks mate......I learned a lot on the SIG 33, especially the painting. I know now that to lighten the colours across the board as the weathering takes takes it back quite a bit. I’ll lighten them by 20% next time and really accentute the modulation.

Take a look at these

http://migjimenez.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/modulation-and-weathering.html?m=1

http://rustandthecity.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/tutorial-dunkelgelb-colour-modulation.html?m=1

interesting read

Nice camo you did there though. I know the apprehension just before you start....😳. You can’t beat a Panther for some painting fun

Simon

Thank you Simon,

also for the links. I know the fantastic results Mig Jimenez gets and it looks sooo casual when he is working on things. But I hadnt recognized, that you would have to give such contrast in the base color to achieve the result. 

But I see. While the paint on my Panther looks modulated in the first picture with the artificial lighting, it is nearly gone in the daylight. My approach is a little different though, as I will do the highlighting wiht oil paints after filter and washes.

Still might try that Jimenez approach in the future. And I always like his statement: "Is it realistic? No! We are building plastic models and it is to give the model more interest." That is sufficient and summarizes the whole point of the hobby.

8 hours ago, Ripaman said:

Very nice free hand painting Soeren you hit it right on the nail mate it has made the detail really stand out :yes:

Regards

Richard 

Thank you Richard, the surface structure really pops now, I hope to add more interest with the fruther painting. Although I wont go crazy in the dirt department this time.

1 hour ago, mick said:

great camo work

Thank you Mick.

Thank you both, Mick and Stix. It was a different approach this time.

Great thing, you always learn something. For me it was the way of creating clouds around a general guiding line instead of trying to to the outlines and to get the inside done as on my Tigers. That is great about this hobby, just try things.

Edited by Soeren

Thank you very much Francis :)

Now, I did something more. Gave it a thin wash of MIG Filter for tri tone camo with a few Drops of Brown wash for Dunkelgelb. Thinned down a bit, but, I think the paint has somewhat congregated, the Pigments seem a bit coarse now. For my plans it was alright though. I planned to Keep the dirt stuff simple this time. So appled the Filter/Wash to darken some Features and to create dirt deposits prone to gravity. Just let it flow and only blend when it was too strong. Here is a side shot the Bottom of the hull Looks similar. That is a nice base to work on, some Pigments and that it will be.

btctknu9.jpg

For the top of the hull it was rather subtle and Needs some more application of a pin wash, but I already went into it with some oil paint Modulation. Drying time hase to be born in mind, before application of a semi gloss coat to seal it. 

The decals are on as well. Anthe These were a pain in the a.. thick and rigid, took plenty of care to make them get into the groves of the zimm and finally had to cut it here and there, to let it conform. sanding the zim down in such Areas would be a good idea.

32w59mhn.jpg

u7lb4gu2.jpg

I just love These Dragon Panther kits. Could build them all day. But have a Tiger with Borgward Incoming, a real snap from eBay. Have a look there, there is a seller giving them away for 50€

Thanks for watching :D

• Like 6

Hey there, came a bit further. Gloss coat yesterday and started on the detail painting today before various washes. Also thought to fight my figure fear and just try it. Here are two of the guys from the recent Tamiya German Tanker set. Also have a group of 4 Infantry form an MB set. Might try those as well. Here are pictures outside this evening.

Note to myself: dont be cheap, paint tools OFF the tank.

qbcryxh5.jpg

jc5ye62t.jpg

• Like 6

That was the easy part I guess.  Started on painting the figures. That is a whole different thing. Still, I would say even a mediocre figure looks better than no figure. 

Took some time here. 

2v523u42.jpg

v76fvoyb.jpg

• Like 5

Been busy today, pinwashing and testfitting the figures. Commander is in the making as well.

Went Forward with a panelliner for green vehicles. That one is a really dark black brown.

45e2o59u.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 6

I wouldn't beat yourself up Soeren on the figures......nice job..:yes:. I'm not looking to doing mine to be honest.....but they do add something if you add them to a vehicle.

A nice clean build and project.:goodjob:

Simon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I wouldn't beat yourself up Soeren on the figures......nice job..:yes:. I'm not looking to doing mine to be honest.....but they do add something if you add them to a vehicle.

A nice clean build and project.:goodjob:

Simon.

Thank you as well Simon. That was my fear of figures all the time. But I realize, even a mediocre or just clean painted figure adds more to the overall look than it takes even without a magnificent paintjob. And I realize that figure painting takes up a lot of time. It looks so easy when you see all those youtube tutorials. But it isnt.

18 minutes ago, Soeren said:

Thank you as well Simon. That was my fear of figures all the time. But I realize, even a mediocre or just clean painted figure adds more to the overall look than it takes even without a magnificent paintjob. And I realize that figure painting takes up a lot of time. It looks so easy when you see all those youtube tutorials. But it isnt.

I know mate.....I've been doing the same and "brushing up" on my knowledge of figure painting. I always shy'd away from them in my youth when I did modelling. But I  think my SIG 33 needs one to liven it up. Might get into it next week and see how it goes......😬

Edited by Redcoat2966
  • Like 1

The panel liner added much dark shades due to the even distribution in the zimmerit pattern. Went ahead with a terpentine cotton bud an later dry brushed with green, brown and yellow oil paints. Might go at it with a thin filter before some pigments.

WP_20180607_08_37_28_Pro.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4

Painting takes longer than building, at least for me.

This is after another matt clearcoat and a filter, and first go at pigments and using a grime mix for streaking and dusting. Will see how long it will take.

prayqwj7.jpg

• Like 3

Thank you both Simon and Kris.

I figure it is the layering thing. From base camo to now It is 2 layers of wash, 2 layers of filter and 2 layers of oilpaint highlighting. And the next thin I learned: I dont use a premade wash, filter, or wheathering product on the whole model anymore. I now tend to mix in pallets whatever product I am using. For instance the left over Tan Filter was mixed with some Streaking Grime and Thinners and worked into streaks and grime accumulations. It is much more time consuming, but I feel to have beter control like that, and I am still learning. But that is the way as I do it right now.

3 hours ago, Soeren said:

Thank you both Simon and Kris.

I figure it is the layering thing. From base camo to now It is 2 layers of wash, 2 layers of filter and 2 layers of oilpaint highlighting. And the next thin I learned: I dont use a premade wash, filter, or wheathering product on the whole model anymore. I now tend to mix in pallets whatever product I am using. For instance the left over Tan Filter was mixed with some Streaking Grime and Thinners and worked into streaks and grime accumulations. It is much more time consuming, but I feel to have beter control like that, and I am still learning. But that is the way as I do it right now.

Hi Soeren

Im a designer and painter by trade and what your doing their is what we call a “sympathetic pallette” I agree with your point and it’s the way I go in the painting stage. I use a limited pallette on my afv’s.

i have three pre- mixed shades of dunked gel and use them in varying mixes with possibly three more colours and get the shades that way. I think your right on pre bought products. You can get carried away and you can get a disjointed look. As I said, the goal for me and what I think your getting is all the colours sitting together on the same level of intensity.

looks a really nice cat you have there...👌

• Like 1

That sounds rather interesting. And indeed I am using limited products. The same is true for pigments, But I always tend to mix em now. With some shades up and down.

This is now with the wheels attached, the look of the side hull treatment. And my oilpaint pallette, this is the set I was using for the different colors on the Panther camo so far. The sand and light grey are always nice to work the dust accumulations, like I did on the mid wheels already before putting on the outer ones. Now have to get the tracks and idler wheels going.

Pantherhullwheels.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2018 at 21:30, Soeren said:

Painting takes longer than building, at least for me.

This is after another matt clearcoat and a filter, and first go at pigments and using a grime mix for streaking and dusting. Will see how long it will take.

prayqwj7.jpg

Hey there, the look of this thing just made me wanna try that on a biggy as well. I really like that kind of camoflage now.

So while I was looking for some tools, I found a box with some almos forgoten content.

lujffghc.jpg

Yup, that is the older version of a Taigen Panther G upper in 1/16th scale

So I thought to try it and mod this into an early G. The back deck will need some rework considering the air intake on the left and have to count the rivet on the engine cover. Maybe I will try to open the engine cover as well so to be able to access switches. But we will see. I ordered some goodies that arrived today

PE16026_01.jpg

PE16024.jpg

PE16021.jpg

I know ABER is higher quality and the Voyager stuff is rather thin when put in scale, but in some instances their pieces can be beefed up with either PE scrap or even thin styrene sheet. I didnt read any reviews of the Voyager PE yet. But the upper two sets were close to 40% off at Sockelshop.de and considering the amount of stuff in it, I like to say it was a bargain.

Also I fancied the ATAK Zimmerit for the Panther for a long time. And I have to say, it is just plain beautifull.

38421285.jpg

This set also includes Zimmerit for the sides of ther lower hull, something I had not seen on Gs yet. Maybe some of you know of one?

That is a closeup of the mantlet

file.php?id=71404&mode=view

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 3